Protein shakes and other supplements

Options
Hello! I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle and because i'm REALLY weak.. I thought I should start taking whey protein. What do you recommend? How exactly should I take it? Before or after my work-out? Also, I was thinking of taking dietary supplements like for hair, skin and nails. Is it okay if I do so while i'm taking the protein shake as well? Please help!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't know where to even start.

This is going to sound snarky, but I truly don't mean it to be...from what you've posted, it doesn't sound like you have the foggiest notion of how all of this works.

A few thoughts:
    1. You can't meaningfully lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time...the two concepts are complete opposites.
    2. Whey protein doesn't do anything, other than help you get more protein in your daily diet if you don't get enough from the food you eat.
    3. Timing of nutrients is immaterial for all but the most advanced athletes.

Read some of the stickied posts in the top post on this forum and figure out what your goal truly is...lose fat OR build muscle. One requires eating at a calorie deficit, one a surplus. Lifting weights will help maintain muscle mass during a cut (losing weight) and will help encourage muscle grown during a surplus. It can also help you build strength (which is different than building muscle). Cardio exercise helps strengthen your heart and lungs. Eating a balanced diet of carbs, proteins, and fats is a good idea. Make sure you get enough micro nutrients. Calories are of utmost importance - eat less than you burn to lose weight, eat more than you burn to gain weight.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    True you cannot gain any muscle while trying to lose weight, but you can become stronger. So that will help with your issues of being weak. Dietary supplements and protein are usually taken when you can't get them in your normal diet. I say try and get them from food and then supplement if need be. Getting enough protein period is important more than timing, especially beacuse studies vary on the best time to eat protein.
  • sportjunky578
    sportjunky578 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think of BC2Athlete? Is it worth taking
  • mrslrichardson
    mrslrichardson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Beverly International or Eat the Bear Protein. Both of them are pretty clean and taste great. Good Luck!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

This is going to sound snarky, but I truly don't mean it to be...from what you've posted, it doesn't sound like you have the foggiest notion of how all of this works.

A few thoughts:
    1. You can't meaningfully lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time...the two concepts are complete opposites.
    2. Whey protein doesn't do anything, other than help you get more protein in your daily diet if you don't get enough from the food you eat.

Read some of the stickied posts in the top post on this forum and figure out what your goal truly is...lose fat OR build muscle. One requires eating at a calorie deficit, one a surplus. Lifting weights will help maintain muscle mass during a cut (losing weight) and will help encourage muscle grown during a surplus. It can also help you build strength (which is different than building muscle). Cardio exercise helps strengthen your heart and lungs. Eating a balanced diet of carbs, proteins, and fats is a good idea. Make sure you get enough micro nutrients. Calories are of utmost importance - eat less than you burn to lose weight, eat more than you burn to gain weight.

Great advice!
  • mahroukhh
    mahroukhh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

A few thoughts:

Thank you! And I really, really don't so you're right. That's really great advice :)
  • mahroukhh
    Options
    Bronty3 wrote: »
    True you cannot gain any muscle while trying to lose weight, but you can become stronger. So that will help with your issues of being weak. Dietary supplements and protein are usually taken when you can't get them in your normal diet. I say try and get them from food and then supplement if need be. Getting enough protein period is important more than timing, especially beacuse studies vary on the best time to eat protein.

You're right. I will, thank you.
  • mahroukhh
    Options
    I use Beverly International or Eat the Bear Protein. Both of them are pretty clean and taste great. Good Luck!

Thank you!
  • danielleraeburton2015
    Options
    First of all, I don't mean to tell others they are wrong but in this case they are.. You definitely can lose fat and gain muscle. I am the proof for you. I am training to become a figure competitor so I have quite a bit of knowledge on this particular topic.

I'm currently eating 160g Protein, 190g Carbs , and 54g Fats which adds to about 1886 calories a day. I'm 19 years old 124lbs(22.5% body fat) and I do Crossfit 3-4 a week. Crossfit is a lot of intense interval training and lifting in case you're unaware. When I started counting my macros with those numbers I started losing a lot of fat and gaining more muscle. I started at 130lbs only 3 weeks ago. And the best part about the numbers I have chosen is that I feel 100% better than before. I feel great all throughout the day. I used to be extremely tired and didn't want to do anything. Now I go all through my day feeling good and I make it through my workouts without feeling too tired.

I'm not sure if you know but how to find the amount of calories in the nutrients of your food but, you can multiply them and you will get the amount of calories you should have in a day.
    Protein- (g) x 4 = calories of protein
    Carbs- (g) x 4 = calories of carbs
    Fats- (g) x 9 = calories of fat

This way you can also get the true amount of calories there are in your food. Usually they will round the amount of calories down. I find this in almost all foods with a label.

