My old habits

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
Wow. Just put into prespective how much MFP has changed my life. I used to drink 3, 32oz fountain Mt Dews a day. That is about 1200 a day in just pop! Not to mention the Taco Bell, burgers, sweets and other crap I used to eat. Really gonna stop beating myself up when I go over my calories by like 200 on occasion..

I also used to watch my 13 year old sister once a month and we would get a large pizza hut stuffed crust pizza, each get a pint of B&J's ice cream and play wii all night. I was so unhealthy! I cannot even imagine eating all of that in one sitting anymore!

Anyone else realizing how much MFP has changed your life and you don't even notice it!!??

Replies

• EricaSno28
    EricaSno28 Posts: 20
    Options
    MFP has changed my habits drastically and made me so aware of calories!!!!!!!!!!!! I consider eating (for example - a pack of chocolate Zingers from a vending machine) a WASTE ..... there is 440 calories in there .... && to think I use to eat that AFTER my lunch which was usually McDonald's, Taco Bell ... you know anything fast food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love it & the people here are wonderful. I;ll send you a friend request!
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    I have noticed how much it changed my life and I LOVE it! I have never felt so much more energized and healthy. It's a great feeling. Calories were every where and I never knew what I was actually consuming till I started MFP. Some of the things I was eating were horrible and now I don't even want to eat them knowing the calories and the way they made me feel.
    Good for you! Keep up the good work. Kudos to MFP!!!!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i know right!! i logged a day the way i used to eat.. i had 3.5 days worth of food in one day.. sick.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how much it changed my life and I LOVE it! I have never felt so much more energized and healthy. It's a great feeling. Calories were every where and I never knew what I was actually consuming till I started MFP. Some of the things I was eating were horrible and now I don't even want to eat them knowing the calories and the way they made me feel.
    Good for you! Keep up the good work. Kudos to MFP!!!!

not to mention so in control! i love that i know exactly what is going into my body and how much of it..
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also used to watch my 13 year old sister once a month and we would get a large pizza hut stuffed crust pizza, each get a pint of B&J's ice cream and play wii all night. I was so unhealthy! I cannot even imagine eating all of that in one sitting anymore!

Confession... I used to do the same... And not with my 13 year old sister, but with my fiance!!! Shameful.
    He's my biggest supporter now!!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah am I feeling this. Used to be a serious Pepsi addict. I always had an ice cold glass of pepsi with me no matter what, at home, in t hecar, at work, you name it. And, when I emptied it, I filled it back. I have replaced that with water and lots of it. I think if I used to drink 1 8 oz glass of water in a day, that was a big water day. Most days I had none. I just used to eat and not care about silly things like calories and sugar. Now, I want to know the calorie count of every thing that goes into my mouth. I never used to exercise AT ALL - bump on a log. Now, I make a point of adding exercise into everything I do, and I feel guilty when I do. I never would run or jog, and hated walking. Now, while I still am not a runner or fond of it for that matter, I still incorporate jogging into my walking routine and absolutely LOVE to walk and have made it a regular part of my routine. I did my first 10K a couple of weeks ago, something I never would have even thought possible. I look for ways to incorporate exercise into whatever I do. Haven't had fast food in 8 months, and while I won't say I will never have fast food, I will say I will make healthier choices whenever I'm in a fast food situation. Sometimes circumstances just make that the only choice. So yeah, I would say a few things have changed. Great Job!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Confession... I used to do the same... And not with my 13 year old sister, but with my fiance!!! Shameful.
    He's my biggest supporter now!!

