Exercise questions

Options
Hey there...ok, so I am "newer" to this exercising thing. I am a mother of two daughters and have had a lot of physical issues...with that being said , I have commited to taking care of me for once. I have been doing great with the cardio and even weight machines with some, but not major soreness. Yesterday, I had a trainer from the YMCA show me some things and today the front of my thighs feel sooo sore. I figured some soreness, but I have a hard time walking my house stairs today!

First, any suggestions...secondly, what would be my best bet for tomorrow's workout? I don't want to over do it as I have had a major hip injury in the last 9 months and have come a long way...I don't want to go backwards...

Any suggestions?!

Jen

Replies

• Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    drink more water
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Being SORE is awesome. It means you had a great workout. You continue to work through sore.

PAIN is another issue. If you go beyond soreness and into actual pain, that's when you stop and heal or dial it down a notch.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hehe, you just described every first day of a new routine for me. Which is basically how it should be.

The next day after, yes make sure you drink your water, but generally, don't do any intense exercise that targets those sore muscles. I.E. if your biceps are sore, don't do curls. Generally the best thing you can do is do light to moderate cardio to get the blood flowing and increase nutrient delivery to those sore muscles, do some stretching, and maybe take a long hot bath (or a sauna would work also), other than that, just rest.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Check out Callan Pinckney's Callanetics, it's old but it's great for people with physical issues it will work very deeply and stabilize your core and she only uses 1/2 inch movements so it's not too intense on your body. Google her website and you'll get all the info you need. If you like it I recommend the original exercise video it's slightly outdated but the best.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That is a GREAT feeling. If I am feeling particularly sore one day, I do cardio the next. This can be anything from walking to running. The other thing I will do if I am sore is to stretch.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Your body needs time to recover from the stress of muscle soreness so it can be stronger for the next session. Chances are, the trainer had you working the muscles in ways you hadn't pushed yourself to up to this point.

That's not a bad thing. Take a day off from doing any strength training and give your muscles a chance to recover.

As well, go a bit lighter on your cardio tomorrow as your primary goal is simply to get your circulation up to flush your muscles. IF you go too hard, you'll be demanding more of an already stressed physique.

Remember, you get stronger when your Resting Between workouts....not During the exercise sessions.
  • smile72101
    smile72101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...I have been drinking a TON of water...more than my normal 64 oz....he had me doing a lot of core strengthing because of the hip issues.....I did take today off (well as off as a mom can be) and will do cardio and upper body tomorrow because I feel like I have rubber bands for legs. I know it is good, but MAN....the crazy thing is we didn't use hardly any machines. It was with the steps, ball on wall squats etc. I will continue to do this bc my muscles obviously need some attention there!!!

Any of you guys have suggestions to loosen it up? Stretching them but doesn't seem to be loosening much more...

Thanks again!