Can't make it to the Gym :(

Options
acrooks94
acrooks94 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying really hard to lose weight, but due to financial hardship I cannot get to the gym. Will running and doing at home workouts help me lose just as much weight as going to the gym?

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Working out is great for your health and can help you eat more as you lose. You can lose weight just fine without it. If you want to run and workout at home, great.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just watch a YouTube exercise DVD? Won't cost a thing...
  • amwood1528
    amwood1528 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    To honestly answer your question you're looking at the wrong part of weight loss; weigh loss is two parts: diet and exercise. To really loose weight you need to focus on your eating habits. Honestly, you can lose weight just by changing your diet. Do not diet, make a lifestyle change.

However, at home workouts are effective!!! I suggest you go to Instagram for ideas. There are a lot of fitness trainers who post videos of various exercise that can be done at home. Some use equipment and some don't. But you can buy some work out stuff and Walmart for $5-10 dollars.

Best wishes,
    Ms. Doubleu
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Workout at home. You have a pc/laptop, go to youtube and do a fitness video from there. And yes, weight loss comes from a caloric deficit so you don't have to work out to lose weight.

And there are plenty of MFP'ers who work out at home, if they can you can too.
  • Dancetherapist
    Dancetherapist Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A really quick, efficient way to tone up your arms/shoulders/core is to hold a plank for 3 minutes. Within that time you can switch it up a bit with side-planks or plank jumping jacks/mountain climbers etc...an effective workout in 3 minutes that you can do anywhere!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Calorie burned are calories burned, no matter how you do it. I haven't been able to get to the gym for a couple months for the same reason, and I admit it's way harder to find the motivation, but it can be done.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    The best part of joining a gym is access to the weights. Cardio is cardio and I have done all mine at home.

To lose weight, all you need is a caloric deficit. To widen the deficit and increase endurance, you need cardio--running, machines, videos, whatever. To build and strengthen muscle, you need resistance training. The gym is wonderful but not necessary if your only goal is weight loss.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Working out is great for your health and can help you eat more as you lose. You can lose weight just fine without it. If you want to run and workout at home, great.

This. You dont need a gym, so dont worry and get your deficit under control first.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with a set of weights bought at Modell's; and I'll do exercises with YouTube, or dance around to some music for a while - the cats don't quite understand it all, but they like to watch, and I'm a very warm body for them when I'm done.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, the only workout equipment I had was a pair of Nikes and one 10lb dumbbell. My best friend lost weight at the same rate and didn't exercise at all. Like other people have said, the main thing is a caloric deficit. How you get that deficit is up to you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    acrooks94 wrote: »
    I'm trying really hard to lose weight, but due to financial hardship I cannot get to the gym. Will running and doing at home workouts help me lose just as much weight as going to the gym?

Thanks guys :)

Yes ... you don't need to go to the gym to lose weight. Actually you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. But if running and doing workouts at home is an option, that might be a better option than the gym anyway. At least running gets you outside into the fresh air and sunshine. :)

• joyfulton94
    joyfulton94 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    YouTube is awesome. I'm a water baby and go to the gym 5 days a week for water aerobics but during TOM I'm all YouTube. I'll do Yoga one day, walking in home, zumba, hip hop dance, and body weight exercises all in my living room for free. I understand not "needing" to exercise to lose weight but for me, in order to create a significant deficit I need exercise so I can eat enough to be satisfied.
  • Dannilee2013
    Dannilee2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you search leslie sansone on YouTube you will see some great walk at home workouts.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes you can work out at home rather than at the gym and get similar results. some of us avoid the gym, just not part of who we are
    a calorie is a calorie is a calorie
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are you near a public library? Lots of workout DVDs there available for check out. Also, some free fitness apps to download if you have a smart phone that supports such things.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. For exercise, walking is free.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You can lose without one bit of exercise.

Not one bit.