Addicted to 2000 calories a day

Options
Runningforlove
Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I was a runner last year, (which is what helped me loose 30 pounds the first time) but after I lost the initial weight, I became accustomed to eating 2000-3000 calories a day to keep up with mileage. When I stopped running I still ate 3000 or more calories a day until I grew a little depressed about weight gain and out on another 10 pounds from binging (I have a history of bulimia so my stomach can hold crazy amounts of food)

I know if I deprive myself, I will binge, but I also know if I continue eating like this I'll never fit into my jeans again (which are all just a little too tight) and I don't have money to buy new clothes.

What do I do? Help! I need ways to stick to 1500 or 1600 calories a day

Replies

• Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think a therapist might be helpful especially since you have a history of bulimia
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Bhlinebee wrote: »
    I think a therapist might be helpful especially since you have a history of bulimia

Oh gosh, I agree.

@Runningforlove, please call your doctor immediately for a referral to an eating disorder program.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Why not just keep running? No therapist needed for that. I don't get these people, to be honest. Run and run and run like you used to do.
  • weathersrabbits
    weathersrabbits Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How about somewhere in the middle? Jog/Run and go see a therapist! Exercise helps fight depression and seeing a therapist might help you break the chains from your food issues.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What made you stop running? I agree about the professional help as well, you need to have an outlet, someone to talk to that can deal with those type of issues.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, if bulimia might become an issue again, you need to talk to a therapist. This is probably a good idea anyway.

You may also want to look at your diet and try to make some changes so you feel more satisfied. Maybe increase your fat and/or protein levels, and possibly fiber.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Why not just keep running? No therapist needed for that. I don't get these people, to be honest. Run and run and run like you used to do.

What? She's talking about depression and eating disordered issues, and your answer is to just keep running?

No, the problem is overeating and bulimic tendencies, the latter of which have a way of rearing their ugly head when you least expect it. Believe me just keep running is not the answer. I know, I've been there.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have never been bulimic but I DO suffer from being hungry with that amount of calories as well. I use protein to go with fruit with me snacks helps...for example I eat 1.5 c of strawberries and I have a hard boiled egg with it for my snack. I also eat a lot of raw veggies to help bulk up my meals when I have something like a sandwich! Even have a glass of milk with your meal will help! I do walk everyday ranging from 30 minutes to 1 hour which also gives me more calories I can play around with plus the sun is good for me as I get severely depressed easily! Be kind your self, and take it easy, and listen to your body! Oh I also treat myself to 1/2 c of sugar free ice cream (I'm diabetic)...chapmans makes it and I eat it every day...I just make sure I measure it (1/2c)...so I don't feel depriived as I KNOW I will overeat if I don't give myself those small pleasures in life! I hope this helps!
  • Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish I could afford therapy! I've had eating disorders all my life and it's been so painful, but my insurance won't cover it and I'm broke. I didn't quit bulimia until I started puking blood, and now that I can't (out fear of killing myself) I have to focus on health.

I NEED to be able to run without my thighs rubbing together. Just because I have issues doesn't mean I don't deserve advice, if anything I need it desperately. Please, just help me. I want so badly to be healthy and no to binge and worry about ruining my body.

pa
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Bhlinebee wrote: »

Oh gosh, I agree.

@Runningforlove, please call your doctor immediately for a referral to an eating disorder program.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    That sucks that your insurance company won't cover care!! I can't understand that :(

Check this out then:

ANAD coordinates a national network of free support groups facilitated by approved leaders or professionals, in order to assist individuals and families in a greater understanding of the complexity of eating disorders and maintaining lifelong recovery.

http://www.anad.org/eating-disorders-get-help/eating-disorders-support-groups/

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options