Healthy Weight, but higher fat %...people don't understand why I want to loose a couple lbs of fat

Options
Is anyone else in this situation?

I'm 24 years old.
5' 3.5"
120 lbs (and very slowly dropping)

I am not overweight, and am normal within a BMI charge. I have a background in exercise and nutrition, so perhaps have a better understanding on these things than the average person.

I'm completely fine with my weight. I would like to loose some fat though. This is based on multiple tests of % body fat, rather than BMI. I'm a smaller framed person, with not a huge amount of muscle mass. That being said, I don't have a lot of lean body weight. I make up for this with some fat, particularly on my thighs, and still keeps me the normal BMI range. However, I am considered overweight when looking at %body fat.

I could be 112 lbs, and still fall into a healthy body fat%. I'd like to loose at least 5 lbs of fat. HOWEVER. I do not care if I also do not care if I loose that, yet gain the same amount in muscle mass and stay 120 lbs.

Because I'm not an overweight person, yet am trying to loose some fat weight, I have to keep pretty hush-hush about it. People are WAY TOO QUICK to assume I have an eating disorder. I don't. I've never had one either. I only wish to exhibit self-control in my eating, and fuel my body with healthy fuel. Yet, this is so quickly associated with being anorexic, which can be hurtful and frustrating (Dealing with this, is what caused me to gain 20+ pounds, 6 years ago...I'm finishing off loosing it, but am dealing with this issues again)

Is anyone out there in a similar situation, being a "normal" weight, yet still wanting to loose a couple? Feel free to friend me, or share your experience! :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Not in the SAME situation because I don't consider myself as "trying to lose a couple". I don't plan on any more weight coming off. I'm working on a recomp to change my body composition. 5'4" and 131 ish. So bigger than you, but unlike other people with my stats, I can't get into the 120s. I gave up. I'm at a healthy weight and when people say "oh you should stop losing", I just say "Yeah, thanks. I'm done". It's not like most of them would understand what I am trying to do anyway.
  • equestrianperson
    equestrianperson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent way to put it - changing body composition. I think that's more what I'm trying to do as well. The number on the scale is really not a big deal to me, but I would like to "change my body composition".
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent way to put it - changing body composition. I think that's more what I'm trying to do as well. The number on the scale is really not a big deal to me, but I would like to "change my body composition".

Yep. So what's your plan? There's a good body recomp thread going now, finally.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 131lb, and I'm trying to get to 125, but at this point I only want to lose fat. I get what you are saying. I get people warning me I'm "too skinny" which is hilarious. 125lb is also a healthy weight for 5'5".
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yep. So what's your plan? There's a good body recomp thread going now, finally.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

I’d definitely check out the recomp thread, OP - lots of good info. I’m similar to arditarose, 5’4” and got down to 125 and change. I want to lower body fat, but losing more weight doesn’t really feel like the right way to go about it at this point for me. Lifting heavy weights and eating at maintenance I think might give the results you’re looking for :smile:
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 1/2 , 125, was aiming for 120-123. I've been there before, but I am also heading to the re-comp zone soon. I dont care if the scales stop going down if i can lean out a bit. 1370 calories a day is catching up with me, and I'd rather have more energy to work with weights. The mental shift will be hard though. I don't think I can lose much more of my chest, either. :/

I've got to start figuring out how to increase calories.
  • kateabusse
    kateabusse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is crazy to read because I completely agree with all of you!! I am also 5'6.5", 127, and at 20% bf right now.. my goal has been to gain muscle and have been having trouble with that, thought the fat around the muscle would just kinda disappear as the muscle grew...well the muscle grew some and now I want to shed some fat off those muscles. It is a daily battle for me to figure out what plan to stick with. more cardio or..heavy weights still!? I was 117 with 10%bf about 1.5 years ago, but it was the same..no muscle just smaller compared to where I am now.
  • michaelgkucsma
    michaelgkucsma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kateabusse wrote: »
    Wow! This is crazy to read because I completely agree with all of you!! I am also 5'6.5", 127, and at 20% bf right now.. my goal has been to gain muscle and have been having trouble with that, thought the fat around the muscle would just kinda disappear as the muscle grew...well the muscle grew some and now I want to shed some fat off those muscles. It is a daily battle for me to figure out what plan to stick with. more cardio or..heavy weights still!? I was 117 with 10%bf about 1.5 years ago, but it was the same..no muscle just smaller compared to where I am now.

• michaelgkucsma
    michaelgkucsma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just want to be at 20 percent BF. I just cannot seem to do it. I am 6 ft. 183. 22.4%.
  • _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was the same weight about a year ago, and same height! I'm now around 116lbs and about 18% BF and feel so much better. I started incorporating some strength training in with my running and saw a huge difference!
  • equestrianperson
    equestrianperson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all the encouragement and helpful suggestions! :)