Diabetic needing to lose weight

Options
tlharsin
tlharsin Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi my name is Tracy and I am new to this app. I am a type 2 diabetic needing to lose weight. Any support would be great.

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Add me if you plan on logging regularly and want mutual support.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I thought I'd add this just in case it's something you want to look into. My father in law completely reversed his diabetes in less than three months by eating a 100% plant based diet (vegan). He didn't attempt to make any other lifestyle changes and didn't attempt to 'diet' though it's likely he will have naturally eaten fewer calories as he cut out the animal fats from meat and dairy. He had been on diabetes medication for 10 years and was gradually needing to take more and more. Since coming off his meds his blood glucose levels have remained stable for over 6 months. He's 53, lost over 30 lbs and it's like he's had a personality change! Also he has just finished Insanity, which is amazing considering how out of shape he was before! If this is something you'd be interested in finding out about then let me know and I can pass on some info about books and documentaries on the subject.
  • NeeceeA
    NeeceeA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just been diagnosed with diabetes too. Please add me.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Low carb or keto, definitely the way to go.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Been type 2 since 2001. Despite the claims, there is no cure or "reversing" diabetes. I've lost over 100 pounds the last 4 years, and no longer have to take insulin 4x a day. There is no one formula that works for all diabetics. We're all different. You need to find out what works for you by rigorous testing with your blood glucose meter. Start by logging honestly what you eat, testing before you eat, and again 1 and or 2 hours post. Figure out what foods (in what quantities) cause your blood sugar to spike, and make appropriate changes. Yes, a reduced carb diet will help. But you need to keep your fiber intake up, so make your carb choices work for you by choosing whole grains, legumes, and fresh fruits and veggies. But again, use your meter to see how you react to them! If you want to know more about what worked for me, send me a friend request, and I'd be glad to answer any questions. Control is the goal...