Who else is trying some jogging/running in my age group? (I'm 58)

I only did jogging in my 40's a little bit but always liked the feel of it and now with my achilles feeling better, I'm trying it again and liking it. I also hike and cycle so I feel my legs are strong enough. Anyone else adding it to their exercise?

Replies

• librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Btw I am just over 200 pounds. Down 60 from last year.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2015
    I was jogging, but a torn rotator cuff has put me on the sidelines until surgery in July. But once I am recovered, I plan to get back to it. Funny, I hated running/jogging when younger (in the Marine Corps), but now when it's not mandatory, I find I really enjoy it. Oh, and I'm 52.

Congrats on the loss!
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    I am now doing some jogging/running and I am 54 and around 190 lbs. I went thru the C25K program and ran in my first 5K race over Memorial weekend and I plan to run in another one on June 27th. It took me several tries to complete C25K but it was really worth the time and effort. I have always been overweight and have never done any running so I needed to start very slow.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I am 50, started running a year ago and love it. Did three half marathons and a couple of 10k races. Age is no limiting factor. See here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article22753806.html
    (92 year old marathoner...)
    Stef.
  • librarydebster
    Yes she is very inspiring! I have some discomfort from my Achilles tendon but after completing some physio it is somewhat better. I love the feel of running so I do it maybe one or two days a week for now.
  • librarydebster
    Lesaw01 thanks for your reply too. Nice to know u r successful at it And that u take your time as I need to do
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    I really stay away from jogging. Don't want to get hurt.
  • librarydebster
    Justme2691. Interesting that u like jogging now that it is your choice. It feels powerful to run. I will take it easy and increase as I can but prob won't do marathons
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I only did jogging in my 40's a little bit but always liked the feel of it [...] Anyone else adding it to their exercise?

:+1:

I'm 53; I started running again last September (2014) near my heaviest (255). My BP had always been lowish but started climbing last year.

When I started I couldn't even run 1km without stopping, often. Wheezing. I'd had pneumonia earlier in the year and that definitely was something I had to work through to improve lung function. I only ran 200km from September through December, building up slowly but surely, not letting winter weather stop me.

This year I've already run 991km and these days am adding 200 - 250km a month. Not sure where this will go but I'm having fun.

Since starting I'm down 67 pounds to 188 and am working my way to my goal weight about ~30 pounds lighter. My BP dropped from 134/95 to 105/62. My resting heart rate is 45 and I feel absolutely great. Everything else I do is so much easier now, from cycling to hiking (I want to run every hike now) to work around the home. I feel better and more fit than I did through most of my 40's.

If you have no health issues preventing you from running it's a great aerobic activity that will build your cardio pulmonary system, perhaps reducing your apparent cardio pulmonary "age" by decades.

A key thing for me is avoiding injury that would side-line me. While I do hills and speed work (intervals or fartlek work outs), much of my endurance training is done at slower pace. Slowing things down allows you to run longer, recover faster, reduce injury, and build an aerobic base.

A running watch with a heart rate monitor, for me, has been an indispensable training aid. It keeps me honest about my pace.

• mwyvr

Do you have a reason to believe you'll get hurt?

Being older is not a reason.

For those who do not have joint issues, running has been shown to be effective in prolonging your joint mobility, not the opposite as many who aren't involved in running seem to believe.

• librarydebster
    Age is not my concern. Just my repairing Achilles. Stretches seem to be helping as well as the physio I had earlier. Just wondered if anyone my age started out slower
  • librarydebster
    Thanks mwyvr. Your info is encouraging. I am noticing good cardiovascular endurance with my jogging and I am taking it slowly
  • mwyvr
    Great @librarydebster - all the best!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member

you can get hurt doing any form of exercise if you aren't careful.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

I can get killed walking down the street too, It doesn't stop me trying it!

I love running and so does my husband who is 50, we hope that we never have to stop. Age is a number not a barrier to trying new things.
  • librarydebster
    That's a good attitude. I figure as long as I am easing into it and listening to my body I should b fine
  • mwyvr
    That's a good attitude debster!

Our bodies are amazing things, capable of so much more than most of us can imagine at the beginning of our journeys.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I run 30 miles a week which is 5 miles every morning at 5:30. I will be 47 in a couple of months... 6 months ago all I could do is walk around the neighborhood..

Getting fitted for running shoes and custom inserts made all the difference for my running... not to mention I am able to breath better now that my cardiovascular health is in order.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    I just turned 59 and started running last year for the first time. I went from being unable to complete a lap to running 5+K without struggling. There are days where tight hamstrings or a sore back get in the way, but it s a source of pleasure and pride.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    I just love reading blogs like this. I'm 45 and have been running very seriously for about six years. This year will be my 6th half marathon. I always ask myself if I'll still be doing this when I'm 60. Provided I have no injuries, I think I will always have running in system. When I first started I was about 205 and now for the last few years I've been at 165 and what an absolute difference running makes when you drop some weight. The fact your down 60 pounds is really good. I think running at 260 would have been hard on your joints anyway. Not sure what your goal weight is but even if you lost another 10-15 pounds, you'll see an incredible difference in how much easier it is to run. Just make sure you stretch that achilles really well. And who knows, as you build up your cardio you may want to take on a 10k run or even a half marathon. Remember a marathon is not a race but personal achievment. There's no rush to finish at a certain time. I've seen people take 4 hours to do a half marathon. In 15 years I hope to be just like most here and still be running. And mwyvr, good for you in losing all that weight. keep it up.
  • librarydebster
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the encouragement and the info re stretching oilphins! It's good to hear from someone who has been my weight and ran it off! Some of my friends think I'm crazy for wanting to run but I enjoy the feeling. I may never run for an hour but hopefully it helps me get this last 30 pounds off.
    And thanks everyone for your contributions. I really appreciate it!