Running

Options
2»

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I just wrote this a day or two ago, but it bears repeating:

Part of the problem with this type of discussion is that terms like "hard on your knees" are used without a common definition.

Running is a high-impact activity. Because of that, running is associated with a higher rate of injury. However, the injuries associated with running are not usually *degenerative* type injuries--i.e. deterioration of the cartilage or bones themselves. The vast majority of injuries are *overuse* injuries to soft tissue--tendons, muscles and ligaments.

So, if you are referring to actual joint damage, then the statement "running is bad for your joints" in NOT true. In fact, running can actually strengthen the joints.

If you modify the statement to read "running has a higher rate of injury to soft tissue", then the answer is YES--very much so.

The risk can be managed through proper footware, appropriate training plans, stretching, muscle strengthening, etc. However, given the increased stresses of running, some people will find that they just can't do it. Running will expose any biomechanical defects.

In terms of calorie burn, it is all about intensity. In most cases, running is inherently more intense than walking, and thus will result in higher calorie burn. There is a small range of racewalking speeds where the racewalking stride is less efficient than the running stride and so racewalking will burn more calories (i.e. has a higher intensity) than running at the same speed. However, for most people that will never be an issue. In most cases, if you have the ability to race walk at that high of a speed, you have the ability to run even faster, so it wouldn't make sense to walk unless there was a physical reason why you could not run.

The equations that are used to predict energy expenditure for walking or running are only valid for a certain range of speeds. For walking, it's 4.2 mph and slower; for running, it's 5.0 mph and faster. If you are running slower than 5.0 mph (12:00 per mile), you are most likely burning more calories than you would walking at that same speed, however there is too much variation between individuals to develop a valid prediction equation.

The old saying that "you burn the same calories per mile, regardless of speed" is only partly correct. It is true when comparing walking speeds to walking speeds and running speeds to running speeds, but NOT for comparing walking speeds to running speeds. In other words, a person walking 3.0 mph will burn the same number of calories per mile as they will walking 4.0 mph, and someone running 6.0 mph will burn the same number of calories per mile as they will running 7.0 mph, but someone walking 4.0 mph will burn significantly fewer calories per mile than they will running 6.0 mph.

Not everyone can run--the impact demands of running and the intensity of running are too much for some people. Not everyone wants to run.

The energy cost of walking can be boosted in a number of ways:

1. Walking at an incline--this is esp useful on a treadmill. Turn down the speed, crank up the hill, let go of the handrails, and you can approximate the calorie burn of running.

2. "Power walking"--an exaggerated arm swing (thumbs come up to shoulder height)--with or without hand weights--can increase the intensity of your walk.

3. Walking with a weighted vest--personally, I don't think this is as effective, and it could increase the risk of injury, but there are some ways to incorporate this in a walking workout.

4. Race walking -- this can be very effective, but there is a higher learning curve associated with it--you really have to work at learning the technique.

As I have always said, people should not be afraid of running--but people should not feel compelled to do it either. Like any exercise modality it has its pros and cons. You just want to make use you are basing your decision on facts, not "sayings".

I think I'll print this off and pass it out when people tell me "You are getting older (um, I'm 28) and probably need to switch to walking instead of running now."
  • wannabthin4life
    Options
    I attended the arthritis walk to support a friends father, and the director of the walk I suppose she travels the world for these events and she said running is the worst thing for knees and joints and it really scared me. I assumed she knew what she was talking about because she was a runner for a long time, but on the other hand there is a like and 80 year old man who runs at the gym each day on the treadmill and he looks fine. I'm just confused. She said walking and fast pace walking was an excellent and safer exercise on hip and knee joints. I'd rather try to jog and burn more fat and build resistance to not getting tired so fast.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience... I became a runner at age 36. I did not grow up athletic. I was 60lbs over weight & I had ALWAYS had weak knees & ankles that would pop & make sort of a crunching sound when I walked up stairs, first rolled out of bed, etc.

I've been running long distance for the past 4 years... and my knees & ankles are stronger now than they were in my 20's. Yes I have aches & pains from time to time... running 15+ miles does make 'em stiff. But I run responsibily... I wear proper footwear, and I pay attention to my running form & posture on every single run.

I would never discourage anyone from running... it is, in the most simple form, our natural abiltiy to move! Please research the topic... below is a link to a great article on arthritis, joints, & running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-285--12232-0,00.html

Happy Running!! :flowerforyou:
  • wannabthin4life
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience... I became a runner at age 36. I did not grow up athletic. I was 60lbs over weight & I had ALWAYS had weak knees & ankles that would pop & make sort of a crunching sound when I walked up stairs, first rolled out of bed, etc.

