LA Fitness Training Assessment -- Don't sacrifice good judgement!

Options
2 bad days starting w exercise trainer assessment. Told him I had a torn rotator cuff. I should have refused the heavy rope test.
I was too compliant. I'm 67 & should know better. Of course, I hurt my shoulder. I felt his goal was to demoralize me into signing a contract. Which I didn't. He showed me, by contrast,my last trainer was interested in helping clients avoid injury. This guy wanted a contract & commission. Today my shoulder is better but weak when I try to raise it. To make matters worse, I lost my meal structure. I ate no breakfast. By 2 PM ate a pint of Ben & Jerrys! So, more self recriminazations. But, one good thing, I decided to see if my old trainer is still doing classes. Just because a trainer says he's certified doesn't mean I should sacrifice good judgement!

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've seen the LA Fitness "trainers" in action and I would agree with your assessment. It's all about signing a contract.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here are some tips for you. I know it says for men, but they will work for anyone. I joined LA Fitness for the equipment, and convenience of several locations. Since you're coming from another gym, and trainer, why did you feel the need to do the fitness assessment??

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/gym-tips-for-men.html
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Im glad you didnt sign anything. Some trainers are all about the money and could care less about injury. I had a similar situation happen last year (not la fitness though, a different place) anyway it was my first meeting with the new trainer so i brought him my progress charts from previous years and brought him a brief medical overview. The medical overview had information about my knee issues and wrist problems so some lifting routines would need to be modified.
    He quickly flipped through the charts and instantly wanted to tell me about how women shouldn't lift heavy and that his girls only lift up to 40lb anyway. He then told me i needed to slim down to 125 lbs . (Im 5'8 tall and weigh @ 135/140lbs then) he went on to tell me that he thinks muscular women look like men and that he needed me to stop my current lifting program. Asap.
    So i said, well i think my goals are a little different then yours and im very concerned that you didnt read my medical charts thoroughly so i can prevent injury.
    To make a long story short, i left and found a different trainer that cared about my goals and medical issues.
    Not all trainers are good so its important to find one that meshes well with you . Im glad that you realized that this trainer wasn't for you
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    A free training assessment is purely to prove to you that you're fat and out of shape and training is of value to you.

It's almost purely a marketing gimmick- I hated doing intro /free training assessments- it meant nothing. When I trained I gave people MY test- which was one they could repeat on their own or at home to see any improvement.

Problem with training is that if you're truly good at your job- the bulk of people might not come back. You have to be confident in your ability to train and your 'bed side manner' as it were. Those two thigns keep clients- not just beating them up.
    Sorry you had that experience- but yes- very common for people to get pushed hard- the point is to prove to you that you aren't in good shape, so they can then sell you training.
  • lattesam
    lattesam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Im glad you didnt sign anything. Some trainers are all about the money and could care less about injury. I had a similar situation happen last year (not la fitness though, a different place) anyway it was my first meeting with the new trainer so i brought him my progress charts from previous years and brought him a brief medical overview. The medical overview had information about my knee issues and wrist problems so some lifting routines would need to be modified.
    He quickly flipped through the charts and instantly wanted to tell me about how women shouldn't lift heavy and that his girls only lift up to 40lb anyway. He then told me i needed to slim down to 125 lbs . (Im 5'8 tall and weigh @ 135/140lbs then) he went on to tell me that he thinks muscular women look like men and that he needed me to stop my current lifting program. Asap.
    So i said, well i think my goals are a little different then yours and im very concerned that you didnt read my medical charts thoroughly so i can prevent injury.
    To make a long story short, i left and found a different trainer that cared about my goals and medical issues.
    Not all trainers are good so its important to find one that meshes well with you . Im glad that you realized that this trainer wasn't for you

• lattesam
    Options
    Here are some tips for you. I know it says for men, but they will work for anyone. I joined LA Fitness for the equipment, and convenience of several locations. Since you're coming from another gym, and trainer, why did you feel the need to do the fitness assessment??

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/gym-tips-for-men.html
    lattesam wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

The reason I got the training assessment was...I was told by the receptionist I needed to do that before I started using gym equipment. They needed to have my "personal history" she said. BS. That guy had no history in my personal history

Since yesterday I discovered I can use diff gyms under the (old age) Silver Sneakers program. So I can see my old trainer at YMCA--who really helped w strength training to compensate for the torn rotator cuff. So, today it's all good & I benefitted from the training assessment in ways the sales/trainer didn't anticipate.
  • lattesam
    Options
    Very good info in AskMen. I am going to pass that on to a friend.
  • lattesam
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    A free training assessment is purely to prove to you that you're fat and out of shape and training is of value to you.

It's almost purely a marketing gimmick- I hated doing intro /free training assessments- it meant nothing. When I trained I gave people MY test- which was one they could repeat on their own or at home to see any improvement.

Problem with training is that if you're truly good at your job- the bulk of people might not come back. You have to be confident in your ability to train and your 'bed side manner' as it were. Those two thigns keep clients- not just beating them up.
    Sorry you had that experience- but yes- very common for people to get pushed hard- the point is to prove to you that you aren't in good shape, so they can then sell you training.

After 2 knee replacement surgeries in 6 mons, I saw a physical therapist and my trainer gave me exercises to do at home. I give a lot of credit to their team work for the successful outcome of the surgeries. The sooner to work those knees the better. And do the stretches for range of motion!