how do stay motivated to work out

Options
i cant seem to get myself to workout
need the motivation

Replies

• Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes with success. Once you start feeling and looking better you don't need that motivation anymore. Think of how good you wil feel afterwards!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem but once you start and make it a habit, it's hard not to work out. There is a study that says in order to make something a habit, you must do it at least 21 times. You know what the end result will be it's just taking that first step. So get off your butt and get moving!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You know what? I look at before and after pics of myself. THAT is motivation to get off my butt and DO IT!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i cant seem to get myself to workout
    need the motivation

It depends on your goals, are they realistic...?
  • misskuda
    misskuda Posts: 12
    Options
    thanx
    im just starting out so its a little daunting
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Motivation can also be a deadline. I recently started biking to work. My office doesn't have showers, so I have to get ready and cleaned up in the restroom. It also means I have to get there early enough to do that.

All that to say, sometimes, when you have a destination and a time limit, it helps get the workout in. I use to count calories but didn't work out - then I started biking and I'm burning a little more then 600 a ride. 3 times a week (minimum) and a month into it - it's been providing results. Then, like "Msaip" said, once you see results, you get motivation to do it again.

Good luck!
  • misskuda
    misskuda Posts: 12
    Options
    thanx
    im just starting out so its a little daunting
  • chmie662
    chmie662 Posts: 31
    Options
    find something to look forward to in addition to seeing positive results...maybe a cute guy at the gym, an awesome work out playlist, or new workout clothes
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me when I started working out was just getting to the gym door. You need to make the decision to just go and do it. don't make an excuse on why you can't go now, today, or this week. You need to just get up and do... Like a few have mentioned, as soon as it becomes routine and you start seeing results, you'll be hooked. Just don't give up too soon and keep your head in the game!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Have to start... even 10 min a day if thats all you can get through(or two minutes, my first goal was to be able to walk to the end of my driveway). Build from there. Now I love to exercise and usually do 2 hrs a day, early in the morning before anything interferes.
  • maggiemoo1963
    Options
    I find that I must focus completely on working out, almost to the exclusion of other things. There is alot of self talk. I drive straight from work to the gym, and am there for 1 1/2 hours. The motivation I get is that once i am done, I feel great. It's hard, but even if the pounds aren't falling off, I know I am making my heart healthy and that is really important.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Motivation may not be the answer in the beginning, or at any rate, don't confuse "motivation" with "desire." To me, habit is everything. When I started out, I committed to going to the gym and walking on the treadmill every week day, no matter what, even if I didn't feel like it. Even if it meant walking on no incline for a very short amount of time, I knew that creating the habit and including exercise as a regular, normal, expected part of my lifestyle would be key to my success and staying consistent. For me, the hardest part (mentally) was just getting to the gym. Once I was there, I was usually ok. It's the same for exercise videos, walking the dog, whatever. There is a part of me, as I continue to challenge myself physically with my cardio, that I kind of dread the thought, but I have mostly conquered the "getting there" part now, because it really has become part of my life.

I also recommend finding a few exercises/activities that you can enjoy and mix them up. I have some MFPals that LOVE step classes (and there are videos).

Finally, results can be encouraging, but you have to give it time and trust the longer term trend. GOOD LUCK!