NO Help at Home

Options
Hi everyone!

I joined the site because it was easier to log everything on my phone than carrying around a note book! However, I hope to meet new friends who support everyone, as there is not a lot of support at home, since DH can lose weight just by thinking he should!
Changing the eating habits at home will take some work since the family does not really want to join me and cooking seperate meals everyday gets to be a bit much!

But here I am, ready to find the new, healthier me!

Replies

• booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    Welcome and feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    Welcome =)
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you here. I joined for the convienence of being able to log my meals on my phone as well.

Friend Request sent.
  • tiggerlilly1001
    Options
    Welcome, GOOD LUCK WITH YOU GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JLEinGCM
    JLEinGCM Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi - welcome -

I only joined a few weeks ago myself, so I'm new here also. I couldn't help smiling when I read the line about your DH. Mine is pretty much the same way - he'll drop lbs no problem.

Good luck! :)
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your dilemma. In my case, I ahd to start making separate meals for my family than what I eat. Initially it was a hassle, but I have a routine now and it's working for me. Hang in there!
  • weallhaveastory
    Options
    Add me dealing with the SAME thing BUT its getting better!
  • SamiePuente
    SamiePuente Posts: 19
    Options
    Welcome!
    I'm in the same boat... The family doesn't want to join in. It can get tough, but mfp really helps!

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Don't cook separate meals, just be more picky about what you choose to eat.

For example:
    You make a beef roast for dinner with carrots, potatoes, and celery.

This is what you do:
    Make an easy salad (lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, plus a fat-free dressing) to go with it. Take a decent helping of that (I used to eat those leftovers for lunch/snack the next day).
    Take a huge portion of the veggies and a small piece of meat.

In this way, you are eating what is more appropriate for YOUR body, yet you've only cooked 1 meal. I do this sort of thing all the time, eating mostly veggies with a tiny meat. This also shows my kids what's most important at the table.

Another little trick? Substitute light/fat-free for the full-fat choices. Like fat-free salad dressing, fat free cream cheese, light sour cream, fat free mayonaise, etc. You can save between 30-70 calories PER SERVING this way!

You can do it!!!!
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hooray for you! Nobody can take care of you like YOU can! Hopefully your family will see the positive change in you and they will change their ways! Feel free to add me!
  • jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    I'll send you a request.. My husband was against my choices at first, but he's easing into it slowly.. plus sometimes I just trick him lol..
  • hollywilli
    hollywilli Posts: 5
    Options
    I am with you! If I look at ice cream I gain weight, my DH can eat a half gallon and lose a pound. Making little turkey burgers for me while he still wants bacon cheeseburgers is getting frustrating! Feel free to add me as a friend, I just started on here and could use some support too! We can do it!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    From what I was reading on your page your girls are trying to get "healthy" as well! That is great! I have a 4 and 1 1/2 year old, so I just make it and if they don't eat it they will eventually eat when they are hungry, lol! My hubby told me last night that he could eat the brown rice I made with butter and salt. We usually do white, but knowing the brown is healthier I've switched! He is thin and always been thin so me doing this MFP and exercising my butt off is really "my thing"!!! You can do this!
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Ok, now for a different perspective! I have children with food allergies, many,many,many food allergies. This sometimes causes me to make 3 meals anyways, so, as long as I am the one planning and cooking meals then my family will eat what is given to them. If they don't like it they can cook. That said i try to fit in things that they will like (sloppy joes tonight) Everyone here has adjusted to it. There is no one that it is going to hurt to eat right, I promise:)

Welcome, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • rsmacfarlane
    rsmacfarlane Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My kids tell me they want to do healthier foods, and then fuss when it gets made. This week we are trying something new, and that is having meals plaaned for the whole week....no suprises no reason to fus! God save us from teenagers! LOL
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have THE fussiest child on earth. And he's a teenager. We have a deal that if I cook something he doesn't like or hasn't tried (and I don't cook that often because I hate cooking), he has to at least try it. If he tries it and doesn't like it, I'll help him find something else. If he won't even try it, he's on his own. He's eaten cereal for dinner a couple of times as a result, but that certainly won't kill him...but he's also tried a couple of new things as well, which DEFINITELY hasn't killed him! :)
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I joined the site because it was easier to log everything on my phone than carrying around a note book! However, I hope to meet new friends who support everyone, as there is not a lot of support at home, since DH can lose weight just by thinking he should!
    Changing the eating habits at home will take some work since the family does not really want to join me and cooking seperate meals everyday gets to be a bit much!

But here I am, ready to find the new, healthier me!

I hear ya on that one. My wife is really supportive, but she doesnt really like the idea of dieting along with me. Typically I've done most of the cooking.

Now that said, I'm not cooking two meals. If she wants to eat what I'm cooking she's more than welcome, if she doesnt...well, she knows where the kitchen is!

My daughter is another problem entirely. However, after 6 months of my dieting...she's learned the deal, too. If she wants what I'm cooking feel free, if she doesnt...she knows how to open a can of Cambell's soup and put it in the microwave (which means she's learning to eat what I cook....)
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    By the way, what does DH mean?

All I can think of is Designated Hitter. That doesnt make much sense...
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Dear Husband! also DD is dear daughter or DS for son.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Mine are 8, 6, and 3. I find it also helps to take them shopping. Once, I even gave them each a bag and let them put whatever produce they wanted in to it. Within 2 days, their bags were empty.

This also resulted in us trying plantains (twice), acorn squash (yum, even in a pumpkin bread recipe!), and eggplant.

Added bonus? Look up the nutritional information so they know exactly why the healthy stuff is healthy. For example, garlic and onions are good for your heart/blood, and papaya helps to lower stress so they can be happier.