6 month progress disappointment (Pics)

Options
jessjess210
jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
So I've been on this journey for about 6 months. I had a baby about 11 months ago. I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 twice a week and seeing a personal trainer twice a week. No cardio outside of that. Dietwise I eat at a deficit of 250/day. It varies from 1500-1750 a day depending on what my Fitbit charge hr calculates for me. Those who have been on this journey, what do you think about my progress in 6 months? I feel like I should have been leaner than what I am. I see the change in my belly, but nowhere else. Anybody have any suggestions?en9w2fttlc6o.jpg
vyg1b3jtjxsj.jpg
1m2enpsqlye9.jpg

Replies

• charlenelynch
    charlenelynch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I might have some advice for you.. it comes from experience. I had my first child Sept 2nd 2012, and I lost all 50 lbs and an extra 5lbs doing mainly cardio 6 times a week, a mix of strength training and aerobics. It took me 7 - 8 months. My calories were watched to drop down rapidly but boosted up for when I needed more fuel to burn in order to build muscle (which boosts your metabolism)

Now with my second child who was born May 12th 2015 - I have an even greater challenge to lose all 78lbs. So far I've lost 35lbs about on a 1200 calorie watch. My goal weight is 125lbs. Im doing the same cardio and strength training regime and I'm seeing results fast.

Give hard core cardio a go! Btw what was your pre-pregger weight?
  • brittanyalvear18
    brittanyalvear18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you look great :) I see a difference
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Never had a baby, but wow! I can see a clear difference not just in your belly, but your legs and back too!!! Good luck continuing to tone up! Maybe add some more cardio walks into your days or some more strength training! :)
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    you have made some good progress. Clearly visible from your pictures. I have also completed my six month journey. Made average progress. But everyone is different. Some people here are making amazing transformations in 6 months.
    I think you need to increase your strength training and also need to add cardio after your workouts may be twice a week. Two days of 5 by 5 is less according to me. In order to get better results you need to workout 5 or 6 days a week if you are looking for quick results.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I do strength train with my trainer, but he focuses on 8-15 reps so not as heavy. Guess I should add another day or two of stronglifts. I used to be a cardio bunny for years..I guess I'm just so over it that I don't wanna see another elliptical or treadmill! Guess I should start again :)
  • tampico65
    tampico65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. I had my first child at 23 and the second at 29 and I am now after all this year finally committing to losing the weight. Be proud of your work :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I do strength train with my trainer, but he focuses on 8-15 reps so not as heavy. Guess I should add another day or two of stronglifts. I used to be a cardio bunny for years..I guess I'm just so over it that I don't wanna see another elliptical or treadmill! Guess I should start again :)

You don't have to chain yourself to the cardio machines. You seem to like working out so why not ask your trainer about plyometrics or maybe some circuit training rather than the elliptical (I HATE THE ELLIPTICAL). Or, look up hiit training and add that in 1-2x a week. I don't mind the treadmill when I'm focused on a fun hiit interval program, plus they are typically shorter.

Your progress is awesome, and you've lost about a 1/2 pound a week. That's perfect, slow and steady-and you are LOOKING better. Did you look at your back? Fabulous change. If you really want to lose faster it's all about CICO. So really cardio doesn't even matter for that part. Reduce your calories a bit more (100-200 a day) and you will lose a little faster. But, again, your progress is great and I would advise you to stay the course. Add in some cardio because it's good for your heart, endurance and ultimately your lifts.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Oh, I would also go ahead and add the extra strong lifts day. Skip the higher rep stuff (you're already on a lifting program-stick to it) and use your trainer for other things-like the aforementioned cardio suggestions or form checks for your lifts.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is designed to be done 3x a week. you don't need a trainer too if you're already doing olympic lifting. my advice would be to skip the trainer and do cardio on the days you don't lift. you might also need to make your deficit a little more aggressive.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think youve made good progress considering only a 250 cal deficit which may or may not be accurate, only 2 lifting sessions and no cardio. If you want better results then you need to increase your deficit, which will be eating less or moving more.

Btw 250 cals a day is about 1/2 1lb a week, so the fact youve lost 12 is almost bang on the money. Im more surprised how close this has correlated for you as I would tend to think overall any loss would be less than the predicted calories because of overestimations.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I see a difference, especially in your back, legs, and stomach. You're doing well. Have patience with yourself; this isn't a sprint.
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    you look great, I can see weight loss all over! shame I can't see it on myself :p