how i curbed sweets...

Options
jld12323
jld12323 Posts: 13 Member
As a sufferer from migraines, I never though my most favor food was actually making me sick... I am one of these lovers of chocolate... But recently, after tests and studying, I found my reason for migraine suffering... CHOCOLATE. yes my most FAV snack.. Nothing to eat a BIG BAG OF M&M'S.
SO noe that I know what HSS been putting me down in bed for 3 days sometimes, I stay away from that food. No migraines for 6 months....
This makes it easy to stay away from sugar because no chocolate, no candy, no sugar. No migraines!!!!!!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great job figuring out your trigger. :)
  • micheledemetroff
    micheledemetroff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I know when I've caved too often...migraine appears!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's great that you found the source of your migraines, but horrible that you can't eat chocolate without being in pain.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    jld that is awesome. It takes time to learn these things about ourselves but when we do they can be life changing.
  • jld12323
    Options
    thanks everyone.. One thing I need to be made clear about the over coming sweets. Even though I cannot eat chocolate grrrrr . I do still have still have cravings for the stuff. I can smell chocolate for a distance, and even though I only get the migraines from ingesting the food, I still have to listen to my body when it says NO CHOCOLATE. When you stay away from eating this food, you are made more aware of how much chocolate is out there. Including my favorite 2nd food Gummy Bears. They also make chocolate gummy bears. I guess what I am trying to say is....... I don't care for migraines ,so I need to leave the chocolate alone.
  • GA_belle
    GA_belle Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What kind of tests did you have to figure out chocolate was the cause or did you do an elimination diet? I ask because my friend's husband has frequent debilitating migraines. He's trying all kinds of medications and has seen several doctors, but he is still having them and they haven't been able to pinpoint any triggers so far.

Glad you were able to identify your trigger.
  • Sunshine1337
    Sunshine1337 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would be very interested in knowing what tests uncovered your trigger. My daughter suffers greatly from migraines.
  • jld12323
    Options
    Well first of all, I had to chart when my migraines hit me, then I had to write down everything I ate up to that point (a lot of writing). then I had to jot down all the foods I seem to crave, I worked with my PCM on this because he was interested in seeing what I was eating and when the migraines hit. What I came up with is I ate chocolate (M&M;s, bars etc... every day M-F. That was a comfort food for me. The migraines hit on Friday afternoon, like clock work, and I stayed in bed with the migraine all weekend, then started a new week with my comfort food. The whole time I was gaining weight also, and not moving much because of the back surgery.. I have suffered for 8 years with Migraines and have been taking medication for them for that long. Had CAT scans, MRI's all kinds of tests to see about the migraines. Little did I know that chocolate was the kicker...

Well after about a month of documentation, and trying to find the variable to the migraine,I stopped eating chocolate, as that was the one food I ate constantly during the week. After about 2 weeks of no chocolate, I was getting headaches, but not migraines just became antsy and ache in head. Dr. told me that was withdrawals from my addiction to chocolate. I decided to work through the withdrawals, no matter how bitchy I got.. and by the next month I had no more migraines. I went through 2 months hit and miss, and come Friday no migraine. I actually was up and active all weekend. I have been this way for 2 years now. I do miss the taste of chocolate , but not the migraine they cause. With being away from chocolate it is easy to stay away from candy in general. You never know just how much chocolate is out there until you stop eating it. I have a fight on my hands every day, but I also have found the will power to just say no to CHOCOLATE. This was my fight to find out what was causing the migraines, but work with your family doctor, Don't try this by yourself, as the withdrawals make you nasty to live with at first. I guess it's what you call "addition withdrawals". Its not fun. but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!