CALLING VEGETARIANS - PROTEIN IDEAS

Options
krithsai
krithsai Posts: 668 Member
Hello!
I'm looking to lose fat and am trying to do 35% Carbs - 35% Protein - 30% Fat diet. As a vegetarian, hitting those protein goals is nearly impossible. Most of my meals revolve around some type of carb. I'm looking for meal ideas and protein sources suitable for vegetarians.

P.S: I do not eat seafood. Eggs and dairy are okay.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Nuts
    Tofu
    Chickpeas
    Lentils
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Egg whites
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Milk
    Cheese
    Quinoa
    Beans
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    To add to what's been said:
    seeds
    TVP (or other "meatless protein" source)

I have trouble hitting the protein macro as well, but it doesn't concern me much. I think you can do it, though!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Also -- seitan and tempeh.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    in addition to above:
    i'm not vegetarian, but I like greek yogurt for protein. also, check out a bread made by "food for life" called "ezekiel 4:9" bread..... has 4 grams of protein per slice. 4 grams isn't much... but it's BREAD. hehe.
  • krithsai
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    in addition to above:
    i'm not vegetarian, but I like greek yogurt for protein. also, check out a bread made by "food for life" called "ezekiel 4:9" bread..... has 4 grams of protein per slice. 4 grams isn't much... but it's BREAD. hehe.

Protein-y bread! What a huge win :smile:
  • silverbeam22
    silverbeam22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Textured soy protein is a great option! It's sold in lots of different forms but my favourite is the granulated kind! It's so easy to use (just add water) and cheap - great substitute for minced meat in stuff like spag bol or to add to porridge or anything else :) The one I use has 52g of protein /100g.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    lentils! lentils are your friend! see also: beans of most any type. eggs, yogurt and other dairy. check the bread aisle next time you shop, there are lots of high protein breads that can give you a boost.
  • maggie3646
    maggie3646 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about foods, but as someone who rarely eats meat, I drink a protein shake everyday (soy, animal product free) and I'll eat a protein bar if I have a big workout, as well.
  • krithsai
    Options
    I've never eaten meat, so I don't crave it. I actually can't eat anything that looks or tastes like meat. So TVP etc are out I guess. I think I could've worded my question a little better - what does a typical protein rich meal look like? Most of my meals have some type of rice/bread/grain as a major component with vegetable sides.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well it is important to get complete protein so you want a grain with a legume. Such as rice and beans or bread and peanut butter. Although if you are eating dairy this isn't a huge concern. What about black bean burgers? I don't think they are even trying to taste like meat.

Also you should try to make your changes in macros more gradually so it is attainable and sticks.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have the same (or similar) macro goals. I can't remember exactly what my percentages are. You're welcome to add me as a friend and look at my diary for ideas. Since I upped my protein I usually incorporate a protein shake, and my other staples are: eggs, beans, lentils, quinoa, goat cheese (sometimes Swiss), cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, high protein vegetables like broccoli and spinach, almonds, sunflower seeds, edamame beans, whole grain crackers/bread/bagels, peanut butter, tofu, chia seeds, hemp hearts.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for a while and many of the foods already mentioned were my best friends.I enjoyed a lot of flax, temph, rice and beans as staples for many meals. I wasn't counting calories back then and I know many meals were upwards of 800 calories at 130 lbs. Almonds and quinoa were on every salad and 7 bean soup was favorite I never got sick of.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Check this out. I know you're not Vegan, but this can help you along the way. There are many thoughts on protein, I've had more than a few discussions on this forum about it, but I actually lived this diet as a competitive teenager in martial arts for over 3 years. I never skipped a period, was an ideal weight, was strong and never anemic. I don't know how physically active you are, but anyone, at any activity level can eat this way and maintain or gain muscle and lose weight safely. Good luck.

This PhD Registered Dietitian is an aweosme read and very helpful!!!!!

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    I've never eaten meat, so I don't crave it. I actually can't eat anything that looks or tastes like meat. So TVP etc are out I guess. I think I could've worded my question a little better - what does a typical protein rich meal look like? Most of my meals have some type of rice/bread/grain as a major component with vegetable sides.
    A lot of my meals are a dairy protein source with some kind of vegetable or fruit (greek yogurt with berries or a piece of fruit, cottage cheese with tomatoes, etc.) I also do a lot of egg-based meals (quiche or egg casserole with vegetables, vegetarian fried rice with lots of vegetables and eggs). Things like chili or soup with vegetables and several kinds of beans/lentils would be good options.

FWIW, my diary's boring because I eat the same things over and over, but I average 120g of vegetarian protein per day, so feel free to take a look for some ideas if you'd like.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Buy Vital Wheat Gluten and make your own seitan.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and am always low on protein... don't forget about bars & powders.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    http://www.vitacost.com/bobs-red-mill-vital-wheat-gluten?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-039978043221
    You can buy it at plenty of grocery stores. ~$6 gets you 20 servers that are 23 grams of protein, .5 g fat, 4 g carbs including 1g fiber.
    The only issue is it is low in Lysine, but you can mix it with soy, or buy Lysine supplements.
    It is even vegan.
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like to use cottage cheese as a sauce for my pasta or a dressing for my salad. Sounds weird, and don't cook the cottage cheese but just mix it in some hot pasta. Today I loaded cottage cheese with cumin and made a vegetarian taco salad with kale and black beans and hot sauce. As a vegetarian I've just had make sure to eat 3 or 4 sources of protein a day. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs and skim milk in my coffee and I'm there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am not a 100% vegetarian at the moment because occasionally I have meat.
    The way I can get enough protein is to not eat breads, rice, or pasta.
    I have two fruits a day. Everything else is protein:
    Lentils, beans, almonds, eggs, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts, green peas, kale, broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, romaine, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, cauliflower, bok choy.