Fruit And veg

Options
hi all. I'm just back after falling way off track! Just wanted to check is it worth counting salad and veg, fruit?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Yes, because they all have calories, and they'll add up. You don't want to go over your daily calories.
  • alison6902
    alison6902 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I track everything, but I don't always weigh my non starchy veggies and my fruit. I find the volume entries (i.e.cups) or unit entries ( 1 small apple, 1 medium onion, etc.) to be close enough when the calorie density is so low.
  • cenandra
    cenandra Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do not mainly because I am on Maintenance, but also due to Weight Watchers plan does not and considers them free. The way I look at it is if their free food I will go to it before choosing the wrong food like pretzels or what not. Its a mental game and whatever works. :wink:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    alison6902 wrote: »
    hi all. I'm just back after falling way off track! Just wanted to check is it worth counting salad and veg, fruit?

Absolutely!!

Just as an example ...

A mango comes in at 135 calories.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1952/2

A medium banana is 105 calories.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

If you're on a 1250 cal diet like I am, those things can make up a significant portion of my diet.
  • alison6902
    alison6902 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for your replies. It was the weightwatchers approach with fruit and veg which made me wonder.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if it is a food with calories, it should be logged.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    alison6902 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your replies. It was the weightwatchers approach with fruit and veg which made me wonder.

It would still be possible to gain weight with the weight watcher approach. A calorie surplus, whether with 100% spinach or 100% pizza will make you gain weight. (albeit eating a calorie surplus of purely spinach would be way more difficult...)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. I weigh my dang spinach on a food scale so I'm definitely weighing and logging fruit...which I don't find very low calorie at all.