Afraid when I stop dieting I'll gain back

Options
I have been dieting for 1 year as of yesterday and gone from 210 to 147 pounds. I am 2 pounds away from my goal. More important is that I am off meds for type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. For the first time in my adult life I am in size 8 jeans and a medium top and weigh less than my sister. (she's always been the skinny one) :p I feel so much better physically and mentally. But I am afraid after all this hard work I will gain it back. I don't want to be part of that statistic. How do I start eating more and not gain?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself about calories and what your body needs. I'd think you've learned a thing or 2 in the past year that should help you in the future.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    doreen your regain is 100% certain if you go back to your old eating lifestyle. After 40 years of yo yo dieting I have change my eating lifestyle. I stopped losing weight for 90 days and maintained without gaining a pound but did fluctuate +/- 2 pounds.

Lose 10% and maintain for 6 months then repeat over and over is thought to be the best way to prevent regains.

One does not keep losing weight like to the point of death. I went off sugar, grains or most all carbohydrates and I never plan to start eating them again to keep my pain low and delay my death.

Because you are concerned I expect you will come out OK. :)

Welcome to the MFP forums.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I was afraid when easing into maintenance, too. I actually had to fight to keep from losing more, and had to gain a little. I worked so hard on my fitness that it became a habit. Keeping up with my workouts makes maintenance easier, because I burn so many calories. Try some new activities and see what "clicks." Staying busy and doing something fun takes your mind off the food--if you're anything like me, and eat out of boredom;)
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good advice here. I've found that by making small changes to my diet, I've now developed habits that are ingrained into me. With 100+ pounds lost and about 20 more to go, I have no concerns whatsoever of slipping back. Just keep doing what you know is right. :)
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I would stop dieting then and just make a lifestyle change.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I didn't do anything losing weight that I didn't plan on doing after I was in maintenance. The only difference being the # of calories I intake so no, I don't really worry about it. After losing and counting calories for a period of time, you should have the knowledge of what your body needs and what your intake needs to be to maintain (whether you are logging your food or not).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!