If we're going for confession, I think there may have been a time or two where I ate the entire pizza and the tub of ice cream MYSELF (and not done the Wii which may have burned off some cals but rather lounged on the couch watching TV)
    Now, I can't even conceive of eating anywhere near that much.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I thought i was so healthy, and my problem was portion size. Wrong! I ate rice for three, I used five times as much oil in cooking than I needed, and I drank a day's worth of calories in lattes, coffees and teas. I thought a bagel had fewer calories than a donut, and I ate butter but avoided ice cream... I was clueless! I can't believe how much fat from dairy I ate before MFP. And all those giant bags of natural cheetos... LOL. I still miss those, but not how they made me look or feel.
  • jazzhottie
    jazzhottie Posts: 45
    Options
    MFP has seriously changed my life too! I can't believe that this site is free. I tell everyone I know about it. It is so great to have an objective, non-judgmental object help keep me accountable to what I put in my body. My husband who was leery of the site has changed his mind. After seeing me lose 35 lbs over 4 months he decided to join too. Now we are in this together and he is as amazed as I was at the effectiveness of the site. :-)
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    MFP helped you on your journey...YOU changed your life. My congratulations are for your determination and motivation and a new healthy lifestyle:bigsmile:
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    And logging in calories also encourages me to exercise because I love to log in those exercise calories! Not to mention it really does feel good to exercise. It's just getting through the doors of the gym I have a hard time with most of the time.
  • MommyLumpkin
    MommyLumpkin Posts: 129
    Options
    My old habits are alot like yours...except it was Dr Pepper instead of MD.

Now, my worst habit is telling people how many calories they're eating. I have to bite my tongue alot. I don't want to be "that girl/*****" LOL
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    MFP has changed my life as well. My DH and I used to eat SO bad! Fried this, cheese covered that every night. I am amazed we were not bigger than we actually where!

I want to shout from the rooftops to people to shut up and stop making excuses. This is really not that hard. You have to want to do it. So SHUT UP AND DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Now, my worst habit is telling people how many calories they're eating. I have to bite my tongue alot. I don't want to be "that girl/*****" LOL
    [/quote]

My DH does the same thing! He actually did that at lunch with his boss one day, brave I know. The next time he saw his boss, he had lost 12 pounds and is using this site. Sometimes it only takes 1 person to make you realize how bad you are eating!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I know. My friends hate me now... They think we can never eat out and I am always telling them how bad their food is. I think they are all excited for me, there are a couple who I know are jealous because they choose to do nothing but pack on weight.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I want to shout from the rooftops to people to shut up and stop making excuses. This is really not that hard. You have to want to do it. So SHUT UP AND DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally feel the same. My mum and sister are grossly overweight now. My sister is at least trying to do something about it.. albeit half-heartedly but my mum has 'tried' on and off for year and I think she has given up. At first she was supportive when I lost weight, now she is mean about it because it shows up just how awful her eating habits are. She tries to feed me crap and send me home with buckets of food every time I go around.

She is only mid 40's but I worry everyday I'll get a phonecall that she has had a heart attack or stroke. I just want to shout at her I don't want you to die, look at me, it's not that difficult!!!
  • asudheimer
    asudheimer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been eating much much better since joining this site. I do find it ironic though, that my ad banner above was a cheesy Papa Johns pizza for $11 and my side banner is groupon with like cupcakes or something... subliminal messaging and traps everywhere! lol
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I have been on MFP religiously for 10 days! I know it's not very long but my husband made a comment to me today and it really made me think.... I was telling him how I have had 800 calories today and MFP is telling me that I still need to eat over 1000 (it's after 5pm already) according to MFP. He said something along the lines of since I started tracking my calories I am aware of what I eat and am eating a lot less than I use to. There were times that I would eat 3000 - 4000 calories and not even realize it!

It makes me feel good to know that I can eat wholesome foods and stay full for a long time and not binge. In the past 10 days there has been 1-2 days that I have gone over my allotted calories but I am still learning and have definitely done a 360 with my habits!

I have also exercised for an hour today and tracked the calories with my heart rate monitor. Before you couldn't get me off the couch for anything!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Starbucks addict, big time. At least 4 times a week for me, and we're talking Venti White mochas. Once I reallllly looked at it and realized I'm packing away 400-500 just in liquid, OUCH! Now I limit myself to one time a week, MAX. And I typically get a Grande Skinny Caramel Macchiatto. I miss the White Mocha's but not for those calories!
  • beckibb
    beckibb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. I am just getting started. Please give me some encouragement. I really need to lose 60-75 pounds...........Thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!