Need to eat more!

Options
Since I started tracking my food (just started on Saturday) I notice I stay far below my suggested calorie intake. Even under 1200 (keep in mind that I am nursing and deduct another 300 per day for that). I keep getting a message saying I need to eat more calories, but frankly I'm not that hungry - unless you put a big bowl of ice cream in front of me, then I'd eat it!

I need some ideas for snack/small meals that will boost my calorie intake, but are still healthy. So far I've been taking what I would usually eat (somewhat unhealthy choices) and just eating much less of it, instead of changing to 'healthier' alternatives that I can eat much more of. (Keep in mind, I run a home daycare so I usually don't sit down and eat breakfast or lunch and tend to just snack on what the kids are eating all day).

Replies

• MLangseth
    MLangseth Posts: 11
    Options
    For example - I see how many calories I have left at the end of the day and figure why not eat some ice cream since I have 'calories to spare'
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Never force yourself to eat especially at night! Just eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. I don't see a problem with that :)
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Buy more fruit, mix up colors. For instance, I like to eat a whole grapefruit, 100g of blueberries, 100g of strawberries, and an Orange. Or sub out a fruit and add 1 serving Bear naked granola. Colors - yellow, orange, red, blue. :)

I like sweet grapefruit (used to do with sugar) - so I add 1 small spoon (comes with the package) of sweet and low - usually comes up to about 300-400 Calories, has lots of nutrients, fiber, and a little protein.

Filling - and high calorie/nutrient ratio.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Similar problem. I don't eat enough calories, carbohydrates or protein but I go over on the fat and the sodium; doh!

I would suggest breaking your meals down to smaller intervals if you are not already. Eat something in the morning, eat another meal in between lunch, at lunch, between lunch and dinner and if needed a small snack at night; look at 5-6 meals a day. For the most part keep them more balanced so that you are not taking in too many calories at one time. By doing so your body can burn those calories effectively and not store them as fat; not like if you eat larger meals and are inactive.

Hope that made sense.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Try some healthy nuts. Almonds pistachio's walnuts, etc. Calorically dense, good fats and protein.
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    I have this problem too...like right now it's near 6pm and I still have 1142 calories to eat for the day...keep in mind I ate a good breakfast (egg, toast, oj) and a healthy lunch (soup, salad, sandwich, sweet potato fries) I had just and order of perogie for supper...I'm not even hungry...so how do eat 1142 more without eating junk??? I did gain nearly 400 with my exercise. but I'm always way under my calories...yesterday over 800 to little. I had to eat at 10pm so the site didn't tell me that I was "starving" then I ate yogurt and cereal to up my calories
  • MLangseth
    MLangseth Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far! I wasn't sure my post made any sense at all when I wrote it :)

I think I'm going to stock up on nuts, and more fruits/veggies for snacks during the day. I definately forget about eating more 'colors'. I'll be more aware of that now.
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat this for breakfast a lot but it makes a great snack!
    1/2 cup of granola
    1/2 plain yogurt (I prefer full fat)
    1 small apple, cut into small pieces - sprinkle ground cinnamon over it all, mix in a cereal bowl and eat!
    Usually runs 390 calories/54 carbs/15 fat/11 protien - plus its a good way to take in calcium and probiotics (good bacteria) from the yogurt.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far! I wasn't sure my post made any sense at all when I wrote it :)

I think I'm going to stock up on nuts, and more fruits/veggies for snacks during the day. I definately forget about eating more 'colors'. I'll be more aware of that now.
    I just figure, basically, that different colors have different phytonutrients and antioxidants, in addition to the regular minerals/vitamins/carbs/proteins.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. but i'm really not hungry to eat more? i don't want to force myself to eat :o\
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    protein shakes help also if you need calories...
  • jmlabuda
    jmlabuda Posts: 4
    Options
    Try including some smaller meals in between your breakfast, lunch and dinner. By eating 6 smalls meals throughout the day will help to speed up your metabolism which will burn more fat. After a week or two of doing this you will find that your body will adjust and you will start finding yourself getting hungry. I use protein shakes a lot when i'm in a rush to get my extra meals in to increase my caloric intake. The worst thing you can do is gorge yourself at night to make up your calories. Try eating low fat cottage cheese before you go to bed as a night time snack. It has a slow digesting protein which will help your body stay anabolic throughout the night. Hope this helps. If you have any questions or need some help just shoot me a message.