Baked beans: good or bad?

Options
Are baked beans (Heinz) good or bad when trying to maintain a diet designed for fat loss?

Replies

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As long as you can fit them into your daily calories you'll be okay. There are no "good" or "bad" foods. Just food. Losing weight is about portion control and calories in/out. You can gain weight eating an excess of calories regardless of the source of calories. All in all you want to lose weight but also gain healthy habits like, mentioned before, portion control.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    As long as you can fit them into your daily calories you'll be okay. There are no "good" or "bad" foods. Just food. Losing weight is about portion control and calories in/out. You can gain weight eating an excess of calories regardless of the source of calories. All in all you want to lose weight but also gain healthy habits like, mentioned before, portion control.

^This.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    As long as they fit into your calorie goal, they're good. I eat them all the time when I'm short on fiber but out of regular beans (I prefer to rinse them after cooking, because the sauce is too sweet for my tastes).
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Well, the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel...so have them every meal! Seriously though, they have a lot of fiber and there are brands that are lower in sugar than others. But like the above posters said, it's more about fitting everything into your calorie allotment. There's really no need to restrict foods unless you have allergies to them.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    They are a good source of protein and fiber. A little high in carbs and sugar, but as long as it fits in your daily (or weekly) goals, go for it.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    They're not so great for anyone who's doing a low carb diet. If you're just counting calories, then yeah, what the pps said. If you're following Slimming World you'll likely be losing weight while eating copious amounts of them several times a week. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    They're fine for weight loss, just as all foods are. If you share a bed with someone, though, that's another story.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    From a counting calories point of view then what they already said, but foods do differ from a nutritional perspective. So what the people said in terms of fiber and protein they are pretty GOOD. If you like them then eat them. Heiz probably do a low sugar version, not sure it would be a deal breaker and cant remember how they taste.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You're gonna need to get over the "good food" -vs- "bad food" thing, right?

Too many calories is bad.

That's all you need to focus on right now.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »

^This.
    Open can, pour beans into pan, bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbling. Enjoy! ;)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love baked beans, and the heinz ones are pretty low in calories too if I remember correctly!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Mmmm baked beans on a jacket spud then sprinkled with cheese!!!!
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Really want some baked beans now. Looks like I'm hitting the grocery store tonight!
  • sarahjaneohare
    sarahjaneohare Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone x
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My moms baked beans are amazing: homemade sauce, onions, boppers, hamburger meat, topped with a "crust" of brown sugar and bacon.

Things like that are why I'm on MFP. Haha.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Are baked beans (Heinz) good or bad when trying to maintain a diet designed for fat loss?

They're pretty yummy, but don't fit my macros super well, so I rarely have them. For you, it will depend on the specifics of what you're doing, and your context.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    My moms baked beans are amazing: homemade sauce, onions, boppers, hamburger meat, topped with a "crust" of brown sugar and bacon.

Things like that are why I'm on MFP. Haha.

What is a bopper?
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Well, the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel...so have them every meal! Seriously though, they have a lot of fiber and there are brands that are lower in sugar than others. But like the above posters said, it's more about fitting everything into your calorie allotment. There's really no need to restrict foods unless you have allergies to them.

Ha you beat me to it...

Baked beans good for your heart
    Baked beans make you fart
    The more you fart the better you feel
    So eat baked beans for every meal!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any food, in moderation, is good for you. But I wouldn't normally think of baked beans as a diet food, just something that it wouldn't hurt to have in your diet once in a while.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Mmmm baked beans on a jacket spud then sprinkled with cheese!!!!

Cheese under the beans! Haha.... I had this for dinner nearly every night when I was younger. I refused to eat my mums cooking and it was about all I could manage myself (as an 9/10 year old)