Tattos and breastfeeding???

Options
Bubbles_09
Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
I want to get a tattoo (not on my boob), but im wondering if its still safe to do that while breastfeeding..any body had any experiences with this.??

Replies

• imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    nope you need to wait until your done breast feeding just to be safe
  • XBabigrl72
    XBabigrl72 Posts: 88
    Options
    It's best to live by this. IF you wouldn't do it while you're pregnant than you probably shouldn't while you're breast feeding.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's best to live by this. IF you wouldn't do it while you're pregnant than you probably shouldn't while you're breast feeding.

^^^ THIS!!!!!!!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    no telling what could get in your blood stream
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You need to wait at least 6 weeks after giving birth to allow your body to heal. Besure you are going to a CLEAN respectable place and that everything is used only once and disgarded. Then you should be fine. Nothing in a clean tattoo can harm you or the baby, you want to wait the 6 weeks just to allow your body time to recover from the child birth.
    Good luck
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!!!!!!!

I agree as well....better safe than sorry =)
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    it's dye/ink!!!!!!
    many people pump/dump it they are drinking alcohol, so i would say no.
    why not wait?? it's such a short time in your life, why worry about the potential if you can help it?
    good luck!!
  • Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    yea i agree i would wait until you are done breast feeding.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I breastfeed both my kids....this time in your life will be over in a blink of an eye:)) wait it out and when you are done nursing go for it!!!! Good luck!!
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    I am nursing and i got a tattoo.
    the ink goes into your skin, not your milk. Make sure you go to a professional and not have it jail housed, and youll be fine
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    BTW i have heard that SOME tattoo shops wont let you get a tat if they know you are pregnant or nursing (they ask when you go in) just because of liability reasons. my guy i go to doesnt ask though. (but it did come up because his wife is pregnant with another baby. so yes he was aware)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I hear tattoos hurt ......
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In any case, in he words of Jimmy Buffet "It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling" So as per what the others said ...Why take any risk.
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Same rules as if you weren't breastfeeding - go to a clean place where they know what they're doing. Make sure you're safe! But do make sure your body is completely healed from giving birth first so your body can tackle a tattoo!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I hear tattoos hurt ......

haha
  • striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    My thought is, if you have to ask the question you already have a concern. I'd simply wait.
  • lmarcia
    lmarcia Posts: 27
    Options
    There are places that will not allow you to get tattooed while breastfeeding because of infection risks. Plus, if you're losing weight then I'd wait anyways so that my skin went back to normal.
  • Jeclshirley
    Jeclshirley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got one while nursing as my first mothers day gift! There is nothing against it :-)
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Yes you can safely get a tattoo whilst breastfeeding. I'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old and will be getting a tattoo when I reach my next weight loss goal.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/mom-activities.html#Tattoos

"There is no evidence that getting a tattoo will affect breastfeeding. There should be no harm to mom or baby from the dyes injected. If you get a tattoo, the biggest concern for anyone (not just nursing moms) is infection (hepatitis or HIV)-- so make sure the place you go has good references and is clean."