Depending on if you workout and what kind of exercise your doing you should have have good results by increasing your protein. If you're keeping your protein and carbs high you will lose weight(with the right exercise). And obviously with the right foods. I tend to struggle with protein so I'll have a low fat protein shake two times a day. I recently talked to a nutritionist and she told me that for my age, weight, height, body fat % I need to be eating at least eating 1471 calories a day. That number is based on a resting state. That's how much my body needs to survive doing absolutely nothing(laying down all day) and be healthy. I was told to add 250-500 calories to that number based on my exercise.

SUPPLEMENTS:
    Whey Protein is great.. DEPENDING on the amount of fat. Keep an eye out on what you eat. Lots of lean meats with every meal. even a couple slices of lean deli meats for a snack. More protein=more muscle/weight loss.

For increased fat loss and help with keeping muscle: L-CARNITINE (each brand will be different as to when/how to take it, just follow the label)

For Nails, Hair and Skin: I have heard Biotin and Vitamin C is great. I have not particularly taken them, but you simply can google that for more info. I heard a fellow Crossfit member talk about a product called "It Works" and say it works great. She said her hair grew 3 inches in a month.(not sure how true but this is what I heard) I looked it up before as I was interested in it. It costs around $30 but I am so devoted to my health and fitness which gets pricey so I decided to try it another time. I'm also trying to save so I don't like to throw more money around than I need to.

If you want any more helpful advice I'd be happy to answer whatever I can. Or even do LOTS of research as I did. A good website to visit is bodybuilding.com
    Don;t be afraid to check it out just because you may not want to be a body builder per se.. It will give you a lot of great tips on anything you need.

Danielle

• mahroukhh
    Options
    First of all, I don't mean to tell others they are wrong but in this case they are.. You definitely can lose fat and gain muscle. I am the proof for you. I am training to become a figure competitor so I have quite a bit of knowledge on this particular topic.

I'm currently eating 160g Protein, 190g Carbs , and 54g Fats which adds to about 1886 calories a day. I'm 19 years old 124lbs(22.5% body fat) and I do Crossfit 3-4 a week. Crossfit is a lot of intense interval training and lifting in case you're unaware. When I started counting my macros with those numbers I started losing a lot of fat and gaining more muscle. I started at 130lbs only 3 weeks ago. And the best part about the numbers I have chosen is that I feel 100% better than before. I feel great all throughout the day. I used to be extremely tired and didn't want to do anything. Now I go all through my day feeling good and I make it through my workouts without feeling too tired.

I'm not sure if you know but how to find the amount of calories in the nutrients of your food but, you can multiply them and you will get the amount of calories you should have in a day.

This way you can also get the true amount of calories there are in your food. Usually they will round the amount of calories down. I find this in almost all foods with a label.

Depending on if you workout and what kind of exercise your doing you should have have good results by increasing your protein. If you're keeping your protein and carbs high you will lose weight(with the right exercise). And obviously with the right foods. I tend to struggle with protein so I'll have a low fat protein shake two times a day. I recently talked to a nutritionist and she told me that for my age, weight, height, body fat % I need to be eating at least eating 1471 calories a day. That number is based on a resting state. That's how much my body needs to survive doing absolutely nothing(laying down all day) and be healthy. I was told to add 250-500 calories to that number based on my exercise.

SUPPLEMENTS:
    Whey Protein is great.. DEPENDING on the amount of fat. Keep an eye out on what you eat. Lots of lean meats with every meal. even a couple slices of lean deli meats for a snack. More protein=more muscle/weight loss.

For increased fat loss and help with keeping muscle: L-CARNITINE (each brand will be different as to when/how to take it, just follow the label)

For Nails, Hair and Skin: I have heard Biotin and Vitamin C is great. I have not particularly taken them, but you simply can google that for more info. I heard a fellow Crossfit member talk about a product called "It Works" and say it works great. She said her hair grew 3 inches in a month.(not sure how true but this is what I heard) I looked it up before as I was interested in it. It costs around $30 but I am so devoted to my health and fitness which gets pricey so I decided to try it another time. I'm also trying to save so I don't like to throw more money around than I need to.

If you want any more helpful advice I'd be happy to answer whatever I can. Or even do LOTS of research as I did. A good website to visit is bodybuilding.com
    Don;t be afraid to check it out just because you may not want to be a body builder per se.. It will give you a lot of great tips on anything you need.

Danielle

Wow, you sound extremely inspirational! Maybe what I should do is just talk to a nutritionist. Also, yes, I would like to talk to you more! Thank you so much!
  • danielleraeburton2015
    Options
    Of course, feel free to message me if you'd like.
    I've just been told so many different things to reach my goal that never worked and this is what I have found to really work for me so I thought I'd share. I know everyone is different, so results will obviously vary and that's okay. It just means things need to be adjusted to what you need and your goal.

