What kind of "group" class are you looking for ?

Options
As a fitness instructor I find myself grasping at what my students are looking for. Attendance always starts out strong and as time passes the classes tend to shrink. At first I thought ok it is me, but all my feed back is positive. I have talked to several other instructors who seem to struggle with this. Right now and for the past few years Zumba has been the hot go to class. Personally, I am over the craze. I still LOVE zumba, but I want to see something new. I am left wondering what is the next thing going to be ? Can I make something up ? So here is my question to my readers... what is it YOU are looking for in a class ?

Replies

• AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    me too, me too! i'm an instructor and would love to the feedback as well. i'm with you Nicki, we need to freshen up the fitness industry in my area too. i'm a Zumba instructor along with aerobics and cycling (been teaching 14 years) and im tired of the dance classes. i designed a Rock N Roll class same as zumba but with music we all grew up with and new music which became more popular than the zumba but after 4-5 years of teaching it, im tired of it. i don't know if you've noticed in your area but "old school" aerobics have vanished and "easy" aerobics (zumba/dance classes) have taken over. ppl in my area don't want to exert themselves in any way. they don't want "hard", they want easy. don't get me wrong. my zumba classes are kick *kitten*, meaning we dance very hard and burn on average 500 cals.....i love the good ol bootcamp style classes, hi/lo, step, weight training classes too but they are fading away. it seems the serious athletes only come to those classes, it's hard to get new ppl to try them because they are harder. sooooo im all for giving us new ideas! let us help you become stronger, healthier group fitness nuts!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do an amazing legs, bums and tums class. When I started in September, there were between 4 and 8 of us. Now every one of her classes is so full the ones at the back can hardly move. It's like aerobics with resistance bands. Really good music, and the instructor is lovely, encouraging, engaging, and doesn't let up for anyone, so you just have to do it. And it gets results.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love my kickboxing class! It's great because we are always moving and doing something. AND I feel like I can protect myself a bit in case something bad happens.

Maybe coming up with a way to combine yoga/pilates with something more cardio - tap into a couple of other crazes and maybe do something more fun for you.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Last season my 5 yr old attended wrestling class. I don't know if you could get away with the same kind of stuff that they do for "games" but maybe a play like you were a kid class. The key here is a wrestiling matt that covers the entire floor lessining impact and chances of injury.

They had one where they would put a long rope on the floor and wiggle it as you ran over it, the wiggle is random and if you get touched you are out until everyone is out, last man standing wins.

Another was wolves and sheep. A few wolves are designated at the start and they get on the line on all fours in the middle of the room. The sheep have to get past the wolves, at least one knee or hand has to touch the ground and if it does the sheep becomes a wolf, again, last man standing wins.

the other was dodge ball, but if you can catch the ball then it is yours to through. You could do some variation in there and add obstical courses for the beginning of the hour, something like agility ladder/cones using times, soldier crawl, shin high hurdles, for ppl who can do them, higher hurdles etc.

I realise most of these may not be possible due to space/insurance issues but it's a thought.
  • motherinme
    motherinme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's really the "type" of class that I would look for as it would be the time of day. I would LOVE it if the gym I went to had more early morning classes so I could go before my husband left for work/kids had to go to school. They offer the mid-morning classes (RPM-Bike, Body Pump-Weights, Yoga) but it's so hard to get everyone ready and out the door to make a 9am class. Just my opinion :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I thought of another thing. I am not a gym member, but I wish they did more of each class. I really want to do Zumba, but they only do one class a week, in the evening, and I can't do evenings.
  • nickicaylor
    nickicaylor Posts: 27
    Options
    your Rock N' Roll class sounds fun !!!
    I teach Zumba and a Body Boot Camp Class. I have to admit I love the boot camp class so much ! It is a hrad work-out with lots of strength training.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    As a user and not an instructor, the key to me enjoying a class is that it makes me work. Our Zumba class is so lame, I can burn more calories walking my dog and then she gets something out of it too!. If I can get a bigger workout running on the treadmill than what the class will provide, I'll hit the machines.

I belong to the Y and am an avid spin junkie. I will cheerfully do double spin classes (depending on the instructor-music is KEY). I will do group classes though and truly wish we had body pump first thing in the morning (8:00). At our Y though, the 8:15 classes have so many older folks in there (good for them, I hope to be just like them when I get their age) that the instructors "dumb down" the classes. Well that means the fit, younger (and I'm 48 so I'm not THAT young!) get bored.

