How do you carry H2O while walking?

Jill_newimprovedversion
Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Please forgive me ahead of time if this sounds like a dumb question-( and I searched to see if it's been asked before- to no avail)

I'm just starting this journey, and now that it's getting warmer, I want to walk outside more often.
I have a 20 oz. water bottle I fill and refill often, but it gets cumbersome to carry on a 3 mile walk. Any suggestions? I realize carrying 2 would even out the weight distribution- but I'm drinking it too-haha

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    take a backpack :D you wont feel the weight nearly as much this way. and you'll keep your hands free
  • judijl
    judijl Posts: 13
    I also do 3 miles and take one of the 16.9 oz bottles. I just carry it...it is a bit awkward, but I usualy need a few drinks along the way.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    i use a running bottle, with a hole in the middle, easier to hold
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Camelback FTW!
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    i duck tape it to my arm.

just kidding! try a camelback :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Check out a running store or sporting goods store - you'll find all kinds of options. I carry a small bottle with a hand strap. They also have belts you can get with water bottles hooked on - different sizes, depending on whether you want a 'fanny pack' too, or just the belt. And then there's a camelback, but those are a bit bigger - better I think for longer walks or hikes, or long bike rides.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    I either use the camelback or the stroller basket if I have the kiddos with me. But, a back pack is a good idea too.
  • I have two camelback water bottles and I looove them!
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    go to the medical supply store and pick up a catheter leg-bag. fill it with water, attach to your leg, and drink from the hose that's supposed to go "in."

nah, I'm just kiddin, but it would make people look at you funny!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I have a running waist pack that holds 4 bottles of water.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    go to the medical supply store and pick up a catheter leg-bag. fill it with water, attach to your leg, and drink from the hose that's supposed to go "in."

haha I just may try this.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I have a belt that holds 2 8oz bottles of water.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    FYI- I found a sports bottle insulated sleeve ( come in med and lg-20 oz sizes) with a belt clip @ WalMart for $3.00. The PERFECT solution for the 3 mile walks. Don't need a camelback - won't be consuming THAT much water yet on a trail withOUT a bathroom-haha.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    I have a handful of water belts that I have used over the years for running. When I first started I had a belt that held one 20 oz bottle and it worked very well. I still have that belt but I don't use it too often anymore. My second belt held two 16oz bottles, but by belt now holds three 10oz bottles...for shorter runs now I have a handheld 20oz bottle that literally straps on to my hand so I can't drop it.

Check out any sporting goods store and take a look at the options, a simple belt usually starts around $15-20.

Happy trails!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't know if this would be as appropriate for street walking but my husband and I like to hike and last year he bought me a Camelback backpack. It has water storage in the backpack and a tube that come around to the shoulder so you can drink without digging a bottle out or even breaking stride (I drink WAY more than he does while hiking). I love, love, love that thing. If I put ice water in the water doesn't even get warm on an all day hike.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Gallon water bottle.
    8 lbs of extra weight to carry.
    Left hand always needs to handle more work while walking. Helps burn the extra calories.

Gallon does not work so well running though.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I put a backpack on the dog and make him carry the water. He drinks most of it anyway. :)
This discussion has been closed.