If you want to research it, some topics to look for are macronutrients(basically the counting of Proteins, Carbs, and Fats) and micronutrients(the foods with lots of vitamins/greens/protein *anything healthy* ex:meats, grains and veggies). Look up Macro Calculators if you want to set your macro numbers. There's also a website iifym.com (if it fits your macros) anything pertaining to these things you should get some great articles to read. If you dont want to count your macros you can look up Micronutrient foods they provide and focus on eating those would even help out tremendously.

It's pretty interesting how much your body needs to eat and this is actually my first time on this website today and its already disappointing me how people are under eating and doing crazy diets they don't even need to be doing. I sometimes can't even eat enough to meet my numbers and that's ok as long as I'm trying to reach them. I can't even begin to tell you how great I feel too! Macros are what make your body function at its best. When I first started reading about it, it was somewhat confusing to me and shocking at how much I was supposed to eat but you should really give it a shot even if it's for just one day.. if you do it try and fit a workout in that normally just exhausts you and feel the difference with how you actually feel during and after your workout. I can help you out with ideas for healthy nutrient dense foods that can reach your macro numbers if you chose to do it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

SUPPLEMENTS:

Danielle

IT Works is a MLM scheme and a bunch of crap. I dont even know where to start on the rest of your post.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

SUPPLEMENTS:

Danielle

Lol no
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

SUPPLEMENTS:

Danielle

WTF??? Please don't fall for any of this ridiculous nonsense.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We have seen in our lab that individuals undergoing endurance training increase their protein needs to about 1 to 1.2 g per kg per day, well above the RDA. In contrast, for subjects performing resistance exercises or weight lifting, the RDA for protein seems to be adequate. In resistance training, you are building up muscle and protein is used more efficiently.

I'm currently eating 160g Protein, 190g Carbs , and 54g Fats which adds to about 1886 calories a day. I'm 19 years old 124lbs

I think you forgot to convert your weight to kilograms when calculating your protein needs?
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    We have seen in our lab that individuals undergoing endurance training increase their protein needs to about 1 to 1.2 g per kg per day, well above the RDA. In contrast, for subjects performing resistance exercises or weight lifting, the RDA for protein seems to be adequate. In resistance training, you are building up muscle and protein is used more efficiently.

I'm currently eating 160g Protein, 190g Carbs , and 54g Fats which adds to about 1886 calories a day. I'm 19 years old 124lbs

I think you forgot to convert your weight to kilograms when calculating your protein needs?

I think you meant,
    For muscle building, Proteins (g) = your weight (kg) x 1.4 to 1.8
    This is even greater than endurance training folks (weight x 1 to 1.2)
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »

I think you meant,
    For muscle building, Proteins (g) = your weight (kg) x 1.4 to 1.8
    This is even greater than endurance training folks (weight x 1 to 1.2)

Probably true for big guys doing heavy lifting, but she is a 19 yr old woman weighing 124 lbs. so I was trying to nicely point out that 160g of protein a day is too much for her. What's your opinion?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mahroukhh wrote: »
    Hello! I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle and because i'm REALLY weak.. I thought I should start taking whey protein. What do you recommend? How exactly should I take it? Before or after my work-out? Also, I was thinking of taking dietary supplements like for hair, skin and nails. Is it okay if I do so while i'm taking the protein shake as well? Please help!

Do you have a reason to suspect you are not getting enough protein from your diet? Do you suspect you have certain deficiencies? If yes, talk to your dr. If not, you do not need supplements.
  • mahroukhh
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Do you have a reason to suspect you are not getting enough protein from your diet? Do you suspect you have certain deficiencies? If yes, talk to your dr. If not, you do not need supplements.

Yes, I had a body composition analysis and I do have less protein in my daily diet. Thank you for the advice!
  • ChrisGood412
    ChrisGood412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

June 4, 2015 11:29AM
    Here's the secret... Ready? Perfect for getting your nutrients and leaning out/staying lean!

1 cup of unsweetened Almond Milk
    8 ice cubes ( I just like it with a lot of ice to make it thicker)
    1-2 scoops of Epiq isolates preferably vanilla (Epiq is the cleanest whey protein, for every scoop it's 100 calories 20g of protein and 3g carbs no sugar)
    1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil ( great source of mono/polyunsaturated fats)
    1 teaspoon of flax seed oil (same reason as sesame seed oil)
    1 cup (lid of bottle) of L. Carnitine by Pro Supps ( speeds up metabolism)
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1/3 cup of Crazy Monkey Gingerbread White Chocolate granola (has actually very little sugar 8g and it's the best tasting granola I've ever had)
    1 table spoon of Cinnamon for flavor

All of of this has around 300-400 calories depending on how you make it! It has been the staple of my weight loss as I went from 225 lbs down to 158 since the winter! Given I made it up myself from trial and error but it's about as clean as you can get! Hope someone tries it as for all of my friends love it and have started using this recipe!