Fitbit-does it really help

Options
poissant23
poissant23 Posts: 12 Member
I have been looking into buying a calorie counting watch but first I wanted to know if it actually helps in the weight loss process.
Thx for your help

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's a tool. It works if you use it correctly. I've got a Fitbit and I love it. It has helped me keep track of my activity and I've found that the calorie count is pretty accurate. All in all, it's been a great helper in my loss so far, and I plan on continuing to use it even when I hit my goals.
  • poissant23
    Options
    I am hoping that seeing how many calories I could burn in my workouts would motivate me to do more so thank you for your help :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit zip. I figure knowledge is power. Your steps per day can be a real eye-opener and it is fun to find ways to add more steps to the day.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    poissant23 wrote: »
    I am hoping that seeing how many calories I could burn in my workouts would motivate me to do more so thank you for your help :)

They are great for that. Just make sure if you get one, you calibrate it for your actual stride length. That way, the number is as accurate as possible :smile:
  • Jerlasvegas
    Jerlasvegas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really love the Garmin Vivoactive. Not only does it count active calories during the day, but you can also use it for running, biking and swimming so that it will count your calories and heart rate (with a strap). In addition, you can get notifications from your smart phone right on the watch!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's motivating, especially if you build your friends network and challenge one another. I originally struggle to get 10k/day, but now its routine. Jockeying a desk 8-12 hrs a day, you just learn to get up and take a break every now and then.

I wouldn't rely on the calorie out estimation too much - far too large a margin of error.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor.

Fitbit does have a HR reading watch type tracker now, but I've been reading some iffy reviews while they still work the bugs out. For the most accurate calorie burn numbers, you definitely want something that is taking a constant HR reading.

I wear my Fitbit all the time, but use the FT4 for during workouts then log the calorie burn to MFP (my MFP and Fitbit accounts are linked). This has worked very well for me.
  • poissant23
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    It's motivating, especially if you build your friends network and challenge one another. I originally struggle to get 10k/day, but now its routine. Jockeying a desk 8-12 hrs a day, you just learn to get up and take a break every now and then.

I wouldn't rely on the calorie out estimation too much - far too large a margin of error.

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate for the calorie count, i'm looking more in a motivational tool to keep me moving. Working at a desk all day can be pretty unmotivating
  • poissant23
    Options
    skylark94 wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit One and a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor.

Fitbit does have a HR reading watch type tracker now, but I've been reading some iffy reviews while they still work the bugs out. For the most accurate calorie burn numbers, you definitely want something that is taking a constant HR reading.

I wear my Fitbit all the time, but use the FT4 for during workouts then log the calorie burn to MFP (my MFP and Fitbit accounts are linked). This has worked very well for me.

I've been thinking of getting the fitbit flex, reviews say it's good for the basic but thz a lot for the heart rate monitor idea :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    poissant23 wrote: »

Mmm.....accurate calorie burns for workouts are tough to come by. Different trackers for different workouts.

I have a FitBit. It's best for estimating burns for step based activities. If you walk, this is a decent estimate, if you cycle....it's not. A FitBit is great for tracking ACTIVITY. If you are not sure if you are sedentary, or active...or whatever.....perhaps you need to find your "average" activity level. A FitBit will help.

Many people use an activity tracker synced to a heart rate monitor. If you cycle, this is a decent estimate. If you're looking for a calorie burn for strength training....this is not a decent estimate either.

Calorie burn is not the best measure for workouts. For example, strength training is so good for weight loss....but it burns less calories than cardio. There are tons of possible fitness goals though.

Before making the investment you might lurk around in the FitBit group here on MFP. Get some additional input.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    fitbit sucks. so does polar. Buy a real device-a Garmin!
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I go for long periods without wearing my Flex and then I jump back into it when I want additional motivation. It is good for motivating me to get up from my desk to move. I am a fitness instructor and also a CPA and you'd think with the gym job I'd move enough. Not the case. Even with teaching an hour class some days I only get 6,000 steps if I have a lot of work to do. It's good for helping me to be aware of that so I can cut my calorie intake a bit.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using my fitbit flex again and it is really great for motivation. I've found myself taking more walks or pushing myself just a little more to reach my step goal or to surpass someone in a challenge.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex. I've had it for about five months and I really love it. Initially I had to get over it not being totally accurate and realize that while not 100% accurate it is very motivational. It has become a really easy way to monitor my activity levels. It helps me to fit extra workout minutes in throughout the day and not just at the gym.
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They are great, I find it keeps me motivated to hit my 10,000 steps a day.
  • Chakhmah
    Chakhmah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It does all the math for me. It's great!! Keeps me going just like MFP.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've worn a fitbit for closing in on three years. Besides continuing to log, I owe my long time maintenance to the awareness my fitbit gives me to move more during the day. I challenge myself to get more steps and I find myself up and about considerably more.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like my fitbit flex. I don't really rely on it for the calorie count, even though I have found it to be fairly accurate. I do love to keep track of activity, and try to beat my own records. I don't have any friends there, until today, I added my cousin.

It really all comes down to the fact that it is a tool; it will only work as good as you use it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone and love it - I've been using it since May of last year and I've logged over 4 million steps! It's still motivating even after a year to keep my step count up. My record for a day is 22K steps, once of these days I will beat it!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My monitor is an additional tool to keep me informed and motivated

I need the extra help sometimes.