I NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WHO HAS LOST THE LAST TEN!!!

EpiGaiaRepens
EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok. I've had it with this last ten pounds. I'm all confused about what I should do- the advice is all over the place.

What I have done:
I've upped my exercise- running longer runs, adding in stair reps, trying to be dedicated to running at least 4 x's a week, added in weights (yes I know this could make muscle weigh more...but I been doing them for a couple weeks now and I think that factor should have settled down by now!). I'm still eating some, if not all, of my exercise calories back. I began measuring my food (for a while I was guestimating- so I'm back on track with that)....

What I know I should do but I'm struggling with:
Eliminating high carb foods like breads (I'm vegetarian so that's not so easy); Eat less processed foods (I used to do all whole foods, but I still don't think I'm that bad as it stands); exercise more (its' a function of time)...

I could really use anecdotal stories from people who lost that last ten on what they did to accomplish that goal! I have lost 35 lbs already on MFP and have reached what was my original goal. But now I'm here and I have this belly fat that I'd really like to see go away!

I'm also curious if it makes sense for me to stop eating my exercise calories back. I looked at my diary and I'm eating 1500 cals a day on a regular basis....when I lost the 35 lbs, I ate 1200 religiously but I wasn't running or lifting weights then.... maybe I need to cut back on my calories again while continuing to run???

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Well, this is easy... EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES BACK... you're sending your body into starvation mode! :flowerforyou:
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    sounds like to me that your body is getting use to your eating plan...have u tried or looked into calorie cycling( zig zag diet)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Maybe you are estimating too high a calorie burn for your runs now that you are lighter. Just to be on the safe side, I would not eat all the exercise calories back.

My last 10 came off when I upped my running, but I did not eat all my calories back. I always tried to leave 100-200 calories "on the table" just in case I was estimating something incorrectly.
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    intresting question gonna bump. thanks
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Well, this is easy... EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES BACK... you're sending your body into starvation mode! :flowerforyou:

She says she is eating most if not all of her exercise calories back and she is asking if she should not be......so she can't be in starvation mode. I think you might have misread her question
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I am going to go against everyone here and ask you to check out the link in my signature. My original weight loss was those last 10lbs. It took me 6 months to lose them. About a month ago I came across Mark's Daily Apple. I decided to try it - In 3 weeks I dropped 4.6 lbs of pure body fat (Almost 15lbs total). This body fat has come off the areas where it is stored genetically (belly, butt and thighs).

It isn't just high carbs - it's all carbs - all carbs cause a spike in blood sugar which makes our body secrete insulin - which promotes fat storage. Read through the articles (check out Primal Blueprint 101). Read about "Chronic Cardio" (more exercise will not make you lose more weight - it can in fact has the opposite effect) and grains and sugars. Read the success stories. Register at the site and receive the free ebook on Primal Blueprint Fitness (you don't need a lot of exercise to stay fit).

Try the 30 day challenge. That's what I did and I now know I will never go back to listening to Conventional Wisdom. (my ratios? 15% carb/25% pro/60% fat.)

And one other thing: Buy a book called "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About it" by Gary Taubes. If I was religious I would say that I have been saved from 'Conventional Wisdom'.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Ok. I've had it with this last ten pounds. I'm all confused about what I should do- the advice is all over the place.

What I have done:
    I've upped my exercise- running longer runs, adding in stair reps, trying to be dedicated to running at least 4 x's a week, added in weights (yes I know this could make muscle weigh more...but I been doing them for a couple weeks now and I think that factor should have settled down by now!). I'm still eating some, if not all, of my exercise calories back. I began measuring my food (for a while I was guestimating- so I'm back on track with that)....

What I know I should do but I'm struggling with:
    Eliminating high carb foods like breads (I'm vegetarian so that's not so easy); Eat less processed foods (I used to do all whole foods, but I still don't think I'm that bad as it stands); exercise more (its' a function of time)...

I could really use anecdotal stories from people who lost that last ten on what they did to accomplish that goal! I have lost 35 lbs already on MFP and have reached what was my original goal. But now I'm here and I have this belly fat that I'd really like to see go away!

I'm also curious if it makes sense for me to stop eating my exercise calories back. I looked at my diary and I'm eating 1500 cals a day on a regular basis....when I lost the 35 lbs, I ate 1200 religiously but I wasn't running or lifting weights then.... maybe I need to cut back on my calories again while continuing to run???

