Now that you've had success, how do you see overweight people?

Options
echmainfit619
echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
If you've lost significant weight, what goes through your mind now when you see an overweight person?

Replies

• kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm technically 59lbs down from my heaviest ever (though that was nigh on 10 years ago) and I don't see overweight people as anything but people. Hell, I AM still overweight. Although my view might be skewed because i'm a massage therapist, so I see a lot of bodies, all day every day. They're just bodies to me. I'm more concerned with a persons disposition than how much their bodies weigh.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    As a person.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well, to be honest, it depends. If I don't know them, they're just people. But there are some overweight people I know who complain a lot about their weight (and tell me I'm so "lucky" I could lose weight), and I now think that they either need to have some self discipline and actually lose weight or they need to stop complaining about it. I didn't lose weight because I was lucky, and waiting for luck to strike them is only going to continue their weight problems.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I would never judge them as people, but I will admit to judging their food choices on occasion, especially if someone is eating very caloric foods while complaining that they cant lose weight
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I see them as people.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've lost about ~25lbs and still want to lose more but I want to chime in anyway. I see everyone as a "person" I just think some people need more help than others. When I see someone who is overweight I see myself as I was when I was almost 200lbs standing at 5'1". I lacked a basic understanding of weight loss because my brain was so full of all the low fat/low carb/eat clean/blaaah weight loss junk that gets shoved down our throats. Some people need that "Aha!" moment and unfortunately some people never have it, or they do and just don't act upon it or know how to handle it. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they're some fat gross slob. A lot of their poor food choices are because they lack the basic knowledge of calories in/out. Or they've tried some crazy diet (again, a lack of understanding calories in/out) lost weight and then promptly gained it back plus more so they think "I just can't lose weight" and give up and give in.
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I definitely find myself thinking 'if only they lost x amount of weight, they'd see what they're missing', I wonder what their eating habits are like, I feel bad for them because I know, for me, life after weight loss is for the most part massively awesome and I wish they could share it. I don't really like thinking things like that because it means for sure that people thought it about me before I lost weight. I've lost almost 100lbs since highschool, so I know what it's like to be large and I know what it's like now being smaller. I also know how *kitten* you have to be eating or how mindlessly to get and stay that large so I think about that, too. I understand that people can have different types of disorders and that that is not the case for everyone, but it was the case for me when I was large.
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    I've lost about ~25lbs and still want to lose more but I want to chime in anyway. I see everyone as a "person" I just think some people need more help than others. When I see someone who is overweight I see myself as I was when I was almost 200lbs standing at 5'1". I lacked a basic understanding of weight loss because my brain was so full of all the low fat/low carb/eat clean/blaaah weight loss junk that gets shoved down our throats. Some people need that "Aha!" moment and unfortunately some people never have it, or they do and just don't act upon it or know how to handle it. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they're some fat gross slob. A lot of their poor food choices are because they lack the basic knowledge of calories in/out. Or they've tried some crazy diet (again, a lack of understanding calories in/out) lost weight and then promptly gained it back plus more so they think "I just can't lose weight" and give up and give in.

I am with you!

and for the record I am at my 'goal' weight from when I started losing, but I am still trying to lose around 15 more pounds. I have lots of loose skin and regret my years of obesity like nothing else! I feel so sad when I see people who are large because the extra weight to me just seems so awful! Such irreparable damage to the body. :'( not that people aren't beautiful or happy at all kinds of sizes. I am a bit harsh I think because I am harsh on myself!

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I see them as people.
    8460293.gif
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Cue a bunch of feel-good responses like 'I see them as a person'
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Same way I see everyone else.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I usually feel sad...Esp when I see them struggling for breath when simply walking. But...I put it out of my mind and move on.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I only get judgy when I see overweight kids. Breaks my heart, because I was that kid. And I judge the parents, not the child. So sue me.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I only get judgy when I see overweight kids. Breaks my heart, because I was that kid. And I judge the parents, not the child. So sue me.

If you had an overweight child, what would you do?
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My entire family is either obease or morbidly obease. Its hard to NOT see "them" as people since I love them very much. Everytime I see someone very overweight I feel very very bad because I feel that she/he is an aunt or a cousin to someone who loves them very much... and could be battling with the many health problems my family is riddled with due to being overweight.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't I see them as people?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    The same thing I do with my kids who aren't overweight. I use the word no. I ensure thatthey stay active, limit screen time, and make sure that the eat a healthy, well balanced diet. Focused on nutrition adequate for their needs. And, FWIW, I am talking about younger kids, parents have a long time where they are completely in control of what that kid puts in his/her mouth.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    The same thing I do with my kids who aren't overweight. I use the word no. I ensure thatthey stay active, limit screen time, and make sure that the eat a healthy, well balanced diet. Focused on nutrition adequate for their needs. And, FWIW, I am talking about younger kids, parents have a long time where they are completely in control of what that kid puts in his/her mouth.

What if you still have an overweight child when you do all of that?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

What do you see them as?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!