eggs

Options

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to eat healthy whole foods, not processed foods. You are processing out the yolk unnecessarily. It's good for you.

My daily fat macro is higher percentage wise than my carb macro and I'm a runner. I eat my yolks, probably have six eggs or more a week. BP is 109/62. Resting heart rate 45. Blood work is a-ok. I'm 53.

One thing this thread has done is decide for me what I'm having for lunch. Eggs. :smile:
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just throw them out. I eat 4-8 hard boiled eggs a day and never eat the yolk. egg whites are great source of protein when following a low calorie diet.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I usually eat either two eggs or one egg and two servings of egg whites every morning for breakfast.

None, But my ducks and chickens lay every day.
    Soon my geese and guinea well lay eggs as well.
    It's sad really, I have an allergy to chicken eggs and am trying to find a bird that will lay eggs I can eat without a reaction. My next bird to raise in quail, since they lay cute little eggs. I hope I can eat those! :/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs at a time, unless we go to the diner. I'll eat a 3 egg omelet there. If I'm going to budget the calories for a trip there, I'm going to eat the whole thing.

In the past, if the eggs were in the form of egg salad? I shudder to think of the quantity of eggs involved. Possibly up to 6. I have a problem with egg salad. I NEED a food scale for it.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb is to eat healthy whole foods, not processed foods. You are processing out the yolk unnecessarily. It's good for you.

My daily fat macro is higher percentage wise than my carb macro and I'm a runner. I eat my yolks, probably have six eggs or more a week. BP is 109/62. Resting heart rate 45. Blood work is a-ok. I'm 53.

One thing this thread has done is decide for me what I'm having for lunch. Eggs. :smile:

I think the first sentence here is a bit confusing. Removing an egg yolk and eating the white is hardly "processing" the food. I agree with the general rule of thumb, but only if you understand it. Fish is good for you, but based on what your saying I shouldn't "process" out the fillet, but instead eat the fins / scales / guts??
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs at a time, unless we go to the diner. I'll eat a 3 egg omelet there. If I'm going to budget the calories for a trip there, I'm going to eat the whole thing.

In the past, if the eggs were in the form of egg salad? I shudder to think of the quantity of eggs involved. Possibly up to 6. I have a problem with egg salad. I NEED a food scale for it.

I started making a single serving kind, if you will lol.
    2 hard boiled eggs
    1 tbsp mayo
    2 tsp yellow mustard
    1 tsp each salt and pepper
    Mix together, and nom nom lol.
    I like to make things up in larger quantities and store them, but I can't control myself around egg salad if I don't make one serving at a time. I do keep a stash of boiled eggs on hand so I can whip up some in a pinch lol!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I never understood the separating out the yolks if you're not baking with a recipe that just uses egg whites. That's where a lot of the protein is!

And I can't resist this, these kind of discussions always make me think of this!
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/eggsong
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

2 hard boiled eggs
    1 tbsp mayo
    2 tsp yellow mustard
    I like to make things up in larger quantities and store them, but I can't control myself around egg salad if I don't make one serving at a time. I do keep a stash of boiled eggs on hand so I can whip up some in a pinch lol!

I am so glad to know that there's another weirdo like me who can't control themselves when it comes to the siren song of egg salad!

Well, I can now, I just weigh out my portion. I've had serious issues in the past.

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

2 hard boiled eggs
    1 tbsp mayo
    2 tsp yellow mustard

I am so glad to know that there's another weirdo like me who can't control themselves when it comes to the siren song of egg salad!

Well, I can now, I just weigh out my portion. I've had serious issues in the past.

