Weight training question

Options
Hey all! I recently wanted to get back to my weight loss journey, felt like I gained weight during school since I stopped working out and all nighters :( but no worries. Plan to lose weight further than what I got to before.

I have a question about weight training. Skip to the TL;DR for the actual questions but I feel it's important to provide more information about current stats to better assist

I am 5'8 and around 193 194lbs. Male. It's been hard to keep a consistent workout schedule due to prior commitments but now I am back at day 0 and can commit longer.

I bike most days and started BJJ again at my local gym. I plan (will) to optimize this M - F a BJJ workout hour long as that definitely burns a lot and works out whole body. I do want to incorporate weight training in (leg day, arm day, etc.) as well as probably a cardio day

My diet I say is moderate. I don't pigout or eat late at night and I cut off soda / alcohol. It definitely can be improved I am eating atlesst 1500 calories, maybe even more to compensate for heavy workout days (usually Wednesday).

TL;DR

For weight training I do not know too much. Was wondering if y'all can share some of the exercises you do using weight and for what target areas they do. If you can link me to bs guide of some sort of videos that's more than welcome to. I'd definitely research form and proper to get the most out of it. Thanks

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Try out any beginner program, such as Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules Of Lifting For Women, Strong Curves.
    Most have videos to accompany the lifts.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Definitely pick a preplanned progressive program, don't build your own. In addition to the ones mentioned above, take a look at AllPro Beginners Routine at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761
  • samrichiebuster
    samrichiebuster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can checkout bodybuilding.com, keep this in mind just like there's no magic pill there's no magic workout. I have looked at and tried many. The main thing is to stick with it and put the work in, but also I would suggest changing your work out every 6 to 8 weeks to keep your body guessing.
    201306332 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was the same way a year ago and I just started watching YouTube videos on different lifts. I separate my lifts into 3 days, chest and back, biceps triceps, legs and shoulders. The 4th day is a rest day. I've done this for a year and have seen amazing progress. So I recommend going on YouTube and typing in "great arm day workouts" or "great leg day exercises" and just incorporate those into your workout
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can checkout bodybuilding.com, keep this in mind just like there's no magic pill there's no magic workout. I have looked at and tried many. The main thing is to stick with it and put the work in, but also I would suggest changing your work out every 6 to 8 weeks to keep your body guessing.

Came here to say this. Lots of great information and videos to get you comfortable with each lift.
  • Bayani1091
    Bayani1091 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Will do, thank you!
  • jossgirl2014
    jossgirl2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pumpup is a great app you can use to get ideas for lifting and hiit.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options