6 months pregnant

Options
my ob is really concerned with my weight gain. Ive gained 17.5lbs so far. I am also very concerned , im scared to get to 300lbs . I am currently 276.5lbs. Ive been doing a lot of walking 3 times a week for 30 minutes but never changed my diet. And im still gaining weight so exercise alone isnt helping. MFP says i should be eating 2146 calories per day in order to lose a pound a week but 2146 seems like too much . Does anyone know if i will be okay consuming 2000 calories a day? Im not trying to lose weight but i think over 2000 calories is way too many. please help ill be talkin about this with my ob in two weeks. I talked to her today but all she said was eat more veggis and stay away from processed food, junk, etc. help !!

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your OB to see what she wants you to do, but I would think you definitely don't want to set your calories to lose 1 pound a week when you are pregnant. I know 2000 calories sounds like a lot, but I'm eating 2000 calories a day right now (breastfeeding a young baby full time) and I'm losing 2 pounds a week easily. Your body NEEDS those calories when you're supporting a baby! It feels weird to me sometimes to be able to eat so much and lose but your body does a lot when you're pregnant or breastfeeding.
  • ReadyForWeightLoss
    ReadyForWeightLoss Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying . I totally get what youre saying i will set MFP to maintain my weight and stay on it for two weeks till i see my ob . :)
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying . I totally get what youre saying i will set MFP to maintain my weight and stay on it for two weeks till i see my ob . :)

That's a very good plan. How often are you having ultrasounds? Does it feel like you're gaining mostly in the belly? An OB I saw was concerned I was gaining too quickly, but it turned out I had excessive amniotic fluid (and a large baby). In the first month after he was born, I dropped a full 30 pounds eating at maintenance.

• ReadyForWeightLoss
    Options
    That's a very good plan. How often are you having ultrasounds? Does it feel like you're gaining mostly in the belly? An OB I saw was concerned I was gaining too quickly, but it turned out I had excessive amniotic fluid (and a large baby). In the first month after he was born, I dropped a full 30 pounds eating at maintenance.

[/quote]
    Im not getting many ultrasounds I got one at 12 weeks and my next is on june 16 , ill be 31 weeks. my pregnancy isnt high risk and everything is okay so that is why im not getting many. And im actually not showing a lot so i think its mostly me and not baby. I would be so happy to losed 30lbs after baby lol, lucky you .

• akirkland1026
    akirkland1026 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am almost 25 weeks and I have gained 22 pounds so far! I'm counting my calories to try to maintain my weight. With my first I gained 56 pounds and lost all but 9 pounds. Then I got pregnant again with my surprise baby. Hoping not to gain as much as last time.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out too much. I was about your weight now at the end of all 3 of my pregnancies gaining 35-45 pounds each time. I lost over 30 lbs in the first 2 weeks. The amount of fluid that comes off your body is mind boggling.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant and obese. I spoke with my OB and I am eating 1800-2000 calories per day and he is very comfortable with this. I do try and exercise some and when I do I make sure my net calories are still above 1500, so I may eat more on those days. I have lost 6 pounds but my doctor is not concerned. It is fairly common for overweight/obese women to lose or gain only a small amount of weight during pregnancy as the baby can pull from our fat stores. That being said, of course we aren't aiming to lose weight, just eating healthy, moderate exercise and realizing we aren't truly eating for 2. I find it much easier to control the amount of junk food I eat now that I am worrying about the little one.
    I've seen other pregnant women on the site say they set their calories to maintenance for their weight and aim for 200-300 extra calories over that once they hit the 2nd trimester and the baby really starts growing. Sounds like you are in the home stretch and should have your little bundle of joy here soon and can then focus on loving him/her and losing weight as you feel comfortable.
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight during both my pregnancies. The first pregnancy turned out to be twins. The second pregnancy it was excessive amniotic fluid (which meant the baby wouldn't ultimately engage - just happy swimming around in there ;) . The Dr didn't discover this issue until I was a week late.

In other words, extra weight gain during pregnancy isn't necessarily due to to diet.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why doctors need to stress the importance of being at a healthy weight BEFORE getting pregnant.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why doctors need to stress the importance of being at a healthy weight BEFORE getting pregnant.

I started my third pregnancy at a healthy weight, the thinnest and fittest I'd been for years. I logged and ate below, then at maintenance, and exercised until 38 weeks. I still gained too much. All women handle pregnancy differently. I have gained about the same in all my three pregnancies, no matter what I did.

I started my first 2 pregnancies slightly overweight, maybe BMI 27, although I always weigh more than I look like I do, so I was a healthy size if that makes sense. Either way, keeping fit has meant I've had easy pregnancies, and easy labours just using gas and air, and I've never even needed stitches. I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated with my first, he was born within 1.5 hours of arriving at hospital.

I've lost all the weight after my babies, so try not to worry. In fact, I lost all the weight and more after my 2nd. My 3rd has just turned 1 and I have a little bit to go, but know I'll get there.

2000 calories sounds fine. My non pregnant maintenance is higher than that.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I gained a ton with all of my babies, too (30-40 lbs), and it came off quite quickly afterward (except my third but I had unrelated health issues that time). I wouldn't try to lose at all, just do as the doc said and make healthy choices :)
  • ReadyForWeightLoss
    Options
    Im 7wks pp and right when i had my baby I was down to 267. 1 week later I was back at my pre pg weight. All I did was walk atleast 20 min 3 times a week and watch some what , what I ate . Everything in moderation. Goodluck everyone!
  • ReadyForWeightLoss
    Options
    I didnt calorie count btw
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs. Doctor was right.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You need to eat maintenance cals during pregnancy.
    Some people gain huge amounts others can be full term with only around 21 lbs gain.
    I had two very different pregnancies - gained 3 stone / 42lbs first time and second time 25lbs which went in 3 months.
    My first child was 7lbs 8oz and the second 8lb 12oz.

Keep active as it will help and be mindful of how much you're eating.

Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy.
  • ReadyForWeightLoss
    Options
    Thanks A lot for the advice I only gained 5lbs and lost it within a week. My baby is already a month old .