Les Mills GRIT Instructor Training

Options
Relaeh
Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am training to certify to be a GRIT instructor....any advice from anyone who has already done it? Tips for success? I've been training with the cardio, plyo and strength releases 3x/week....LOVE IT! Training weekend June 27th

Replies

• Relaeh
    Options
    No one!?!?!
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Bump
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Bump
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Really...nobody?!?! So nervous...counting down the days!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm not an instructor but since no one posted and I've taken Grit Strength from two different instructors as a fluffy person trying to get in shape, I will offer my insight.

Most of it should be covered in the certification, or I would hope, and a good part of how you do will be based on just being yourself. Every instructor for fitness classes has their own dynamic. The only one I don't recommend is being so intense you off put new members who might find some of the workouts too challenging because you want to be able to encourage a small room full of people, all that will have varying levels of abilities. Most people aren't found of insults or jabs used as motivation (though a rare few may like that approach).

Know a few alternatives for some of the moves so that people can still do stuff when it's beyond their ability. It could be as simple as push ups (I couldn't do on the ground and on my knees doesn't work either, so I had to come up with my own ways to do those parts) or it could be one of the lifts that might be best with body weight for some instead of using the weights provided.

Be patient. The classes change often, so even the ones that go on a regular basis may struggle to follow at times because there are the new sets that come out on a schedule along with instructors cycling through some of the older variations. Depending where you teach the class, you will have people who have no idea about the classes or what to do, along with some who are seasoned in both cardio and lifting. Male or female, the clients in the classes can vary and that includes any age (location will vary).

Have fun. The classes are good for that aspect and those following along will enjoy it and work hard as you do the same.
  • Relaeh
    Options
    That was very insightful and helpful! Actually discussed a lot of this yesterday with one of the other trainers. I know this type of activity will be intense and new for most of the members at the gym I'm in, but I'm hoping they find it as exhilarating as I do! I am more of a positive motivator and would never try to make people feel bad or uncomfortable because something was difficult for them. I've been there, I know! When I started BodyPump, I had a really hard time and needed to modify. That's become my love for the last 4 years.
    I've been training with only one release to build stamina..strength seems to be much easie than plyo and cardio, although all are very challenging in their own way.
    Thanks again for the response :)
  • deltayork
    deltayork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    HI @Relaeh! I just searched Grit in the forums and found your post. I echo what @DawnEmbers is saying. I am a grit addict and have two favorite instructors that teach very differently. One shows form more and focuses on individual attention, the other tends to give a brief instruction of each move and does the workout with the group. Are you co-teaching with anyone right now? Most instructors I know, love helping teach new Grit Coach's. Strength is the easiest for me. Cardio always kicks my tail! Haven't tried plyo yet... intimidated by that one. Our classes can have anywhere from 4-15 people. Grit works best in smaller group classes and more focused attention. It's the next best thing I do without having a personal trainer :). Good Luck on your video!