attn all ex and current smokers

Options
leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
we are trying the e-cigarettes, and as much as i hear it is better, and a quitting aid, im not sure im ready to give up the real thing, but i really have no choice..i want to know if anyone was trying to quit DURING weight loss, and how did it effect it..im scared to GAIN back during the quitting process, and i was wanting some tips or tricks to avoid the potential gain..thanks all...:drinker:

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Wow, double whammy, but good for you! I quit years ago but I think the biggest pit fall is trading smokes for food. As long as you are keeping your hands busy and have a buddy you can call on to talk you out of straying from your goals, you shouldn't have TOO much trouble. GOOD LUCK!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Could you chew nicotine gum? It really helped me to quit. I don't know if e-cigs have nicotine. It's addictive, and a stimulant but it's not that harmful. It also satisfies your craving for cigarette so you don't eat a box of twinkies instead.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I had an ecigarette. Mine was a CHEAP one from a flea market. When it worked, it was great but it quit working after a few weeks. I ordered a better one last night. I want to quit, but I have the same fears you have. I do NOT want to gain the little bit I've lost back. Which ecig are you looking into?
  • leshagen
    leshagen Posts: 36
    Options
    A friend of mine tried the e-cigarettes and really liked them, but eventually they gave him a persistant cough so he stopped. Fortunately he did not go back to smoking and is now smoke free, but he did gain weight. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I quit smoking 10 years ago, and never looked back, but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I quit cold-turkey. I cried, I craved and I substituted food and gained weight. But eventually it all evens out and I did lose the few pounds I gained. I know you don't want to sabatoge your diet, but being smoke free is always a good thing I think. Good luck and think skinny thoughts :D
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I quit while going through this process, then went back to smoking, then quit again. LOL!!!!! There is no better time than now to quit. If your metabolism slows down, you can work on that. If you quit smoking, you can work out more, have more energy and your taste buds will be better so healthier food will taste better and you wont need so much salt and stuff on your food. I use the patch. The e-cigarettes are stupid and people who use them look stupid. (sorry, im sure many very cool people use them but I just dont see the appeal)
    Whatever you choose to help you quit and works for you is fine. ANYTHING is better than cigarettes!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i'm quitting right now, it's my first day lol. i'm trying my best! my appetite has not increased at all though, and i haven't been eating all day. sipping water through a straw all day is seeming to help me.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I quit October 1st. I was just so OVER IT in my head that it wasn't that hard. (Before you write me off, I smoked over a pack a day for 15+ years) I gained about 5 pounds but it's hard to say if it was from quitting or the "happy fat" I put on when I moved in with my fiance :wink:

I did try the e-cig before I quit and thought they were pretty amazing... but just too expensive. And I just wanted to be done with the filthy habit - I was sick of the habit having control over me and the e-cig wouldn't have done anything to get past that.

Good luck! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I didn't try to lose while trying to quit, but I did quit. I can't say that any of my weight gain was due to quitting. I used straws as my hand to mouth replacement - I even inhaled! LOL

That worked for me - Along with taking lots of vitamin B during the day to perk me up and a calcium supplement at night to bring me down - since nicotine is the only drug that is both and upper and a downer.

Good luck to you. It really is one of the best things I ever did for myself.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Could you chew nicotine gum? It really helped me to quit. I don't know if e-cigs have nicotine. It's addictive, and a stimulant but it's not that harmful. It also satisfies your craving for cigarette so you don't eat a box of twinkies instead.

Some e-cigs don't have nicotine. Most places give you the choice of amounts of nicotine. I have seen from 0mg (just vapor) all the way up to 24mg.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting 'till I want to quit bad enough to actually make it stick. So far I just love smoking too much. Even though I'm constantly telling myself I should just make this one my last one. I'm curious about those e-cigarettes.

I just started C25k yesterday. Only done the one day so far and when I got home and sat down I was coughing like mad for a good 20 minutes. Most unpleasant. I'm suspecting the 2 are mutually exclusive.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I quit 16 months ago. Food is a definate issue. Chew sugar-free gum, baby carrots etc. However, your metabolism also slows when cigarettes/nicotine is taken away. Focus on keeping moving. I put my attention toward logging all food and all excercise. When I felt the urge to smoke I would go for a walk or put on a workout dvd. It REALLY helped. Smoking definately causes your body more harm than a few extra pounds. You can do it!
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    I took Champix 2.5 years ago to quit, lost the urge after a few days and didn't binge on food because I wasn't missing the smokes =).

