Question about Turkey Bacon

Options
Hello all,

I bought a package of turkey bacon yesterday. The problem is every time I need to use it in a recipe, it is frozen and all stuck together and hard to just prepare 2 or 3 slices. I have tried breaking down the package and freezing smaller sections at a time, but still the same problem. Also, when frying it (with only Pam spray), it never stays together, and usually burns on my pan.

My question is- Have any of you tried baking it? I am thinking of lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper and baking it, then freezing that into 2 or 3 slice packages. That way it is ready for a recipe when needed-cooked and everything. Would just need to be re-heated. I am just trying to make healthy eating a bit easier.

Let me know what you think, and if you think it would work. Thanks!!!

Replies

• kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I say try it, it can't hurt
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I only bake it, it is so easy! I line my cookie sheet with non stick foil, I am sure parchment will get the job done too!
  • heididormanen
    Options
    we always bake our bacon. We use a cookie drying rack on top of a baking sheet.. bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.. all the fat lands in the cooke sheet.. way better than frying.

We keep ours frozen until just before we cooke it and drop it in water for about 30 miunutes while it is still in the package or bag and leave it about 30 minutes or so.. that is usually enough to get it to sperate. We use a whole package but we have bacon from the farm in sealed packages.. so if I were you.. I would split it up into the right size bags for you and freeze.. then soak in the bag to defrost it quick.

Hope that made sense..
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Are you buying it frozen? If not, seperate it before you freeze it. I usually just buy the "fully cooked" stuff. It's just a matter of heating/crisping it up in the pan.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i think you should switch brands of turkey bacon. i use a brand from aldi's (fit and active brand) and i have used the same stuff for 2 yrs.
    i keep it in my fridge so mine dosnt stick together. if i had to go through that much trouble id try switching brands lol
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bake it or put it on the George Foreman.
  • babygreen11
    babygreen11 Posts: 73
    Options
    I always bake my turkey bacon. I also keep it in the fridge verses the freezer.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    why are you putting it in the freezer? We keep our bacon in the fridge. When we only have a couple slices from the package, we put the package in a ziploc.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am lazy. I buy the pre-cooked kind that you just microwave for 30 seconds.
  • katihamlin
    katihamlin Posts: 41
    Options
    I am unsure how you feel about microwaves, but we always just put a layer of paper towel on a plate, add bacon, more paper towel (layering to however much you need) and just zap it for a few minutes until it's the texture you like. It's super easy and most of the drippings are contained in the paper towel. No mess and slick too! Just an option.
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I make mine on a George Foreman grill, super fast and easy. I also keep it in the fridge instead of the freezer.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Buy it fresh and don't freeze it. It's one of those food products that is found easily in every store, so there's no need to freeze it. If you don't want to use the whole package during a week split the package with a friend when you buy it.
  • bethabeeg
    bethabeeg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't ever freeze my turkey bacon. Invest in a bacon pan for the microwave it seems to work the best for me. I use paper towel and place the bacon on top and then microwave it as said on the packaging.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Line them out individually on a cookie sheet (lined with waxed paper) and place in the freezer, once they are frozen, chuck them into a ziploc. I do this with fish/ strawberries, etc. When they are frozen they way, they usually don't stick together when placed in the same bag after they are frozen. Just a thought :) good luck!
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We use a lot of this stuff and find that baking on our broiler pan works great. You can cook a few pieces or an entire container at once. I spray it with non-stick spray and the pan catches the fat.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I put mine on a cookie sheet then on baking sheet to catch drippings (which I throw out, I don't use them) then bake. It works wonderfully and is crispy!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    after comparing the calories, fat, etc I decided if I'm going to have bacon with something it's going to be the real thing. I'd rather one slice of real bacon than the turkey stuff. I tried a ton of different brands and they were all horrible. If I'm looking just for bacon bits for a recipe I use Tastefully Simple Bacon Bits (which are actually soy).
  • mommyofatoz
    mommyofatoz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OMG! I love the Oscar Myer Reduced sodium turkey bacon! It is like a snack to me! My husband makes fun of me. He just bought a bunch of the stuff on sale and we have frozen it, then just keep one in the refrigerator thawing, so we always have a package. Wouldn't be a probably at all to just cook up a few pieces from the package. I have never thought of baking it or microwaving it, however, and now will have to try!
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks for youe suggestions! I ended up baking it on parchment and it worked out awesome! I towelled off the fat and froze it on a single layer on a cookie sheet. I will throw them in a ziploc bag soon. Thanks again! =)