Is it possible to gain 2 kg (4.4lbs) in a weekend?

I am going to be honest I went from 69.1 to 71.1 kg from Friday to Monday and it is freaking me out. This to me seems like a huge weight change for a matter of days. I weight myself everyday, to keep track of my fluctuation, but this seems like a huge increase.

It's really heart breaking because I've been working really hard to stay below 70kg and make progress toward 63 kg.

Yes, this weekend was not my "healthiest". We went out for dinner on Saturday (a good friends Ph.D. Defense) AND Sunday ( My boyfriends Mother's birthday). I probably did exceeds my calories by more than in my diary on Saturday. We had Mexican on Saturday, which made me sick in the late evening. On Sunday morning I did go on a 45 min run which for me is a lot and it made me feel a bit better and weighed myself after the run at 69.4 kg ( a more acceptable weight for me). Last night we went out again but went to a Thai place and I had a relatively small portion for dinner with only approximately one cup of rice.

Now, I'm feeling completely bloated, specially in the face, and constipated. Do you guys/girls have any suggestions? Today is a lifting day for me, but I'd probably include a slightly longer run to make me feel better. Sorry to bother you guys/girls with what might be a seemingly stupid question but It's just super demotivating to see the numbers jump up that much so quickly.

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Yep very possible and not a problem. It's just your water weight/glycogen levels going up. Nothing major. I put on 16lbs in one week.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Probably water and food weight.
    Weigh yourself in another few days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    More exercise than usual + sodium can do that for me. Like, for example, going for a long, long bicycle ride and then eating pizza.

Could be all the salt in the Mexican and Thai food you ate.

Try drinking a little more water than usual ... just plain water.
    Sometimes I find drinking a cup or two of plain tea (no sugar, no milk, no honey) helps.
    A slightly longer run, like you are planning to do, might help as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    scale weight - yes of course it is

but it's water weight

Unless you think you ate 15,500 calories over your maintenance and your body is like some kind of mad time machine

you have extra food in your body, extra sodium and it is holding on to water weight

and all you need to do is avoid the scale for a few days then re-weigh

I consistently post my weight loss chart on here that shows, even at maintenance my weight going up and down in a 5lb margin .. because we don't have a scale weight, we have a scale weight RANGE

don't sweat it
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    if you're feeling constipated - fibre (I like berries myself) and lots of water
  • myweightloss2016
    myweightloss2016 Posts: 147 Member
    To actually gain 2 kilograms you have to eat 7000 calories more than recommended. So that is 5000 more than needed a day = 10000 calories too much.. I don't want to say that's impossible.. I know people who can eat that in one binge.. but considering your story.. no!
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    This happened to me over the Bank holiday weekend at the end of May. 4 days later, back on track and below where I was before the weekend with no special changes. It happens, but seeing the number on the scale isn't nice!

(My "mistake" was too much beer and grazing at BBQs)
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks guys/girls. This is what I thought, but wanted to hear it from others just to make sure that I wasn't excusing myself for having actually gained that much weight. I do know that I have a tendency to retain lots of water, specially when eating high sodium foods, which is why I try to avoid eating out as much as possible. It's good to hear it from others.