Getting Discouraged

Options
Hi - I joined MFP a few months ago, but only really started actively using it a couple of weeks ago. I would like to lose about 15 pounds. I have been quite diligent with tracking my eating and staying within my calorie limit, and have been exercising, both cardio and strength training, harder and more than I ever have before. I have not lost an ounce, and might have even gained a pound. It's just very disappointing to be stuck on a plateau right from the outset. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm sticking with it, but am getting very disappointed and discouraged. Any suggestion or feedback are welcome. Thanks and good luck to all!

Replies

• ErinCHolla
    ErinCHolla Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you losing any inches? Maybe it just hasn't shown on the scale because you are gaining muscles. I try not to pay too much attention to the scale (it's hard though) and try to pay more attention to how my clothes are fitting. I know it sucks to put in so much effort to see little or no results, all you can do is stick with it and hope to push through!
  • niccccci
    niccccci Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check your inches! I've had weeks where I wasn't losing any weight even though I was eating well and exercising. I'd usually see a big drop after that. The last 15 is pretty tricky also, from what I've been noticing. Just stuck with it, as long as you keep eating less and moving more the numbers will start moving again :)
  • StevenCabral
    StevenCabral Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I it a plateau after losing nine pounds on MFP then I changed up my workout routine and took a good look at what I was eating.
    I love instant noodles and I began to eat them because they are easy and satisfying, well they are also full of salt and the salt made me retain water keeping me from losing weight.
    You must look very closely at what you are eating, stay away from processed foods even if you can have them calorie wise.
    Also, you may want to recheck your MFP profile perhaps you entered in your weight incorrectly.
    Don't lose hope, just picture yourself how you would look once you reach your goal and it will come. Don;t get discouraged.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks Erin. That's a good point. I do feel a little less flabby, which is a step in the right direction. I'm still determined to lose, it's just hard not seeing much in the way of results! You're smart not to pay too much attention to the scale. Thanks for the encouraging words.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    I would look at the type of food you are eating. You will lose weight if you eat a twinkie diet and burn more calories but it's not the best way to do it! Eat heatlhy foods and save treats for, well, treats! Make certain you are accurate with your calories burned and extremely accurate with how many you consume. It might take your body a little bit to get used to the changes you are making and I agree with the above poster to pay attention to your clothes and measurements. The scale is fickle and isn't the most reliable way to know if you are getting smaller especially if you are lifting weights. Make certain to drink, drink, drink your water too! Don't give up, you can do this!
  • suehirschberg
    Options
    I can certainly relate, as I am in the same boat and somewhat disgusted. Then I sat myself down and tried to figure out where
    I am going wrong. I found that eating two little chocolates a day could be one of the culprits, not always measuring the way
    I should, and figured one or two more little bites will not hurt, but guess what they do. It is SO HARD to stick with it and
    stay within the calorie count. Normally I am under so thought oh well the chocolate and extra bite account for that. No, not
    a good way of thinking. Also I was not pushing myself as hard as I should of with cardio and weights, tired after a hard day
    at work did not help either. So I know where I went wrong so need to do something about it. Just like you.

Somebody in MFP said take one day and just eat all you want and as much as you want and start over. So I did, had a blast
    doing so and enjoyed and went back on the program the next day. I watched everything I put in my mouth measured and really
    pushed the exercise. Oh another thing I did was set up my home for exercising so if I did not make it to the gym I have weights
    CD's and yoga mat ready. Guess what a week later I lost a pound, now I am determined to loose another 5lbs by the time
    I get to the MD in June. I know it is possible, I just have to stick with it.

Will let you know. Hope this helps you a little or a lot.
  • virginia65us
    Options
    HI Sue - Thanks so much! I think you're on to something. Maybe those little bites here and there are adding up to more than I realize. I have a terrible sweet tooth and am probably best off just avoiding sweets altogether because one bite invariably leads to another. I like your idea of having your weights and CDs at the ready too, as I have been good with the exercise lately, but can easily slip into a lazy pattern if I'm ot careful. You look fantastic for your age, by the way. I wouldn't have known your age from your photo. Thanks again.
  • virginia65us
    Options
    Thanks very much. Looking over my food diary, there's some stuff in there that isn't of the highest quality even though it's OK from a calorie standpoint. I think I just need to be a little more diligent about eating the right things. Thanks again!
  • virginia65us
    Options
    Hi Steven - Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I'm eating more junk than I realize, even though the calorie counts are fine, and as you pointed out, salt can be an issue. I should drink more water too. You appear to be making great strides. Keep up the good work and thanks again for your advise.