After 6 weeks on that I stopped and was fine because the first 3 weeks were always the worst for me!
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i quit january 2009 using Chantix. i did gain 20 pounds but that was also attributed to going out to eat alot and not exercising. the whole eating thing when you quit is usually needing something to do with your hands and mouth. i think if i was following a diet plan like i am doing now and exercising i wouldn't have gained anything. i wish you good luck, it was THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!!!!
  • scaatynj
    scaatynj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had may starts and stops with quitting smoking and the biggest problem was the weight gain. Then I used the small cocktail straws to chew on and I was able to quit and not gain weight at the same time! It also helps to have a goal as to what you'll spend your cigarette money on. I was a heavy smoker and at the time (2 -3 packs per day at $6 per pack at the time). I calculated that one year smoke free would earn me a cruise. So every time I wanted a smoke I chewed on a cocktail straw and kept reminding myself that I would take a cruise in a year and it worked!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I agree, I chewed Cinnamon Nicorette gum. I quit while doing MFP, the biggest thing was keeping my hands busy. As with my eating, if I got bored, I'd eat. After I'd eat, I'd smoke. Viscous cycle. The gum really helped me and it probably increases your metabolism.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    I am currently quitting (down to about 1 cigarette a day, and a few days here and there with no cigarettes at all) and so far haven't seen any weight gains. But I must say, it sucks!!! I'm cranky and miserable and irritable and just plain b*tchy. I was thinking about using the e-cigs to try to keep from using food as a substitute, but so far that hasn't really been a problem. I usually just do a few jumping jacks or situps when I really want to smoke instead of eating something. Good luck with it!!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You really have to look at it as part of your overall health goal. Are you trying to get healthy and fit or are you trying to just lose weight? They are not the same thing.

Quitting smoking is probably the single most beneficial thing you can do for your health. And that's even if you gain a few pounds in the process, it is STILL the most beneficial thing you can do for yourself. The cigarettes are killing your lungs, heart, arteries, etc.

It will be a challenge to quit smoking and continue losing weight at the same time, but really it's all about your mindset and your goals. If you focus your efforts and make it your goal to improve your health and fitness level, you can certainly do it. Smoking and eating unhealthy foods in excess will not fit into those goals...

So, all in all, JUST QUIT. Your body will thank you!!!

-Mike

P.S. I quit smoking 5+ years ago after smoking for nearly 20 years. I felt noticeably better after a week, and SIGNIFICANTLY better after just a few weeks. You will not regret it!!!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix.
    Side effects that I had:
    Hard time sleeping
    When I could - Vivid dreams (not bad dreams - just very realistic)

I had my doc also perscribe me some sleeping pills. I normally wouldn't take a perscription to combat another perscription, but it was worth it to me to quit.

I did not gain weight - I focused on being healthy instead of eating.
    Don't get me wrong - there were days that I was in tears because I missed my friend - smoking - but I am so glad that I quit.
    It was the best thing that I have done in my life.

It did take me two goes at it. But stick with it!!!!
    YOU CAN DO IT!
    And if you gain a few pounds - big deal - you're improving your health by quitting smoking!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I quit 5/22/09 4:45pm .. cold turkey. Here is my advice:

* Have your mind set that you will quit. I started a month before with a date in mind .. and stuck to it.

* Enter your foods in your log in the AM (even the night before) and STICK TO IT .. DO NOT DEVIATE!! You can set your daily calories and have your meals planned .. and if you don't stray from that ...... you will stay with in your calorie goal and not gain weight.

It takes about 72 hours for the chemical addiction of smoking to leave your body .. after that you are just battling the mental / physical addiction.

Good Luck!
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 8 or 9 years ago. It was easy because I had a clogged salivary gland and started having dreams that it was throat cancer and I was going to be the only 30 y/o with a hole in her throat. I quit cold turkey and never looked back. I gained weight, but mainly because I had alot of new energy and used it as an excuse to eat things I normally wouldn't allow myself. So, I'd exercise and tell myself I earned that twinkie, etc. I think if you eat right and exercise you should be just fine.