struggle to lose at age 52

Options
2»

Replies

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    57 here. I have lost 40 pounds. calorie counting, using food scale, meal planning, etc.

A great resource for me, is a book by Judith Beck. It's called, The beck Diet Sol'n". It goes into the psychology of weight loss and teached tools for dieting/maintenance. It works with any diet plan.

Also, as we age, our thyroid gland may not be as productive. At your next check-up, have your doc run a thyroid panel. Current medical rec is to start replacement with thyroid hormone if TSH is 3 or more.
  • mary563
    mary563 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    angels2013 wrote: »
    I am 59 and have 48 pounds to lose. Do you want to add me as a friend?

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am 51. I try not to think of age as a limit to being trim and healthy.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend if you want.
  • cbj2000_1
    cbj2000_1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been using MFP for 27 days today and down 8.5 lbs!!! Had been very frustrated with all the wotkout time I spent and little weight loss. A couple things that help me are: a) I ignore the remaining calories and stick to staying at or below the goal calories; b) pay very close attention to my sugar consumption; c) look forward to completing my daily entry... seeing what I'd weight in 5 weeks if every day were like today.

No, every day is not the same, BUT every day has been a lot closer to my target weight!!!

Good luck!

PS - Regarding sugar... I'm trying to staying between 30-50 g/day. What was explained to me was my sugar intake was so high that my exercise was busy burning all that sugar and not getting to the stored stuff.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and I'm closing in on my third year on MFP. I've been at my goal weight for over two years. My gratification: when I visit my daughters in San Francisco, they aren't standing at the top of a hill waiting for me to huff my way to the top.
  • mary563
    Options
    I like that thank you for your inspiring words.. I can do it
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Over 50 isn't a big deal

I have been very surprised at how my body still adds muscle and burns fat off :)

Maybe I had just given up when my body knew better!

Good luck. You can do it!!
  • mitch22098
    mitch22098 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 45, younger than some. I am also trying to lose the last 40 pounds of extra weight. However I did lose 70 pounds by using MFP and Wii My Fitness Coach.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    52 like me.... that´s just perfect like all other ages :D And I learned in march 2014 when I joined MFP: There´s no time like the present. Make a plan, start and don´t stop. You can do it. All of your fitness pals know it and you know it.... :D
  • mary563
    Options
    Ty so much for the positive feedback.i really appreciate it :)