HELP!!!

Options
I started running/walking/jogging about 2 weeks ago. Well I must have sprained both ankles or either stress injured both of them! I haven't been running since Thursday and they are still KILLING me. It hurts to even walk. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

PS: I know it can only be a stress injury because I didn't break or roll either ankle.

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    shin splints maybe

be sure to warm up before your runs and hydrate like crazy
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Internet suggestions can cause more problems than what you are experiencing now. Also, hairline fractures don't necessarily result from breaking or rolling ankles. Again, see a doctor.
  • PHStevenson
    PHStevenson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drink like 100 oz of water a day. I have lost 18.6lbs since I started using MFP but I tried exercising everyday and think I just took it to much to fast. Thanks :)
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Take Advil, or any anti inflammatory. It will help the pain and reduce the swelling. If that doesnt clear it up in a week then go to the docs
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You may be overdoing it for your current fitness level. Give it a couple of days and next time, try toning it down a little. Ease into more volume (progression). You may also want to go to a running store and have them assess your gait. You may have some issues that are causing the repetitive motion issues that good shoes or inserts may help with. If that fails, go see a doctor.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Unless your shins have migrated to your ankles, Its not shin splints.

Chances are you answered your own question- too much, too soon. Rest, Ice, some ibuprofen if you want. Make sure you have the right shoes. Did you jump from nothing to 30 minutes of jogging every day? That's probably enough to kill your ankles, especially if you're in ill-fitting shoes.
  • PHStevenson
    PHStevenson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Um. . yes. I know it was to much to soon, but I felt so good! I did it for about a week before my ankles started hurting me. I took some ibuprofen and my ankles feel a bit better so I think the anti inflammatory is helping! :) Thanks guys!