Don't obsess over numbers, look at what you need

Options
mwinters82
mwinters82 Posts: 12 Member
I joined myfitnesspal a few years ago and have been using it on and off. I've had my ups and downs with it. One thing I was told by my GP was that I was starving myself with the low calorie suggestion and he suggested I upped my exercise. I did, and that's when the weight really started coming off. In 8 weeks, along with a 'watched' diet, I lost 10lbs. The best bit, I loved the exercise and it made me even more aware of what I was eating.

I'd become obsessed with food and numbers. I had a turning point when I tried on wedding dresses. I was in between sizes and told to lose a little. Which I did. However, I looked at it differently.... I focused on fat intake rather than calories, as not all calories are bad. 5/7 days I maintained a low fat diet, and the other two were relax days. I didn't look at carbs, or calories, just the fat intake. And, as long as I kept it low, along with the exercise, I saw results.

Initially, the weight loss itself was slow to start with, but I noticed huge changed in my body. My FF cups went down to a DD. My waist became tiny, and my legs... I have solid thighs. Most importantly, the energy I had was amazing.

I did make the mistake and slack when my fiance, now husband, arrived from the US, and slowly, slowly, over Christmas, a wedding and a honeymoon, the weight came back, not all, but some. And just as I started to make a start again, I found out I was pregnant.

Exercise is important during pregnancy, however, the day we found out, I also managed to cause severe muscle damage in my lower back after falling off a curb during a 5 mile walk. Needless to say, my exercise has been mostly crawling as some days it's too painful to walk. I've always made sure to never keep still.

I've managed to keep my weight gain to a minimum. Starting out overweight wasn't great, and I had planned on becoming 'healthy' before trying. I guess babies can't wait. In the first few months I only gained 4lbs, but now, at 25 weeks, that's upped to another 4lbs. Still under the 'normal', but midwives and drs are pleased I haven't ballooned as some mums might.

I have had problems though. A concussion leading to being put on blood pressure tablets. And a GTT test, where my sugar levels were borderline and now have an appointment with a dietician on Monday. My diet has changed. Become more 'carby' and my exercise is minimal. I know what I need to do to change it, and this time, it's not just me I have to worry about, but someone more important, cute and tiny.

Replies

• hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of what others might say about low fat diets. I totally get it, but i know others are critical as we all need some fat in our diets.

Fantastic news on the pregnancy! And to only put on 8lbs is amazing! ♡♡♡

Good luck !♡♡
  • mwinters82
    mwinters82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) it's not completely low fat, just careful which ones I do eat. A little of everything in moderation isn't bad :) x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!