I've been running long distance for the past 4 years... and my knees & ankles are stronger now than they were in my 20's. Yes I have aches & pains from time to time... running 15+ miles does make 'em stiff. But I run responsibily... I wear proper footwear, and I pay attention to my running form & posture on every single run.

I would never discourage anyone from running... it is, in the most simple form, our natural abiltiy to move! Please research the topic... below is a link to a great article on arthritis, joints, & running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-285--12232-0,00.html

Happy Running!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the link! You just really inspired me to just keep on moving and train properly. Thanks again!!
  • wannabthin4life
    Options
    I just wrote this a day or two ago, but it bears repeating:

Part of the problem with this type of discussion is that terms like "hard on your knees" are used without a common definition.

Running is a high-impact activity. Because of that, running is associated with a higher rate of injury. However, the injuries associated with running are not usually *degenerative* type injuries--i.e. deterioration of the cartilage or bones themselves. The vast majority of injuries are *overuse* injuries to soft tissue--tendons, muscles and ligaments.

So, if you are referring to actual joint damage, then the statement "running is bad for your joints" in NOT true. In fact, running can actually strengthen the joints.

If you modify the statement to read "running has a higher rate of injury to soft tissue", then the answer is YES--very much so.

The risk can be managed through proper footware, appropriate training plans, stretching, muscle strengthening, etc. However, given the increased stresses of running, some people will find that they just can't do it. Running will expose any biomechanical defects.

In terms of calorie burn, it is all about intensity. In most cases, running is inherently more intense than walking, and thus will result in higher calorie burn. There is a small range of racewalking speeds where the racewalking stride is less efficient than the running stride and so racewalking will burn more calories (i.e. has a higher intensity) than running at the same speed. However, for most people that will never be an issue. In most cases, if you have the ability to race walk at that high of a speed, you have the ability to run even faster, so it wouldn't make sense to walk unless there was a physical reason why you could not run.

The equations that are used to predict energy expenditure for walking or running are only valid for a certain range of speeds. For walking, it's 4.2 mph and slower; for running, it's 5.0 mph and faster. If you are running slower than 5.0 mph (12:00 per mile), you are most likely burning more calories than you would walking at that same speed, however there is too much variation between individuals to develop a valid prediction equation.

The old saying that "you burn the same calories per mile, regardless of speed" is only partly correct. It is true when comparing walking speeds to walking speeds and running speeds to running speeds, but NOT for comparing walking speeds to running speeds. In other words, a person walking 3.0 mph will burn the same number of calories per mile as they will walking 4.0 mph, and someone running 6.0 mph will burn the same number of calories per mile as they will running 7.0 mph, but someone walking 4.0 mph will burn significantly fewer calories per mile than they will running 6.0 mph.

Not everyone can run--the impact demands of running and the intensity of running are too much for some people. Not everyone wants to run.

The energy cost of walking can be boosted in a number of ways:

1. Walking at an incline--this is esp useful on a treadmill. Turn down the speed, crank up the hill, let go of the handrails, and you can approximate the calorie burn of running.

2. "Power walking"--an exaggerated arm swing (thumbs come up to shoulder height)--with or without hand weights--can increase the intensity of your walk.

3. Walking with a weighted vest--personally, I don't think this is as effective, and it could increase the risk of injury, but there are some ways to incorporate this in a walking workout.

4. Race walking -- this can be very effective, but there is a higher learning curve associated with it--you really have to work at learning the technique.

As I have always said, people should not be afraid of running--but people should not feel compelled to do it either. Like any exercise modality it has its pros and cons. You just want to make use you are basing your decision on facts, not "sayings".

Oh yes, definitely going to share this one with others as well. Thank u for posting this!
  • Ginagee71
    Ginagee71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would think of it this way... Will you being doing any more damage running than if you stayed overweight??
  • stephjhudson
    Options
    Yes, running is hard on your joints, its a high impact activity, but you shouldn't be discouraged, especially if it is something you find that your really enjoy and that makes you feel good. If you are really concerned, consult your doc before you start a jogging regimen. It is so hard to fit that "exercise" you like to do, so if you found it, I say stick with it. People that are super negative about you running are just jealous of your motivation to do it :)

