Quick Question...Advice needed

Options
Hello,

I am 5'4.5, f, 196 I need to lose 80 pounds.

My question...for that much weight loss is it ok to shoot for 2 pound loss a week? Or should I stick to 1 pound loss? Think I have read the closer I get to the goal weight go down to 1 pound or 1/2?

Any advice would be great!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to lose 80 lbs? Healthy weight for 5'4" women is anywhere from 115-150, depending on your frame.

I'd try 2 lbs with your stats. Some will disagree. I started 5'4" and 163, with two lbs per week for a little while and was happy with the results
  • Chakhmah
    Chakhmah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice! Sorry need is the wrong word. Would like too :)
    I was always thin all my life ( I was a dancer and very active) but the last 10 years I have not taken care of myself. I guess just wishing I could get back to the shape I was.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Okay, well yes. The closer you get to goal, the slower you will lose or should lose. Your TDEE is smaller when you weigh less so it can be unhealthy to create such a large deficit as many people will have to drop below 1200 calories to continue losing at that rate, and will miss out on nutrients provided with such a little amount of food. Not to mention hanger.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ur body has changed so much bearing a child that u may not even want to be that size again. Sometimes mini goals r good. I would start with 1 lb per week to get u trained on eating at a lower deficient. I started at 192 (1lb a wk) n my mini goal is to get into the 170's (I'm so close). Then I'll create another goal. Baby steps then before u know it ur there! Good luck
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off faster at the very beginning. I plugged in 2lbs/week at first, and adjusting to the significant calorie restriction made me give up several times. I changed it to 1.5 and found it much easier to both see weight loss, but also be able to stick to the plan and stay motivated..which I think will translate to keeping with it and actually reaching my goals.
  • Chakhmah
    Chakhmah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you. After having two kids I use to weight 260 but know that I am under the 200 Mark I find it very hard. I will stick to the 1 pound a week. I am not in a hurry. It's taken 2 years for the other 60 pounds.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Chakhmah wrote: »
    Thank you. After having two kids I use to weight 260 but know that I am under the 200 Mark I find it very hard. I will stick to the 1 pound a week. I am not in a hurry. It's taken 2 years for the other 60 pounds.

Remember it's a marathon not a sprint ! :smile:
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I started out with the same stats. I'm 5'4 and was 196lbs. I'm now at 166lbs. I've lost 30lbs in exactly 15 weeks. Last couple of weeks I've been losing at just under 2lbs per week, as expected as I get closer to my healthy weight.