Fast Food Friends.

Options
This is my first post in the forums, aside from introductions, so bare with me!
My house has always kind of been the hang out place, our friends stop by on their way home from work or on their days off. I would come here too! As much as I love having my friends around, their complete oblivion to how rude it is to bring food I can't/won't eat into the house and eat it a foot away from me is frustrating. I have dropped little hints, or made little jokes. The response is always some variation of, "Hey, You are the one who went on a diet!" Which is very true! However, you are eating your triple cheeseburger in my living room! Being the only person dieting in the house is hard enough, but when people who don't live here start being a temptation it just seems overwhelming. As serious as I am about this, I just wish they would at least be mildly supportive. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks for reading! -.o
Diana

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Invite them over for dinner, and cook something healthy!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Make them eat in their cars. Welcome them in afterwards.
  • spr_chkn
    spr_chkn Posts: 48
    Options

That is an awesome idea. LOL!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Start sneezing on their crap food!!! :laugh:
  • deesdigitaldelight
    deesdigitaldelight Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Similar situation, except it is my own family who live here who keep buying, eating and asking for the calorie loaded alternative and to boot they also eat the diet stuff I buy specifically for me, making my dieting situation a difficult one.

*Hugs* Stay strong, it isn't easy but it has to be possible.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes especially family members! I know how tempting it was and still can be. Plus when they kept on offering me the fast foods or not so healthy foods I would just say no. Then of course the comments of "Oh you're dieting" died down for awhile until they saw my results...then they say "wow you look great". So they stopped offering the fast/bad foods. Those who aren't in then same boat as us cant really understand it unless they've been there before. I think they might be jealous deep down unless they are happy with themselves overall...but we are striving to get healthy and lose the weight! Stay strong and remember that it just takes time and committment!! :)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I do I have this problem.....My boss buys my lunch for me everyday, we order out. You know how hard it is to find healthy alternatives when eating out!!! I have asked to opt out of the free lunch program and he said NO, and took offense to it. It is my health that is in jeopardy and his feelings are hurt! So I am usually just not hungry 3-4 days a week, or not feeling well. It's hard when you have all this food in your face!

Better yet, if I leave dinner up to my hubby, he automatically does that fast food option, I get so frustrated. It is hard enough to make wise choices for myself and keep in check with my eating habbits let alone have to worry about him and his binge eating.

I really feel sometimes that people want me to fail!!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    often..i have a veryyyyy overweight friend who in a subtle(although i love her) way tries to make me break. i may bend but it is frustrating. i try to eat before we go out so i am not hungry

• strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options

I love that idea
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    thankfully.... I don't have this problem. But I would let them know how serious you are about your "dieting" and ask them to eat before they come over or before they come in (the person's idea about eating in their car is awesome!!)

Stick to your guns girl!! Great post.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    You probably won't change their behavior, but maybe view it as a challenge that you can overcome? Like "this double cheeseburger is in front of me and I'm not even eating it." Or realize that you're eating better than them and you can keep eating healthy and losing weight!
  • Zombina
    Zombina Posts: 5
    Options
    The car idea was awesome! However, my friends will just get fussy and say they will go home. Which is in no way what I want, I just want to be able to relax in my own home. I feel kinda hopeless with their attitudes.