How to stay on track over Winter

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Where the heck is it winter?

Seriously? Australia for one. And the rest of the southern hemisphere. lol.
    You might want to look at your calendar again. lol.
    You might want to sue the Texas public school system.
    The solstice is 6/21. I didn't know Australia uses a different definition of winter than the rest of the world, but the entire Southern Hemisphere certainly doesn't.

Australia and New Zealand both consider winter to start 1 June. For what it's worth, they may be northern hemisphere but the UK also considers seasons to start on the 1st of the month and not solstice dates.

Apparently South Africa also considers seasons to start on the 1st of the relevant month. Looks like there's a fairly even divide world-wide.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

The solstice is 6/21. I didn't know Australia uses a different definition of winter than the rest of the world, but the entire Southern Hemisphere certainly doesn't.
    Australia is June 1. Otherwise, ok, in a couple of weeks it will be *technically* winter. Do you only feel cold etc. when it's *technically* winter or when it's colder out?
    It'll be 95 here today. That doesn't make it summer. But it is interesting to know that Australia doesn't base its definitions on solstices. I wonder about equinoxes.

I've worked in Australia a couple of times and there was a girl that on June 1st came to work in a winter coat, winter hat and gloves. You would have thought it was freezing outside but it was far from it. When I asked someone what was going on I was told, "Today is the first da of winter". Uh....so. I thought it was pretty lol.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Australia is June 1. Otherwise, ok, in a couple of weeks it will be *technically* winter. Do you only feel cold etc. when it's *technically* winter or when it's colder out?
    It'll be 95 here today. That doesn't make it summer. But it is interesting to know that Australia doesn't base its definitions on solstices. I wonder about equinoxes.

Lol. okay. Nice google save, btw.
    I don't need a Google save to know when the equinoxes are. That's precisely why I asked the question: the equinox isn't here yet.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Australia and New Zealand both consider winter to start 1 June. For what it's worth, they may be northern hemisphere but the UK also considers seasons to start on the 1st of the month and not solstice dates.
    I literally had no idea that they did this. I wonder if they do other weird things, like drive on the left side of the road.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I literally had no idea that they did this. I wonder if they do other weird things, like drive on the left side of the road.

Well, duh, it's called the coriolis effect. Same reason water goes down the drain the opposite way? ;)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Well, duh, it's called the coriolis effect. Same reason water goes down the drain the opposite way? ;)
    Maybe they should define pi as 3, for simplicity.

• jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Winter best time to put the graft in in time for next summer! That's the way I think about it :)
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Sadly that's not true. It was one of the first things I tried when I moved from the US to South Africa. It goes the same way. The Simpsons lied to me.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Ok, pedantic arguments about the weather aside:

I was a fan of the slow cooker for winter, I lived off meaty stews! I rarely exercised though, but I had MFP set to sedentary then (moved to lightly active in the spring!) I sat and knit and ate and it all kinda evened out. On one hand I wasn't exercising, on the other I NEVER ate out, so I had total control on intake.

Ymmv of course, good luck and keep toasty my southern friend!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options

June 1 is the first day of winter.
    September 1 is the first day of spring.
    December 1 is the first day of summer.
    March 1 is the first day of autumn.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok, pedantic arguments about the weather aside:

I was a fan of the slow cooker for winter, I lived off meaty stews! I rarely exercised though, but I had MFP set to sedentary then (moved to lightly active in the spring!) I sat and knit and ate and it all kinda evened out. On one hand I wasn't exercising, on the other I NEVER ate out, so I had total control on intake.

Ymmv of course, good luck and keep toasty my southern friend!

small insults aside, I'm a huge fan of slow cooker meals in winter as well!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I guess that's pretty much the way it would have to be once you stopped basing it on the earth's rotation. I'll have to strike them off my list of retirement locales, despite the great white sharks.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I guess that's pretty much the way it would have to be once you stopped basing it on the earth's rotation. I'll have to strike them off my list of retirement locales, despite the great white sharks.

Because of the dates the seasons officially begin?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

So that puts Christmas on June 5th right?
  • Machka9
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

So that puts Christmas on June 5th right?

:lol:

No ...

But ...

Funnily enough, just yesterday an ice cream truck parked itself outside my house and sat there playing Christmas tunes while trying to attract neighbourhood kids.

Two odd things about that ...

1) An ice cream truck in the middle of winter??
    2) An ice cream truck playing Christmas tunes in June??

(And as a Canadian who moved to Australia a while back, I still have trouble getting my head around Christmas in the summer.)

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Because of the dates the seasons officially begin?
    Yes. That kind of willy-nilly abandonment of astronomical events just isn't tolerable. I could get past the Christmas during the summer thing, otherwise I'd have to rule out the entire Southern Hemisphere, but this is just a bridge too far.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    NinjaChinchillaNZ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For the record I live in New Zealand, and Winter "officially" starts on June 1st. We had a sudden very cold snap a couple of weeks before Winter "officially" started. I've had a few people suggest getting a slow cooker, I just might do that!
    And to the person who suggested moving house because of my unsafe neighbourhood - bit drastic don't you think? Auckland has some of the most expensive house prices in the world, and a shortage of available housing so it's not exactly an easy thing to sell up and buy a new house in a better (and more expensive) area!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    A South African resident here - I started on MFP about 2 months ago, just as it started to get cold and the last week has been really freezing. Soup has been my savior - Woolies Ready to Eat fresh soups. I fit biscuits in too. Eggs are great winter food too, if you enjoy them.

I am not giving myself a hard time about my lack of exercise in the chilly weather as I never eat back my exercise calories any way. If my willpower is going to be in short supply, I would rather use it for controlling my calorie intake than for making myself get on my bike. Better results that way. I know my urge to be active will return again when it gets warmer.
  • Machka9
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For the record I live in New Zealand, and Winter "officially" starts on June 1st. We had a sudden very cold snap a couple of weeks before Winter "officially" started. I've had a few people suggest getting a slow cooker, I just might do that!
    And to the person who suggested moving house because of my unsafe neighbourhood - bit drastic don't you think? Auckland has some of the most expensive house prices in the world, and a shortage of available housing so it's not exactly an easy thing to sell up and buy a new house in a better (and more expensive) area!

I think we had the same cold snap over here in Tasmania. It was a couple weeks before winter officially started, and someone flipped a switch and it was cold.

I always have to laugh at the "just move" suggestions. :smiley:

Do you have La Zuppa soups over there? I've just recently discovered them, and they are wonderful. A little high in sodium perhaps, but I'm OK with that ... but they're low cal, tasty, and filling. :)

And we're in the process of setting up a workout area in our basement (a few Tasmanian homes have those things! ) and I've spent some time lately riding my bicycle on the trainer down there. Much nicer than rugging up and braving the cold, and wind, and rain outside.

If you can, set your treadmill up in front of the TV and watch some of your favourite shows while walking/running.

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Just think, if you keep working throughout winter, how good you will look when summer comes. rather than taking your layers of wool off and going 'oh no i have turned into sludge'