A few tips to avoid injury and minimize that "impact" effect. Get GOOD running shoes. I mean, if you really want to make jogging something you do regularly, regardless of the mileage, get good shoes. These are a bit of an investment, expect to pay anywhere from 75-100 bucks. These are then good for 300-500 miles. Some people buy tennis shoes and think "eh, they look in pretty good shape" but they are really broken down (even if they don't look it). Start with a fresh pair of running shoes (I love Asics, but there are a lot of great brands) Also, stretch after a jog, ice any sore spots, start out slow...meaning, if you are new to running, don't overdo it or try to run too fast. that will tire you out right away and you'll feel like you can't. Take your time, slow your pace, try to stay "running or jogging" over a certain amount of time first. 2 minutes running, 4 minutes walking, and alternate for 30 minutes....gradually increasing your run time and decreasing your walking time. this may take awhile, its not overnight. but it will happen.

but seriously, buy new shoes, take it slow at first, stretch (especially those achilles tendons) YOU WILL DO GREAT :)
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started trying to jog since they say its the best way to burn fat and have a healthy heart. I went to an arthritis walk this past weekend and learned that running is the worse thing you can ever do to your joints. I'm a bit discouraged because i have started trying to jog on the treadmill or outside at the park- maybe for about 3-5 mins at a time and i feel good after but since i have heard that it's really bad for our joints I am thinking I should stop.. any thoughts on this from any runners?

as with anything its the toll it can have on your body in the future, I'm sure you can find stories of both extremes, those who have had great experiences and were lucky to not have any repercusions from it as they have aged, and those like my father in law who ran marathons and has had both knees replaced (one knee done twice) and has a difficult time with that knee to this day (painful and hard to get around).

you need to do what you are willing to put up with in the long run, I myself am terrified of the impact on my body and have only run about 3 times in my adult life so far (i'm 40) but I do the eliptical which has much less impact. if you have the oportunity to run on grass, cushioned tracks etc, I'm sure you will be at a greater advantage of less termoil later on. good luck to you on your journey.
  • stephjhudson
    Options

2.) There is no shame in walking. I started running by adding long "leaping" strides into my walk (like running, just slower). A mile is a mile - you're burning roughly 100 calories per mile regardless if you're running or walking.

About the running burning same as walking in same distance.....not necessarily. Google it, there is a lot of new research out there that says running burns more. BUT the fact remains, there is NO shame in walking ;)
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    I always thought good running shoes and running on grass instead of the road makes it a bit gentler on the joints. Have u thought about power walking as an alternative?? But if you love running, carry on go gentle, stop if you feel any pains, always do your warm up walk and stretch after and try grass if you can. I think even barefoot running is suposed to be good for your joints(I'd never risk it where I live tho :S )
    Xx
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at being told you should switch to walking at the advanced age of 28. :laugh:

I started this past year at 38. I run with my 25 year old niece and my 54 year old brother. At the races we've been to, the bulk of the runners are in their 40s through 60s. My brother's age bracket is the most competitive... where there might be 7 or 8 runners in my bracket, there'll be 25 in his.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    . BUT the fact remains, there is NO shame in walking ;)

Ask Jeff Galloway
    http://www.coolrunning.com.au/general/1999e001.shtml

Links http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If I had a nickel for every out of shape person who told me how bad running is for me, I'd be a rich man!
  • vjles
    vjles Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 20 years, in that time I estimate that I have ran around 20,000 miles!!!

I currently run 160-170 miles per month and have ZERO problems with joints etc.

................and no, I'm not jogging ............I'm running ...............erm, and I'm 60 in August!!! :flowerforyou:
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think many people don't take enough time to:

1. Stretch
    2. Get the proper equipment -- shoes, etc.
    3. Research proper running form and correct poor techniques like heel-striking

I recently researched proper running techniques and it opened my eyes how to run while reducing the stresses on my body and preventing injury. I see so many people running with styles that have so much impact on their bodies and it's very avoidable.
  • austrya
    austrya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about your joints, do some exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your joints before you start any running. Do that every day for about 2-3 weeks, then gradually start walking and running.

Also, running outside is actually great for your joints because the turning, uneven terrain, hills, etc., all strengthen the muscles around your joints and increase your stability.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    that's a bunch of bologna -- I've been running for years, and have zero joint pain -- most running injuries are completely preventable with proper shoes, training and proper form. If you hear someone griping about their running injuries -- I can nearly guarantee they were doing or wearing something wrong.

*sticks hand up*

AGREE. - biggest thing ever is stretching! people don't stretch properly and it gives insane muscle pain when you don't stretch properly.

(if anyone has been paying attention to me or my posts lately - let it be said that although I'm a runner, I didn't get a runner injury. A car did that for me!)
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 2 weeks ago. Im doing the C25k. I have had 3 knee surgery. Im going to keep on running as long as it don't hurt. I really hope it don't cause i injoy it.