To people who have lost 50 + lbs

Options
I have lost 20 lbs so far and Inotice the loose skin. Does this shrink on it's own or is there something I need to do

Replies

• misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Strength training/toning.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age, It is hereditary, and if you have stretch marks, they tend to hinder the skins flexiblity. I dropped 80 after having my son 7 years ago, I was 24 at the time and it all went back but not like it was before children. i am not complaining though.
  • Smilbuta
    Smilbuta Posts: 10
    Options
    IT will go away but,
    You need to go to the gym and do some weight as well to build muscle mass under the loose skin.

Most folks who lose a large amount of weight don't do that and end up with the excessive amounts of loose skin. Building mass under the skin replaces some of the fat lost during weight loss. keeping your body "in shape".

In time your skin will to a point shrink back, If you weight loss was Extreme(eg 500lbs down to 180lbs), you may need a surgical option to remove the last remnants of loose skin.
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I have lost over 50lbs and my skin is very loose and there is nothing I can do about it. I have been lifting weights, running, ab work outs and all but my skin is still really loose. Doctor said I do not have good elasticity and there is not much you can do to change that. the weights help and the water helps and the cream helps now i have very healthy loose skin LOL :tongue:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    not got much lose skin other than my lower abdomen, but then I had three large babies close together, but even then it;s not bad at all. My only other issue is my 'bingo wings' they need to be toned up. rest of me is fine, which I am surprised about.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I am 26 and I know a few people that are 15-20 years older than me that has lost drastic amounts of weight and also have loose skin all over. Some people are also more prone to stretch marks ans others can bounce back quickly after giving birth..... regardless the skin has stretched and grown with the body when the person was larger and sometimes there is not to much way around that besides surgical intervention. The best thing you can do is to try and tone by lifting weights.