"Miracle" Noodles????

Options
So I keep hearing/seeing information about so-called "Miracle" noodles...does anyone know about them and/or tried them or a similar brand? I'm curious about them but having a hard time finding them in my podunk town...and to order online is a bit spendy, so I'd rather get some reviews from people I trust before I make the commitment. Anyone???

Replies

• granneybec
    granneybec Posts: 10
    Options
    I bought them, tried them, and gave them away. I have a issue with texture and they felt like a worm that had layed out in the sun too long. A lot of work for no flavor.
  • BeautifulTestimony
    Options
    What's the miracle... Is it suppose to help you loose weight?
  • kaw811
    kaw811 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They are shirataki noodles found in some grocery stores and most health food stores. Our Sprouts and Wildflower Markets have them but also Whole Foods and Central Market. I like them from time to time. Don't overcook like I did today... Then they are awful. They are not tasty alone but take on the flavor of what you add to them. Worth giving a try!

Refrigerated section... Comes in a plastic-type bag.
  • imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat them and I like them! You can get them in Ottawa at T&T or you can order them online which I ended up doing and got the rice, fetachini and angel hair. I use them instead of normal pasta or rice, they are filling and take on the taste of whatever you make it with.
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I actually just ate some for lunch. :) Yes, they are a little weird... but something you can get use to for sure!

I actually found mine at an Asian market and they were only 1.20 each. -- and whole bag is only 40 calories!

They do have a weird fishy smell as well as a kinda slimy texture- to fix that....

Today I strained them and ran cold water over them for about 5-7 minutes.
    Then I added them to a tomato paste mixture (tomato sauce for HCG) and kinda fried them up for a few minutes.
    You can also boil them for 2-3 minutes.
    Adding the tomato paste thickened the noodles up and I didn't notice the texture as much.
    I also added ground buffalo which also thickened it and gave it a great flavor.

They have no taste what-so-ever so you can also use them in things like stir-fry.
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    O yeah, make sure when you buy these you buy the Yam Noodle kind. it's the most like regular noodles...
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have tried them and liked them...they are a little different texture but not bad tasting. Actually they don't have much taste at all if you ask me just be sure to rinse them well. I use the angel hair noodles in my stirfry...they are practically no calories and no carbs so that's a plus in my book. Oh I get them in the health food store in the refridgerated section next to the tofu.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had the tofu variety. I buy them whenever I see them for sale. They make a quite nice addition to stir-fries.

My advice:

Don't expect it to taste like spaghetti. You'll be disappointed.
    Rinse it well, as mentioned above.
    Dry-fry it in a pan for a bit before adding it to your dish.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    rubbery, fishy smell, yucky all around. IMHO, don't waste your time. Roast up some good old spaghetti squash and enjoy that instead.
  • fortworthbret
    Options
    I tried them.

I'll stick to spaghetti squash, or actual pasta in moderation.
  • jennynmorris
    jennynmorris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have heard about them, have not tried them yet, but I did order the ingredients to make them myself (only 2 ingredients) glucomannan and pickling lime both of which I had to buy online.

You can purchase pickling lime and glucomannan from:
    Mrs Wages brand Pickling lime
    Konjac glucomannan powder

Things You'll Need
    1/8 tsp pickling lime
    2 cups cold water
    Saucepan with lid (1-1/2 quart or larger)
    Silicone spoon
    2 tsp konjac glucomannan powder
    Cooking oil spray
    Loaf pan
    Cutting board
    Knife
    Steamer basket or insert

Add the pickling lime and cold water to a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir to combine the ingredients. Cover for one minute.

Sprinkle the konjac glucomannan powder in slowly as you stir the alkaline solution. Continue stirring slowly until the water reaches a medium boil and sustains that boil for three minutes.

Remove the saucepan from the heat. Apply a thin coat of cooking oil spray to the interior of a metal or glass loaf pan. Pour the contents of the saucepan into the greased loaf pan.

Refrigerate the loaf pan. Allow the mixture to cool for an hour or until it feels solid to the touch.

Invert the loaf pan over a cutting board to release the block of konjac gel. Slice the hardened gel into thin strips or any noodle shape you desire. Dip the blade of the knife in water occasionally to keep it sliding through the gel smoothly.

Place the sliced glucomannan noodles in a steamer basket or steam insert in a single layer with at least a 1/4 inch of space between each piece. Steam the noodles for three to five minutes before eating them or adding them as an ingredient in a cooked or raw dish.

Hope this helps :)
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    Wow...lots of different opinions, I think I'll give them a try! I did remember that we have a health food store in town called Goosberries, I'll check there in the tofu section. Thanks everyone for your guidance, I'll let you know how/if I like them!
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    They're no calorie/carbs/fat/gluten free...yada yada yada...Supposedly you use them in lieu of regular pasta or stir fry noodles?
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Supposedly you use them in lieu of regular pasta or stir fry noodles?

Yep.
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    rubbery, fishy smell, yucky all around. IMHO, don't waste your time. Roast up some good old spaghetti squash and enjoy that instead.

i agree. i couldnt get over the smell and had to throw them away...after id already tried washing them off for like 10minutes...disgusting.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love shirataki noodles!  Im actually having them in a sesame stirfry for dinner tonight.  As a previous poster wrote, dont expect them to taste like spaghetti & you will enjoy them more.  

Dont let the liquid they come in deter you.  I rinse mine for a minute or so and they are fine.  Make sure to follow the prep directions for whatever brand you end up buying.  Miracle noodles brand are zero calories & zero fiber.  I bought some of these noodles from the asian supermarket and these ranged in calorie count from 40 - 100 calories per package and 3 - 6 grams of fiber.  The ones i bought from the market had a much better texture & absorbed flavor better than the miracle noodles and were only $1.99 each.  I  still trying different brands so i can find a favorite.  

One thing that is reccommended is that you start with an angel hair style noodle versus a fettucine.  The texture is less noticable in the smaller noodles.

Last but not least, everyone is different, so if you try them & hate them at least youll know.  But if you try them and love them they can be a great way to cut calories on some of your favorite dishes.  Good luck!