High Protein Lunch ideas?

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
Hi All

I want to concentrate on trying to up my protein intake and I tend to have salads for lunch with meat or prawns but its becoming boring and not very filling.

Do you have any tasty lunch ideas for me.

Thanks,

Replies

• mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maybe add some carb if you aren't finding it filling? tuna with mayo and salad on wholemeal bread, add cous cous, quinoa, potato or rice to salads. Or if you are low carb, some marinated chicken or a burger topped with bacon and cheese with avocado salad...or add boiled eggs into your current salad. I have 1400 cals of:

Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with bacon done in a little olive oil

Am snack: oat cake/rice cake with 15g peanut butter, 15g linseeds(eat throughout the day) and tea

Lunch: Marinated chicken 170g, 100g cooked broccoli, 150g cooked brown rice

After workout: 1 scoop protein powder(18g protein), 1 egg, little unsweetened cocoa (mixed to make a choclate mug cake)

Dinner: 1 can of Tuna in water, light mayo, salad on 2 slices of wholemeal bread

That is 140g protein, around 64g fat and 88g carbs...23g of fiber tho too.
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try adding canned canneleni beans or similar to your salads? Also anything else with lentils, pulses, etc.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My current lunch is 4 x Jacobs crispbreads, 50 g jalapeno hummus, 2 salad tomatoes and 100 g grapes. About 10 g protein but surprisingly filling.

I've also recently tried salad made from rocket, watercress and baby spinach, 3 tbsp each red kidney beans, cannellini beans and chick peas, half a green pepper, 3 tbsp chopped spring onions and 2 tbsp low fat dressing.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i like to batch cook on Sundays and prep for the work week. I roast or grill a few chicken breasts (and i season each one differently), roast a piece of salmon and make a large batch of quinoa/wild rice/farro, ect. This way I can throw in a steamable veggie in the microwave in the morning, grab my protein choice, my carb & the veggies when they are done and have a full meal ready to go.
    This week I grilled 3 chicken breasts, and made a salmon salad with grilled corn, roasted bell peppers, black beans and avocado with a chili lime vinaigrette. I just have to chop up some lettuce and throw the mixture on top. I also made a grilled asparagus and onion frittata for breakfast & have it portioned out for 4 days as well as a heirloom tomato & feta salad to have alongside my chicken.
    As far as snacks i love to take hardboiled eggs or string cheese!!
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I find chicken and avocado salad particularly filling, but yes, adding pulses to your salads as mentioned above - chickpeas, lentils or beans should help. Soup with a couple of slices of bread is filling if you're not low carb (could always have something else with it if you are though), or things like leftover stew makes a tasty, filling lunch. I occasionally have an M&S sundried tomato and feta cheese pasta salad if I've not bought lunch with me - surprisingly filling considering the portion is small, and low calorie.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Beans, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese are great sources of protein. I mix plain greek yogurt with sugar free jello powder and fruit for a tasty snack. Same with cottage cheese, but I add pudding mix (dry) I cook lentils with taco seasoning and make taco salad or a wrap with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Large garden salad with 4-6 ounces of grilled chicken
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oven broiled Chicken Breast 4 oz ... great source of protein!! I also change up how I season the chicken every so often. With that I do something like a cooked sweet potato or red potato (4oz) or 1/2 cup brown rice. You could also change up your salad to a cup of steamed vegetable of choice. This keeps me full until my mid afternoon snack. I prep everything in advance, 2-3 days worth so there is no worrying about lunches for a couple days. Heats wonderfully in the microwave. I am fueled enough to get me to my mid afternoon snack.
  • BitterSweetWinter
    BitterSweetWinter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can look In my diary it's what I'll be having for lunch today, tuna Salad made with Avacado and Greek Yoghurt. No mayo involved!