Pre workout meal?

Options
I am a huge breakfast fan so I usually eat a decent sized breakfast then workout about an hour later but recently I've been feeling kind of sick if I go for a jog or any cardio and I think it's because I eat before working out.

I am willing to eat a lighter snack or just wait till after excercise before eating but I'm just looking for ideas of what to eat and how long to wait after eating to workout?

Has anyone had experience with this? Also I have heard that more fat is burned if you don't eat before working out in the morning but I'm not sure if that is true?

Any ideas or advice appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    dlajambe wrote: »
    Also I have heard that more fat is burned if you don't eat before working out in the morning but I'm not sure if that is true?
    That part has been fairly definitively shown not to be true. Your body is always burning a mixture of the three macro-nutrients, you can't force it to prefer fat just by having an empty stomach.

As to what to eat, you're probably best off experimenting, it seems to come down to personal preference. Depending on how intense the exercise is and if you're currently losing weight versus maintaining, consuming a small amount of protein in the window around the workout (an hour before to an hour after), might have some muscle sparing effects.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I usually consume a protein shake (scoop or two in a blender bottle) about 60 minutes before and immediately after training. I'll then eat a whole food meal an hour or two later. It works for me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast too. But When I work out in the mornings I take a handful of dry cereal and a cup of coffee to consume on my drive to the gym. Then I eat breakfast once i get to work.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think by fat the OP means body fat, not which macro to eat to use as intentional fuel.

Personally, I don't eat before I run in the morning. I don't like my stomach feeling kind of full and noticed it hurts my performance if I eat too close to running. I also don't want to wake up at 5:30am to go for a long run at 8am just so I can eat something and not feel it bouncing around in there. If the big breakfast is bothering your stomach then try a lighter snack or not eating anything at all and see how you feel. I have had things like toast with almond butter and some water/gatorade and that didn't upset it too much but it is just easier for me to go for a run then come home and make a massive, delicious breakfast. So its up to you on how you want to handle it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I think by fat the OP means body fat, not which macro to eat to use as intentional fuel.
    There isn't a huge difference between burning fat from diet versus taking from the body. At the end of the day, the body is going to have to mobilize the same number of calories to do the same amount of work, regardless of if it comes from carbs, free floating fat, cellular fat.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I need to eat about 2 hours before I put in a hard workout or I'm going to feel sick to my stomach.

If I have to get some calories I'll do a protein shake, which doesn't sit there like food would :)
  • dlajambe
    dlajambe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful advice! I am going to try and eat a small snack instead to see if that works better for me. And for those who were wondering I was meaning body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    There isn't a huge difference between burning fat from diet versus taking from the body. At the end of the day, the body is going to have to mobilize the same number of calories to do the same amount of work, regardless of if it comes from carbs, free floating fat, cellular fat.
    Actually there is. One burns more fat at rest than doing any other type of exercise to encourage it. Glycogen is the primary fuel source for any physical activity first and foremost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I usually consume a protein shake (scoop or two in a blender bottle) about 60 minutes before and immediately after training. I'll then eat a whole food meal an hour or two later. It works for me.

I do this as well...can't eat a meal before a workout...makes me feel sick and slows me down! I generally do my routine around 9/10am, so it works well