Me too! It's so addicting to me lol! That's when I finally just started making a single serving for myself when I want some. Then if I want more, I have to make more, and I'm usually too lazy to do that again. :laugh:
    I don't have a scale yet, getting one when hubby gets paid again, but I've been eyeing a specific black digital one at Walmart! :wink:
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It depends how many eggs you eat and if you want/need to maintain levels of cholesterol. If you eat, for example, 15 eggs every second day that would give you ~2790mg from that day if you would eat whole eggs. Daily recommended cholesterol limit is 300mg. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    U wot. There are days I have 3-5 whole eggs in one sitting lol. Buy egg whites if you just want the protein. I mix egg whites/egg beater into my whole eggs to make a huge omelette or scrambled eggs.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    tziol wrote: »
    It depends how many eggs you eat and if you want/need to maintain levels of cholesterol. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

The article that you posted basically says flat out that, "A solid body of research shows that for most people, cholesterol in food has a much smaller effect on blood levels of total cholesterol and harmful LDL cholesterol than does the mix of fats in the diet."

In other words, simply consuming a "high" amount of cholesterol isn't going to lead to having unhealthy blood cholesterol levels. Only those with certain medical conditions need to be concerned. High cholesterol is more than likely inherited. If so, and you are worried, consult your doctor and focus on your diet and exercise.
    tziol wrote: »
    Daily recommended cholesterol limit is 300mg.

This information is based on outdated studies. It will take time before the society learns and it becomes "seen" as the norm, but I am confident it eventually will.

You may enjoy this read: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

Food for thought on food cholesterol scares, which are not grounded in any scientific fact...

cholesterol+mortalite.JPG
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    j75j75 wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Curious... how many eggs does everyone normally eat?

5-6 with turkey/ham/chicken/onion/tomato/cheese/whatever's laying around is usually a decent sized meal for me but my roommate (a guy roughly the same size as me) gets full after 3 eggs without all the goodies cooked in.

I try to get 6-12 eggs a day, sometimes more. Today was a two egg day though because I ran out and didn't have time to head to the store. Lately I've been trying out duck and quail eggs as well :)

hmm duck and quail, tell me more bro

Duck eggs are waaaay better tasting in my opinion. Fry em up over easy in some grass-fed butter, heaven :)

Quail eggs are well, small lol. I use them mainly on salads or raw in smoothies. They're a good alternative if you have a chicken egg allergy

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Curious... how many eggs does everyone normally eat?

5-6 with turkey/ham/chicken/onion/tomato/cheese/whatever's laying around is usually a decent sized meal for me but my roommate (a guy roughly the same size as me) gets full after 3 eggs without all the goodies cooked in.

I try to get 6-12 eggs a day, sometimes more. Today was a two egg day though because I ran out and didn't have time to head to the store. Lately I've been trying out duck and quail eggs as well :)

I haven't had a chicken egg since I got my ducks.

Nice!! How many ducks do you have? How many eggs a day do you get from them?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I kind of dream of living on a big plot of land with a pond so I can have a fleet of Indian Runner Ducks. Those little buggers are the cutest things ever to watch running around. Like crazed manic penguins on crack, they are.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat the whole egg, because eggs without yolks are sad...

why are you separating them?

I can see eggs without yolks if you're only going for lower calorie protein. But maybe the OP is separating them because she makes A LOT of meringue.

You know what's really sad tho? Sometimes I'll buy egg substitute to use in a recipe when I'm feeling adventurous (because I don't cook) but will only use half a cup or so. I'd rather not waste the rest of the carton so I'll eat the egg substitute as I would normal eggs and the last time I tried this.....look up SAD in the dictionary. There's a picture of the egg substitute right on the page and you can taste the sadness just from looking at it.

:smiley:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Make a frittata!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I think you can freeze the yolks.

We have a recipe for these jam filled shortbread cookies for Christmas time and they take 3 yolks...you could save to make a lovely hollandaise or custard. I would however just buy the carton of egg whites instead of separating them if you have too many and will throw out and waste.
  • chadr74
    chadr74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have always ate only the whites as well! But after seeing this thread and doing a little research looks like the yolk is not as bad as I thought. I will start eating some yolks!