The classes that are super full right now are the combo cardio/sculpt classes that they have at 9:00 and those are TOO full. There is a class that is 90 minutes long that is called the Power of 3 and it involves cardio/sculpt/yoga. She does tons of fast tabata type reps, the music is fast and for the strength component it's all body resistance (burpees, mountain climbers, pushups and planks til you wanna die!) and compound movements. Even though this class is hard, it's always packed and has a range of fitness levels doing it because it's fun!

Hope this helps!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    My gym offers tons of group classes, and I would take advantage of them but I'm kind of nervous to just walk into a class for the first time. It's a combination of anxiety about not understanding what the class will be like, the people that will be there and just walking in overall. I can walk up to a machine just fine, but the idea of walking into a class scares me.
    So I'm not sure where you teach your class but maybe walk around the area and encourage people to come. My community rec classes have free trial classes where it's all new people and experienced members can't attend - that might make it easier for some to come and try it out.
    To keep people coming, maybe change up the music or the style of aerobics you're doing? Just to keep it fresh. I used to do Jazzercise but we did the same dances all the time and they got old.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have only ever been to a few classes I have to admit.

What I would look for in a class if I went to one though is that it was fun, I didn't feel pressured but I did feel motivated.

I have absolutely NO RHYTHM. I mean, I can't dance to save my life. I am even worse than someone with two left feet, which means I really, really struggle with classes. I feel like an absolute idiot cause I can't do everything!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Any kind of face paced interval class. Also there are not enough lunchtime workouts availible. Even like a solid 30min noon class would be awsome. I wish one was availible for me.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love my kickboxing class.
    I also take "power"
    It's a weight lifting class. Super fun and a great workout. We use a step, barbell, and extra plates.
    Also, I take a class called Centergy. it's a mix of yoga, pilates, and stretching.
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    wow! great input!!! love the Power of 3 90 min class! please keep the ideas coming! let us know the pros and cons of what you like and dislike!

tchristine24--i was in your shoes a long time ago. i started at a gym and i remember my 1st group fitness class as if it was yesterday. i was nervous and unsure of how it was going to go but i took my 1st step in the class and never looked back. i've been teaching for 14 since since that day. i was 80 pounds over weight and remember there was a skinny pole in the middle of the room and i tried to hide behind it the whole time. like no one could see me....but i did it and so happy that i lasted the whole hour. i went back and tried it again. each time i got a little better and next thing i knew, i was in the front row and then teaching. we ALL have our 1st time. i want to give you some insight of what really goes on in class from an instructor view and as a "student".

we are all there for one reason....to get a good workout. when you take a class, you are concentrating on you and you only. ppl think everyone in the room is looking at them, which is not the case. it is hard to look in the mirrors while following choreography and look at other ppl. i've been teaching many years and still look at the room in general. if i focuse on one person, it throws me off balance and knocks me of beat. most ppl are there for a friendly enviroment, they don't want pointed out and certainly wont point you out. it will take several classes to get adjusted with routines. all instrs have diff personalities and style. take a variety of classes and get a feel of every style. some instrs you will "click" with some you won't. grab a friend to join you if that will make it more comfy to try a class.

i have found that teaching a class like my Rock N Roll, Zumba or Cycling when i turn the lights low and disco ball or colored light show going, i get more ppl in class. maybe find a class like that to start off with. when we owned our gym, we had very little ppl use the cardio room with the treadmills and elliptals because i talked everyone who walked through our door to try a class at least one time. many prefer group fitness because they are so much fun and the time goes so fast. i'm a cardio junky but cant tell you the last time i spent an hour on a machine. you will have more success at reaching your goals if you do something fun and look forward to attending. i cant stand hitting the treadmill for an hour by myself but i have no problem walking in the park with a friend. try to find something that you enjoy doing a few times a week. good luck!
  • AEROBICVIC
    Options
    BUMP
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The problem I've had with any gym I've belonged to is the hours classes are available. The times seem designed for retiree's and stay at home mom's. I can't take a class at 10 on a Tuesay, I'm working! More evening (after 5 ) or early (before 8) classes would be lovely. Also maybe a free first time class to try it out. As a beginner it's intimidating to try out a class especially if there's not a lot of info in the brochure (which is usually the case). A realistic review of how the class would be rated (beginning, intermediate, advanced) is also helpful. DON"T tell me it's for 'everyone' because they never are. :)
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is the Body Fusion class. Its cardio with hand weights/resistance bands/body bars (I think that's what they're called...the bars that are 9/12/15 lbs). We do a lot with the Bosu. It's fast paced and different every time.
    They also do a shorter (30 minute) Core Fusion class that kicks my butt!
  • motherinme
    motherinme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melindalamb
    Options
    I love my Kickboxing class!

Butts and Guts Boot Camp

Insanity Workout Class