HOMEMADE YOGURT

Options
I just ordered a Yogurt maker. I didn't get the more expensive GREEK yogurt maker because I discovered GREEK yogurt is nothing but regular yogurt strained and drained. The health benefits of Greek yogurt are simply amazing!

If anyone has one, could you share what you have learned....using different types of milk, how to jazz up the finished product w/o adding 10 zillion extra calories, etc. Never had one of these things so I need all the help I can get. Thanks a lot.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? If so, I would return the yogurt maker. Easy to make it in a crock pot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqIVvoC7nM
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I make my own raw goat milk yogurt a half gallon at a time on an electric stove in an old steel saucepan--nothing special. Heat till 185 degrees F, remove from heat, cool to 100 degrees. I add five tablespoons of starter yogurt from a previous batch, along with a half tablespoon of unflavored gelatin to thicken it. I cook it in a small rectangular casserole dish on warm for nine hours, then immediately cover it and put it in the refrigerator. I don't think it needs to be "jazzed up," but I do like it with a tablespoon of Polaner spreadable fruit with fiber. Making your own yogurt is so easy and it really tastes much better than the hyper-blended stuff in stores. :)
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'll Have to learn more about this. I love yogurt, but the processed ones in the store have sooo much sodium! I know...The key word here is processed. Home made is always better for you and better tasting...
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My parents used to make yogurt back when all that was available was Danon. It's literally boil, cool, add cultures then cover well and let cool overnight. No gadgets needed. Google and I'm sure there are tons of my fellow Balkans going into detail about the process.