I got to goal, (re-set it to lose 4 more to make up for TOM gains), but anyway, I did lose the last ten, but did what you are doing, I increased my exercise and ate VERY clean and I watched my sodium and made sure I was under on that everyday. I did not try this, but a lot of people here seem to have sucess with calorie cycling, I ould google it and do a bit of reading and see if it is for you.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I'm sorry I don't have any advice. I'm stuck with 5 lbs left to go and it won't budge.

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone!
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    I would say the opposite. Based on your photo, you are already very lean. For that reason, you are likely burning WAY more at rest than MFP calculates. I would suggest increasing calories to get your metabolism going again.

Check out my blog to see my experience with this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/deannarey13
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    what worked for me was working out very intense, cutting sugar to less than 30gr (which was made up mostly from milk), and eating at least 1600 calories not counting exercise stuff. the last 5 took like 2 months for me.
    good luck!
  • LuciaMarie
    LuciaMarie Posts: 1 Member
    Ok I know this isn't what you asked, but...If you have met your target weight (and from your picture you look very fit!) I think that worrying about '10 pounds' is besides the point. You should eat the same calories, maintain a regular exercise routine, and do extra toning in your problem areas. A little bit of fat in one place looks like a lot more as you lose it everywhere else-so try to keep perspective. It's hard for us a women not to compare ourselves to airbrushed or anorexic bodies we see EVERYWHERE, but try to resist and realize that we are all built differently (my skeleton will not allow my waist to get much smaller than it is!) Perhaps buying a personal training session will help you figure out how to tighten your tummy. Don't obsess over pounds-health is #1, feeling sexy is #2 (but it's all in the mind!) -and CONGRATS on *35 lbs!!*
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    bump
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    bump
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Running is not going to do it! I am also in my last 10 lbs and am trying to devote my to strength training and high intensity cardio and just upped my calories...I don't know if it will work but I DO believe that running isn't the answer to getting ride of your belly fat!

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I am going to go against everyone here and ask you to check out the link in my signature. My original weight loss was those last 10lbs. It took me 6 months to lose them. About a month ago I came across Mark's Daily Apple. I decided to try it - In 3 weeks I dropped 4.6 lbs of pure body fat (Almost 15lbs total). This body fat has come off the areas where it is stored genetically (belly, butt and thighs).

It isn't just high carbs - it's all carbs - all carbs cause a spike in blood sugar which makes our body secrete insulin - which promotes fat storage. Read through the articles (check out Primal Blueprint 101). Read about "Chronic Cardio" (more exercise will not make you lose more weight - it can in fact has the opposite effect) and grains and sugars. Read the success stories. Register at the site and receive the free ebook on Primal Blueprint Fitness (you don't need a lot of exercise to stay fit).

Try the 30 day challenge. That's what I did and I now know I will never go back to listening to Conventional Wisdom. (my ratios? 15% carb/25% pro/60% fat.)

And one other thing: Buy a book called "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About it" by Gary Taubes. If I was religious I would say that I have been saved from 'Conventional Wisdom'.

I have to agree with this post... I read the book by Gary Taubes and this is where I'm going with my nutrition next...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I did the Paleo challenge for 6 weeks back in November and it has a great effect but is hard to stick to religiously. Now I don't eat as many grains as I used to but I still eat dairy. I'm having no issues staying lean though. I don't think carbs are necessarily the devil, but processed ones aren't great. Eat more fruits and veggies and less processed breads...and if you do eat grains eat whole grains like sweet potatoes, quinoa and oatmeal and things like that. It may boost you right off that plauteau and get your metabolism going again. If you're working out a ton, don't drop to 1200 calories...it doesn't work.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I would drop your carbs to between 50-100 grams a day and see what happens. It's been a life saver for me.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    BIZZUMMP!
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    dealing with the same thing here, so I'm interested in what everyone has to say. I'm going to try the calorie zigzagging for the next couple of weeks to see if that helps. Also, going to be more committed to my exercise as that has slacked off for the last couple of weeks.

Good Luck!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Please join us at
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245433-last-10-pounds-club?page=1#posts-3277644

It's so helpful to hear about everyone's experiences!

:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.