How much Protein???????????

Options
How much protein should I add to my diet? I'm a 6'1" 184 lbs.

Replies

• AndyP2018
    AndyP2018 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Person, Situation & Goals Ideal Protein Intake
    Average healthy sedentary adult (male or female) that does NOT work out or have any related goals. This is just what I consider to be a good minimum daily protein intake for general health/function. 0.5-0.7 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Average healthy adult (male or female) that IS doing some form of exercise regularly or IS trying to improve their body (lose fat, build muscle, etc.). This is the minimum I’d recommend in this case. 0.8-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Average healthy adult FEMALE whose primary goal is building muscle, getting “toned,” maintaining muscle while losing fat, increasing strength or improving performance. 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Average healthy adult MALE whose primary goal is building muscle, getting “toned,” maintaining muscle while losing fat, increasing strength or improving performance. 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
  • tdefranca
    tdefranca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Average healthy sedentary adult (male or female) that does NOT work out or have any related goals. This is just what I consider to be a good minimum daily protein intake for general health/function. 0.5-0.7 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Average healthy adult (male or female) that IS doing some form of exercise regularly or IS trying to improve their body (lose fat, build muscle, etc.). This is the minimum I’d recommend in this case. 0.8-1 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Average healthy adult FEMALE whose primary goal is building muscle, getting “toned,” maintaining muscle while losing fat, increasing strength or improving performance. 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    Average healthy adult MALE whose primary goal is building muscle, getting “toned,” maintaining muscle while losing fat, increasing strength or improving performance. 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Looks like I'm in the right path...
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    T

This looks like a solid plan.

I'm right there with the 1-1.5g number.

• tdefranca
    tdefranca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When should I take it? I bit for breakfast or all at once after my workout. I take Whey.
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    tdefranca wrote: »

If you are over 20% body fat I'd stick with lean body mass protein intake. So you are 180-185, but lean (without calculating fat) let's say you are 160. So take 160. I'm 168, and I hover around 150-170 protein each day.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually do two scoops of whey (40g of protein) right after working out, and distribute the rest throughout my day.

And i agree with this:
    gonebeast wrote: »
    tdefranca wrote: »

If you are over 20% body fat I'd stick with lean body mass protein intake. So you are 180-185, but lean (without calculating fat) let's say you are 160. So take 160. I'm 168, and I hover around 150-170 protein each day.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Muscle fitness website has tons of info about this

What I read and understand is this

A scoop of protein 1/2 hour before my workout so I have those nutrients when I am working. Another scoop after my workout. I use gold standard whey 20g protein for 120 calories per drink.

I only do that one or two days a week when I lift hard.

Some use an amped energy per workout drink.

YMMV

Rest is critical to growth.

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I go with 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight if I'm in a calorie deficit. 1 gram per lb of bodyweight if not in a calorie deficit.

Many differing opinions out there. This has worked for me.