Scorpion - what would have happened if it pinched me?!?

Options
Jelybe
Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
A few minutes ago... at my desk... in my office... there was a SCORPION on my FOOT!

ON. MY. FOOT.

It was a BIG scorpion. SCORPION.

I wish I had my heart rate monitor on, because I know my heart rate was up and it still hasn't recovered!

Going to die now.

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When we live in se GA, a friend of mine had one in her couch(we have NO idea how it got there) and as she was getting up, she put her hand back in the coushin and it bit her! It was just a little one, but she said it hurt!
  • ginmo333
    ginmo333 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh!!! i HATE scorpions! we get them here all the time (az) ... That would freak me right out! Luckily I have never had to deal with that. ..yet. I seriously have bad dreams about them weekly!! I am so glad it didn't sting you! yikes.
  • plockerman
    plockerman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're not allergic to them all you end up is real angry. It feels like someone put out a cigarette on you!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Depends on the kind of scorpion. Some can just give a painful sting, some can make you very sick, and some can kill you.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If it pinched you it would probably hurt a bit but nothing more.

What kind of scorpion was it? Some are more docile than others naturally.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If it pinched you, it would just hurt and you'd be okay. Kind of like getting pinched by a small crab. If it STUNG you, depending on if you're allergic or not, you'd have varying reactions and might have needed hospitalization. Squish that sucker!!
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I got stung by one when I was younger, right after we moved to FL. Not fun - if it's a small one, it just hurts like hell, swells up, but nothing serious.

Now my skin is crawling...thanks for putting imaginary scorpions all of over me. :smile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I now remember why I live in Michigan.

Maybe snow, ice and cold aren't so bad after all.

*shudders*

Glad you're okay!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I don't know you, but I'm glad you're not dead.

ETA:

BTW - I'm not trying to make light of this, but you would know if the scorpion stung you. If you are interested in seeing a funny exerpt of Sealab w/ a scorpion and a BeBop Cola machine (featuring sodas such as Mango Reinhardt and Fizzy Gillespie), PM me and I'll find the link for ya!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Years ago we were on a vacation and my brother pulled one boot on and just so happened to turn over the other one before he pulled it on. Guess what fell out? A big fat scorpion!!! I still shudder, thinking about it.
  • Jelybe
    Options
    I still feel it crawling on me! I have the heebeegeebees.

I'm in AZ. But not originally - I always thought that if you were stung by a scorpion that you had to rush to the hospital for some sort of anti-venum or else you were a goner! LOL Now I see why my husband calls me dramatic.

I'm glad to hear that getting stung is not the end of the world. But still, I don't know if I've ever been so scared. Breathing.... breathing...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I love scorpions if you grab them by the tale just right you can handle them.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I still feel it crawling on me! I have the heebeegeebees.

I'm in AZ. But not originally - I always thought that if you were stung by a scorpion that you had to rush to the hospital for some sort of anti-venum or else you were a goner! LOL Now I see why my husband calls me dramatic.

I'm glad to hear that getting stung is not the end of the world. But still, I don't know if I've ever been so scared. Breathing.... breathing...

My boyfriend lived in Florida for 10 yrs and is trying to convince me to move down there with him. I told him I'm not a fan of bugs, alligators or other critters who can in some way kill me. And don't even get me going on hurricanes.. lol. I'm too old for snow, ice and cold -- but dangit.. it limits the amount of critters because it gets so cold!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    *shivers* I hate all forms of arachnids...ugh
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.... I've been stung several times (they like to hide under things in the garden :/ ) and it stings bad but it's not like, life threatening, excruciating "oh my god, I'm going to die" pain, it just stings like hell. I had a real small bump from where it got me on my finger but it went away after a few hours. Alot of people freak out when they get stung and i think that makes it worse, its not so much the bite as much as the fear and panic that sets in. The US has several varieties of scorpion and only one is known to be deadly, the Arizona Bark Scorpion, and even with that one fatalities are limited mainly to people who are already susceptible to venom in general ( bee stings and such) or those who have compromised immune systems and small children and pets. Intense burning and Numbness in the area stung is the most common side effect.
  • Jelybe
    Options
    I googled it - it looked like a Desert Hairy Scorpion. I guess I would have lived. But the hair on my arms stands up just typing the word...