HRM issues

Options
Right ok, so today i brought a HRM, now i didn't go for a hugely named one or expensive - i cant afford them just yet. I wanted something simple that gave me a better idea about calories burnt.

Heres my problem - i have it on now - watching my BPM....one minute its 45....the next is 213 (as it is now) and then it just disappears...

I wasnt expecting it to be amazing....but I do expect to count calories which it cant do without my BPM....it came with a chest strap and it doesnt seem to make any difference?

Please help - im getting worried that its techo telling me im dead at the moment....I want to work out but need this to work before i can!

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the chest strap or use a connectivity gel? Sometimes that works for better connectivity. Also they don't work well when you are sitting down because they can't really connect very well. I have found that with the one I have at least. Hope this is somewhat helpful.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My Polar one would do something similar when I had a poor connection on the HR reading on the chest strap.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Did you get one with a chest strap. If you didn't it isn't going to be nearly as accurate. I initially got one that was just a watch, with no chest strap and it was horribly inaccurate. It was a Mio. What kind did you get? I have a Polar FT4 and it was under $70 off of Amazon. I even use it in the pool.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Ye, i did wet it - I am now constantly reading at 160 - 175 - surely that isnt right for sitting down? I didnt think this would be this stressful :( and the instructions make no sense what so ever *sigh*
  • Hype
    Options
    Did you get one with a chest strap. If you didn't it isn't going to be nearly as accurate. I initially got one that was just a watch, with no chest strap and it was horribly inaccurate. It was a Mio. What kind did you get? I have a Polar FT4 and it was under $70 off of Amazon. I even use it in the pool.

Yes it does have a chest strap - its a target fitness thing, not a well known brand but i cant afford an expensive one
  • Hype
    Options
    I stand up and loose the reading.....
  • Hype
    Options
    bump - anyone else got suggestions please?
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe something as simple as replacing the battery?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    if it seemed to lose connection when you stood up, then it's probably not tight enough.

HRM has to be wet, and has to be tight to keep constant connection and get a good reading.

165-175, your not sure if that's right.
    Yes that is quite high for someone sitting down - Double check it.

Take your own pulse for 10 secs and multiply that number * 6 = bpm.
    or
    take it for 6 secs and multiply that number * 10 = bpm.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also, you may not have the strap in the right position. It has to be right under your boobs -- UNDER your bra... with the transmitting sensor sitting on your sternum.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Also, you may not have the strap in the right position. It has to be right under your boobs -- UNDER your bra... with the transmitting sensor sitting on your sternum.

I would wet mine if it's connectivity.
    And yes it needs to be snug, and under your bra like a super under-wire I guess so it's "almost" giving you some "lift" as a underwire would.... well by that I just mean snug. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: