serving sizes

Options
rhodenizer
rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
Just a tip, I love to eat the veggie straws from Costco, but they are 260 cal for 68 chips, the bag is huge and there are over 680 chips in the bag, how do I know? I just counted out 10 bags of 68 chips each so that I would not sit down and eat the whole thing, I now can just grab a zip lock bag and know that I will have consumed 260 calorie snack. Took a few minutes to do but will be worth it, they will last me 10 days instead of most likely one evening of straight munching.

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I read the package, and count out ONE serving too! Its really amazing how small some servings are..
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    That's a really good idea. I did that with trail mix, but I always forget to do it with other snacks...
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hate the "serving size" :grumble:
  • ccorkery
    ccorkery Posts: 13
    Options
    I do this as well - but I'll usually cut it in half - so I have 34 straws. I usually grab these around 2:00 when I have the munchies, or if I have a smoothie for lunch and am craving something "crunchy" I find the 34 straws are plenty to cut out the cravings - and it's only 130 calories. These Veggie straws are Excellent snacks!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Real serving sizes are definitely an eye opener!! I've found myself staying away from certain snacks just because I know I can't stay within the serving size and there go my calories for the day.
  • alygoo615
    alygoo615 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 35 lbs and my greatest tool has been a digital food scale. I can't express enough how useful and instrumental it has been to me... so much less time consuming than counting out serving sizes and much more accurate! A digital food scale is inexpensive (you can get a pretty decent one for $20). Digital is the best since you can change it to grams/ounces and you can also "zero" the scale as you go. You can put a plate on the scale, and then zero it out, then continue adding food as you weigh it.

It has been a lifesaver! I can't be a bigger advocate for digital food scales for calorie counters!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    serving sizes seem to have gotten slightly more realistic since i lost most of my weight. i remember seeing plenty of vending machine snacks back then that were two servings; even a single serve noodle bowl was listed as two servings. the same product has changed to reflect reality since then. some of them now have cutesy little slogans on them like "more to share" or "2 to go," as if anyone "shares" a little bag of M&Ms or a candy bar.

however, i saw one today that really got on my nerves. i've been craving bagels for some reason, and when i went through the store shelf, all of them were like 260 cals, which is a no go. finally i found one brand of bagels that were 140 cals. that got me wondering, so i checked the package again, and sure enough, a serving was half a bagel, making the brand i chose 280 cals per bagel. i didn't buy them.

i eat like a bird most of the time, and even i know that 1/2 bagel is not a serving.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've thought of this, but decided I'd hate to waste the ziplocks.