set back

Options
I have been active and building muscle mass for the past 2 months. Saw results in me and how my clothes fit. Mind set was good.... Then 2 weeks ago we were heading home from a shopping trip. We were stopped at a red light when all of a sudden we felt a sharp push from behind our stopped car. All of a sudden I fell forward against the seatbelt and a sharp stinging pain was felt in my back surgery site ( from a year ago) . it hurt when I moved. To shorten the story.. Fusions not bothered but can not walk like I use too, hours to stand for too long. Back on anti inflammatory pills and muscle relaxers. All that hard work for 2 months out the door. I'm very discouraged. Not sure if I will be able to get back where I was before the accident. . someone give me some encouragement please.

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident!

That said--it has only been two weeks. Of course you're still in pain. I'm not your doctor so I can't give you any specific advice, but how you're feeling now is not how you will feel later. Feel better soon!
  • jld12323
    jld12323 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you.. that is what I am telling myself. Just feels like a set back now to me. I have been doing so good with loosing weight and being active before the accident.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! but what you need to remember is that losing/maintaining weight is down to what we eat more than exercise. While you are convalescing just track your calories more closely and you wont gain. Hopefully with a little time your back will recover and you'll get back to being more active.

Wishing you all the best and a full recovery.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the accident but please don't be discouraged ... really.

I know I'd be devastated as well looking back at the 2 mos of progress lost. HOWEVER it is in those moments that I strongly encourage you to proactively look for the silver lining in a not-so-good situation.
    ie. Difficulty walking or moving is better than being a quadriplegic.

Don't dwell over what you use to be able to do - this is going to drive you mad & cause nothing but emotional misery in addition to your physical one.

Be kind to yourself & take it one day at a time with your clean slate in working with the new set of tools in your different tool box. Stay as active as you can. Track your food and make smart nutritious rich food choices. Don't mindlessly eat. All the things you already know.

You've done it once, you have the knowledge & willpower, try to take it one day at a time & celebrate what you can do today that you couldn't last week.

Unfortunately there's no changing the situation but you can certainly make it better with a different perspective.

Best of luck to you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am sorry. Please help yourself heal by listening to your doctor and PT. But you can do upper body sitting exercises and leg exercises while sitting. You can find them online. It takes a long time to rehab and if you want to get back in the saddle, be gentle, but do it.
  • jld12323
    Options
    Thank you . appreciate the input. I won't let this setback stop me from my goal.... :)
  • jld12323
    Options
    You guys are awesome, your encouraging help is keeping me focused on what I need to do.. even with a set back.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Awww, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. That's pretty scary and a mental blow.

You'll get back on top! Just log your food and hang in there.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a defict then you wont be building muscle.
    Its a setback, but of more immediate importance is you looking after yourself for a speedy recover and as pointed out 2 weeks is hardly any time at all. Work with your physio and listen to your body, maybe you cna start walking again , go swimming or do what the physio advises. It may get completely better so hope for the best and dont worry. Focus on logging as others have said, but use your time off to do other things, such as learn more about nutrition, read articles, talk to your mfp friends, read about new workouts etc, then when you are ready you will have even more to do. Hope it gets better soon. Patience.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! but what you need to remember is that losing/maintaining weight is down to what we eat more than exercise. While you are convalescing just track your calories more closely and you wont gain. Hopefully with a little time your back will recover and you'll get back to being more active.

^^That is what I was going to say!