Confused-Is it ok to fast before a weight training exercise?

Options
Working legs this morning - Beast Body...should I fast or is it only good to fast before cardio? I try to listen to my body. If I wake up hungry I eat, if I don't I won't. Always before 11am, after 11am there's no way I would attempt it again. I did once or twice and had barely any energy to finish.
If I should eat, what's the best choice carbs, proteins or fats? Or should I just have a protein shake with glutamine, berries and spinach?

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I lift to add muscle and do cardio mainly to burn fat or create a calorie deficit

So...

If you research muscle building sites most of them would suggest a small protein shake before lifting so you have it in your system to rebuild muscle.

A good night of sleep is important As well.

I drink a Gold Standard Whey protein shake. 120 calories of almost all protein and a few carbs.

• skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. I always train fasted. It's also fine to eat first. Experiment and do what makes you feel best.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I cannot train on a full stomach it makes me ill and my husband has to eat before a session or he feels tired, so it really depends on the person. Short answer: Whatever feels best for you.
  • chryaills
    chryaills Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me to eat complex carbs 45 minutes before working out and protein 30 minutes after.
  • ladygirl123
    ladygirl123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    chryaills wrote: »
    My trainer tells me to eat complex carbs 45 minutes before working out and protein 30 minutes after.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.
  • ladygirl123
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I cannot train on a full stomach it makes me ill and my husband has to eat before a session or he feels tired, so it really depends on the person. Short answer: Whatever feels best for you.

Thanks I can't either, I need to wait 30-45 minutes to then workout.
  • ladygirl123
    Options
    I lift to add muscle and do cardio mainly to burn fat or create a calorie deficit

So...

If you research muscle building sites most of them would suggest a small protein shake before lifting so you have it in your system to rebuild muscle.

A good night of sleep is important As well.

I drink a Gold Standard Whey protein shake. 120 calories of almost all protein and a few carbs.

Sounds good! Thanks! That's exactly what I did. I started to feel alil hungry so I opt to have that to be on the safe side. I'm noticing since I started lifting I'm waking up hungry. Why is that?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Just to add a bit that I was not very clear about after a re read

I do exercise and do low intensity morning cardio on an empty stomach. Not lifting. I don't know that it burns more fat per se. I just prefer the treadmill time with some coff and waking up to TV.

Some swear by working out while empty for fat burn.

I have actually tested with my glucose tester my waking blood sugar, done treadmill an hour and can see the drop. If that is a goal then fasting cardio does do that.